Beatles 2014 mono LPs going out of print...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

I just bought two of them, when they were released. One for regular play and the other as a backup -- I am good for many years!!

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  2. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Snap.

broshfab4 likes this.
  3. KennyV

KennyV Well-Known Member

If anyone interested, I was just at the SpinCD's UK website a half hour ago and bought a couple 2014 Sgt. Pepper mono vinyl copies for only $39.00 USD, plus $10 shipping! I had tried every music site I could think of in the past couple months, but all were sold out, it appeared. I thought they were really all gone and came upon this site today, and there it was in stock. Just got confirmation email that they are being shipped, so looking forward to hearing a copy. I chose not to buy the mono box set with the price point so high now, but some weeks back I chose to instead buy a few key later Beatles titles in mono vinyl, and also the red and blue "hits" analog double albums, also pressed by Optimal. I couldn't pay the recent ultra-high reseller prices for Sgt vinyl mono, so glad to finally find it tonight at a fairly normal price still. ☺️

4. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

I've had a few Parlophone originals over the years. You'd be very lucky to find a minty one for $200 or even $300. :rolleyes:

If you're OK with surface noise and/or IGD, you can get a VG copy for under $100. Maybe even VG+, but chances are slim.

I did once find a mint-looking Pepper for cheap, but it suffered from a lot of groove damage. :cry:

Mr. Explorer and The Beave like this.
  5. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

That's the reason I was very careful not to say mint. However it is only a few albums that can go for serious money on a regular basis, there are plenty to be had for less than 100 which are better than than VG. I am not OK with noise but a couple of clicks I can take on an original 50 years old record.

In fact, I must say it's been highly disappointing to buy and pay even more for early editions (not only Beatles) that were described as mint because they weren't.

I have bought others described only as VG or Exc and they were better and cheaper than other seller's overly optimistic "mint". One of the good ones recently a Stereo Sgt Peppers for $70, practically no noise and still shiny, insert had damage but it doesn't bother me.

A few years ago a 1st issue of Help absolutely mint with no noise at all and I think I paid in the 120-140 range. I am waiting for a few now and with the exception of two they were all below 100 and looked pretty good. We shall see...

If you have patience you'll be surprised what you can get for just over double the cost of reissues, possibly all these many reissues are affecting prices downwards. The problem with minty originals is they are risky purchases due to the bad sellers that lie, you can get burn badly.

6. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Well, last weekend I found some absolutely beautiful late 70s UK Beatles Stereos, Revolver, Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road. About $30 each. I was over the moon to get Abbey Road since I just have a generic US copy and there isn't a great reissue option. But, it has some kind of invisible damage or defect. Side two is all full of static on my thin-line stylus. It's much better on an elliptical, but that doesn't really help me. So bummed as it looked like EX+ vinyl and I would be done ever trying to get a better copy.

The Revolver and Sgt Pepper on the other hand, same deal I have a generic 70s US copies and the mono reissues, but hot damn! these UK stereo copies just SLAY! I'm so glad to have them and not the recent stereo reissues. Check the box. Done on those two.

So just to agree with Uglyversal, it really is hit or miss even when you can inspect the vinyl in person.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

I can live with surface noise. It's pretty common for the originals to play better than they look. :) What really bothers me is groove wear. :mad: For example, I have at least four VG+ or better monos of BFS, and only one of them is completely IGD-free (got it in 2012 for less than $100, guess I was lucky :cool:).

Mr. Explorer and Christopher B like this.
  8. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Are SpinCDs reliable?

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
  9. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Thats how it always goes in Beatle vinyl

For instance when MFSL released all the Beatles LPs in stereo no less in mid 80s the one album to become the instant collectors item was WTB

It went so fast that if you blinked you missed it

I'm sure the album decreased in value after the recent RI campaigns

I kept up with all the Beatles history from 64-late 80s

But now it leave it up to the younger generations

Note:AR & MMT were not RI in the 80s as they were issued in late 70s as the first Beatles from MFSL[/QUOTE]

Wasn’t it that some problem manifested itself with WTB and thus only a very small number were ever pressed?

10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

PPM is the very one that I want. I dropped the sleeve from my box set and it’s now creased. Ouch!

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

That's weird. Maybe Rubber Soul and Revolver were secretly re-pressed at a later time?^^

12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Btw I bought a sealed copy of the 2014 mono White Album for 50 bucks recently.

13. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Possibly, someone tried to clean it and used some inferior cleaning fluid or didn’t do a proper rinse. Give the record a good cleaning or use the wood glue treatment if that doesn’t work. It’s helped me out a time or two.

Mr. Explorer and ODShowtime like this.
  14. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Wasn’t it that some problem manifested itself with WTB and thus only a very small number were ever pressed?[/QUOTE]

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Album Discography
    MFSL-1-102 - With the Beatles - The Beatles [1982] (Limited run because of a damaged stamper that was not replaced)

http://www.friktech.com/btls/mfsl/MoFi.pdf
    "The story that a stamper for With the Beatles
    broke during production goes all the way back to
    1987, but it may be false. Stan Ricker wrote th
    at he had no memory of JVC having broken any
    stampers, and, “If a stamper then broke, it would
    then be a simple process of re-plating the
    appropriate metal mother to generate another stam
    per.” Therefore, when I asked him if that story
    could be false, he replied, “I have no idea...Wouldn’t be surprised.”

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Spin cleaned twice already but I will not give up hope.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Not good for my OCD tendencies!

OptimisticGoat and Alex Zabotkin like this.
  17. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

It's 35 bucks on Amazon right now.

18. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Just bought Beatles For Sale sealed for about $34.
    Just got With The Beatles sealed for $45.
    I have Magical Mystery Tour on the way from Austraila for about $43.

My last three A Hard Day's Night, Help! and Please Please Me will be a bit dear but oh well.

19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Too late for me.^^

20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Got an extra copy of WA 2014 mono vinyl myself last fall. Rubber Soul, Revolver would follow. Got 2 sealed 2014 SPLHCB mono vinyls when price was at $30--$40. I got nervous last June 2017 that pepper 2014 mono vinyl would be dried up. So last July and August I found two copies sealed on eBay.

Got two copies of 2014 mono vinyl box on its June 2014 release. Just had to get spares for decent prices. Besides vinyl is an addiction. :D

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    OptimisticGoat likes this.
  21. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

Seems like the Mono vinyl dried up due to multiple purchases by collectors.
    Please put them on the Hoffman site when you sell
    Thanks

22. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Swap you mine for yours?

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
  23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

June y'say? Can you change water into wine, by any chance?

24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I notice that some of these mono editions on Amazon say "Pressed in England" which is what we doctors call "a lie".

I further note they’re refusing to ship them to Ireland.

Mr. Explorer and Szeppelin75 like this.
  25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Wish I could. I feel the pain of anybody who didn't get 2014 box on its release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.