Beatles 2014 mono LPs going out of print...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

I sold two 2014 Peppers a couple of months ago for $80 each. Mint, inspected, but never played. They both sold in 1 day. I have a third one I kept for myself. AAA mono vinyl may not happen again for decades, if ever.

Alex Zabotkin and StateOfTheArt like this.
  2. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I have a spare box I scored for 300€ a few months ago, that's my backup, it's stored in a family member's house, just in case I have a fire or flood !

When I explained to my father the prices those were going for he thought "people are mad !"

Echoes Myron likes this.
  3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Bought two unopened 2014 mono Peppers on eBay July 2017 for $29.99 and $38 respectively. Glad I did when I did.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Echoes Myron and OptimisticGoat like this.
  4. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

MMT climbing to the $100 mark on ebay.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  5. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Has the Beatles camp or Universal ever definitely stated that any of these titles went OOP? If they see the demand for them is so high I wouldn’t be surprised if they reissued them in the future.

It seems odd that so many copies of the White Album, Revolver and Rubber Soul are so readily available in comparison to other albums. Surely those albums are more popular (i.e. bigger sellers) than PPM,WTB, MMT, BFS, and Help? Is it down to the fact that they just pressed more copies of those or are they still making more?

6. A6mzero

A6mzero One foot in the grave, one foot on the pedal

Just bought Meet the Beatles(mono) yesterday for $42 sealed. The only other one of the early albums I could find sealed was Beatles For Sale. I mean at a reasonable price.

Echoes Myron and SoundDoctor like this.
  7. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

Funny- I saw a bunch of these at the LOVE Beatles store in vegas. I picked up a spare Pepper, MMT, and HDN. So, if you're ever in vegas - stop in!

8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

.... and how is that a contradiction? Only fools are buying when prices are sky high. The smart thing to do now would be to wait. :agree:
    That's exactly the line of thinking that makes these high prices, thank you very much! This album will never ever be rerelased in mono, not in a million years! :biglaugh:

But.... hey.... no hard feelings, thanks for the tip! The next 2014 mono "Pepper"s I see are going home with me and straight into thE bay. After all you've got to give people a chance to own this scarce, possibly last time mono issue! Win/ win! :righton:

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  9. teag

teag Forum Resident

Hold your breath until you find one.

A6mzero likes this.
  10. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Please forgive my glibness but it’s “Sgt. Pepper”. That’s what you’re not getting.

11. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

He’s right, y’know?

johnnybrum, Tartifless and A6mzero like this.
  12. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

"Unlikely there will be another wave of mono reissues in the near future" and "not in a million years" are two pretty different things, but either way, you're still missing the point. There's a marketing advantage in letting them go out of print for an extended period of time, especially considering that all but a handful of the 2014 mono reissues are still widely available four years later and the albums that are out of print are only recently unavailable. The mono reissues were the 2014 campaign, the eye of Sauron has since moved on. Once Apple has cycled through current methods of exploiting the catalogue, if there's still demand for vinyl albums, then sure, the mono records will be reissued again. My guess is they're going to be focusing on the single album box sets for a while yet.

Good for you – maybe they're out there. Generally speaking, though, I think a lot of the "demand" for the OOP monos is due to hype from this forum. I don't think the average music listener cares one way or the other.

13. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

I wouldn't call anyone a fool that can afford this hobby and seeks out rarer issues. They're valuable because - there is value there.

SoundDoctor and OptimisticGoat like this.
  14. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I appreciate your points but think you underestimate the difference between the quality of these releases and the typical quality of vinyl releases in the current market. They are valuable because even if they are reissued next year, the pressings may not have the qualities of the recent set.

bluejimbop likes this.
  15. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

To AUDIOPHILES.

Most people

Do

Not

Care

SoundDoctor likes this.
  16. OptimisticGoat

Have you got some typing affliction there or are you actually just demonstrating your inability to read? As to the actual words: so what? Just in case you are lost, this is an audiophile forum. The market for the Beatles in Mono is almost exclusively a market for Beatles fans and audiophiles. The fact that "most people" do not care actually makes the point. When you say to Neonbeam:

… you are only making the point that a substantial broad marketing campaign and reissue for monos is very unlikely for an extended period of time (your words). You are talking about a mass-market campaign (as is Neonbeam). That is not the market that sees the value here.

The actual market is largely satisfied by the 2014 releases and as you say: most non-audiophiles do not care. A reissue to these standards on vinyl is therefore not going to happen for the foreseeable future. Getting back to the issue with value (which was the topic you stumbled into): the value is in the fact that its a premium product in a niche market, increasingly scarce and unlikely to be replicated for the foreseeable future. :)

fantgolf and StateOfTheArt like this.
  17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's absolutely not what I'm doing! The 2014 mono "Pepper" doesn't really qualify as "rarer issue".

Apparently it's oop. Which may or may not be temporarily. I'm just wondering why the people that are now paying 100 bucks didn't get it when it was still easily available. And if they didn't, why now? Why not wait? Because they fear that in the future these will be worth $500? Come on!

Any. Way. Let's see where this will be going. I'm not really convinced they simply won't press up more. Why wouldn't they? Classic album, extremely well made edition. Recently a lot of record companies started to keep their stuff in print. Which makes predictions kinda hard.

But even if it stays oop, nobody's going to tell me, prices still will dramatically increase. Maybe I'm wrong. But I've seen this happen too often. Vinyl goes out of print, prices shoot up, vinyl is being reissued after a couple of months: Damned! :evil:

To quote the late Stan Lee: "'nuff said!"

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  18. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I know, always has been ...

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  19. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

They didn't know about them, or they didn't care. As for myself, I have hundreds of OOP audiophile reissues on my wish list. You just can't get everything at the same time.

JeffreyB, ispace and OptimisticGoat like this.
  20. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Have been posting here longer than you, and have posted plenty in this thread before now. Not disputing the quality of the reissues, simply bemused people think they will be reissued simply because people on this forum missed out on them first time around.

That said, I think the increasing prices on eBay have less to do with the quality of the reissues and more to do with the hype surrounding certain albums going out of print.

ispace, Reader and Mazzy like this.
  21. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Discogs has a sealed copy for $45 plus shipping

MrSka57 and StateOfTheArt like this.
  22. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Weird, then, that last year was the 50th anniversary of this particular album and more copies of the mono reissue weren’t made available alongside the half dozen other associated releases...

Mazzy likes this.
  23. OptimisticGoat

Understood - it would be fair to say that the increasing prices on eBay (which appear to have levelled any way) are a reaction to sudden OOP at the moment. Where they go in the future is anyone's guess. I think the "value" as distinct from price does mean that the prices will remain elevated for most of these titles.

24. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

As I understand it, you just don't just push a button to issue AAA (all analog process) vinyl. When was the last time they issued a AAA stereo Beatles Pepper? (someone must know that one). The demand would have to be very high to justify a reissue of the AAA mono. I'm guessing that there would be little demand for digitally sourced mono Peppers by audiophiles.

25. Pepper is going for that much because it’s that good. And either people that are new to the hobby, new to extensively collecting records (I was in this boat), or who sat on the sidelines too long still want it.

It may or may not be reissued. I personally believe they will do a repress, but with all the 50th anniversary issues it very well could be a couple years if at all. It could be a few months from now, no one knows.

But complaining about basic economic principles of supply and demand is just stupid. Sorry you missed out.

StateOfTheArt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.