Beatles 2014 mono LPs going out of print...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

In all seriousness, I’ve been toying with the idea of buying the mono box recently. However, I just decided to pick up another of the mono releases and now have 6 of them inc mono masters. In hindsight, I probably would have been better off buying the full box set before but just started collecting the individual ones I wanted and now will probably just stick with what I’ve got.

2. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

Yes, it went out of print in 1967, but there have been a few reissues since then...

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

As an alternative you could buy the box and sell the 6 albums you have. The book is nice, the box is nice, and then you'd have a complete mono Beatles collection.

AnalogJ and ssmith3046 like this.
  4. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

In headphones you sure can... the new mix is louder and sounds more align with the "sound" of modern music. When youre shuffling songs on spotify in a playlist or whatever, it fits more. That was the main goal of the mix by Giles. He wanted it to sound the way it should, sonically, in 2017 so it could blow away a 15 year old today the same way it did in 1967. Apple hates the idea of their music sounding dated. I think it was more than marking the anniversary for the album. It did that and gained attention for the album, but it also gave it a major face lift. Love or hate what Giles did, it made the record sound more modern and in your face. Apple doesnt want people in the future to compare it to past mixes... they just want it to be THE mix of the album.

Shaddam IV and Szeppelin75 like this.
  5. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

nah, it's a way to milk more out of the fans. no one else cares.

iow, teens aren't buying the 50th remix.

Cronverc likes this.
  6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yes, but I have the choice to be milked or not to be milked :)

gonz likes this.
  7. Pretty.Odd.

I don't think teens are going out and buying the box set or seeking out the new remix because its the 50th anniversary or a new remix or whatever. Thats just the version that will be available from now on. Kids streaming the record on spotify will be hearing the remix, kids buying the album on vinyl will now be buying the remix, etc. Its what will be available from here on out. Giles himself in some interview and said the original version will be taken off streaming services and no longer in print on vinyl or CD. It's already beginning! You can't find the original mono or stereo mixes on vinyl anymore.

aina, Shaddam IV and Szeppelin75 like this.
  8. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

How does one know when they will offer 50% off box sets?

9. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

10. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

that is true. rewriting history

Cronverc likes this.
  11. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I was in a TJ Maxx store the week before Christmas and they had on a radio station playing oldies. Penny Lane came on and was playing and....it was the Anthology version with the radically different instrumental break. So yes, the remixes and alternate takes are creeping their way into the mainstream.

andrewskyDE and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  12. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

The mono is, always has been and always will be the definitive mix.

13. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

Except the original stereo is still available for streaming and there are far more copies of the album in mono or original stereo mix than there is the remix.

14. ssmith3046

I agree. I bought a NM 67 UK mono first pressing years ago when they could be bought at a reasonable price and it is the definitive Pepper for me. The 2014 mono release would be my #2.

15. Pretty.Odd.

I'm not saying the remix is better. The mono is 100% the best and my favorite and SHOULD be the definitive mix. I'm just trying to give my two cents on what I think Apple is trying to do

aina, mrjinks and hodgo like this.
  16. Pretty.Odd.

Giles has stated that wont be the case in the near future. And unfortunately, a lot of kids and younger teens go buy their vinyl in shopping malls and on Amazon. I know tons of teens and even my friends in their 20s who buy the majority of their records from places like that rather than digging through vintage record shops. I'm not agreeing with any of these things, I'm simply saying what the future of the Beatles catalog looks like :(

17. JABEE

JABEE Forum Resident

Glad I bought it from the Crate and Barrel deal.

ZippyPippy and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  18. Pretty.Odd.

The 67 mono is a little warmer than the 2014 version IMO. I also prefer it slightly.

hodgo likes this.
  19. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

Darn, Im still missing Beatles for Sale and Help in mono

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  20. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

This is a fair point, and the polarizing response here may have something to do with everyone's ages. I'm old enough to have bought the album in 1967 and I mostly don't like the mix, though I'll listen to it from time to time (on CD). The 2009 remasters also gave the whole catalog a major face lift, or at least a significant sweetening, so the 2017 Sgt. Pepper's most notable attribute to me is that it's very loud.

Clark V Kauffman and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  21. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

You know George had some objection to releasing at least some of the music included on Anthology because it might get confused with the real deal somewhere in the future. Several years ago I was in a grocery store when the Anthology version of A Hard Day's Night was played--the one where the guitar solo is just barely present. I thought "I'll be damned, George was right!"

22. ssmith3046

On my stereo there's a little more bass on the 2014 mono release. Not a bad thing but I think the original has a nice balance to it.

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  23. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Would you fill in your profile so we can see what kind of system you are listening through?

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Maybe I'll put the 1967 parlophone mono on tonight, or the 1967 stereo. Knowing me I'll go to the 2017 vinyl or the 2014 mono. Must keep the originals in stock and out of harms way, but you never know. ;)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    ssmith3046 likes this.
  25. ssmith3046

Go on, pull them out and give them a spin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.