Beatles 2014 mono LPs going out of print...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Well, the Blue Box is a nice set! I'm surprised it still goes for as low as it does (probably around $250-$300 on average), and hasn't sky rocketed in value over the past 5 years. This has been stated many times, but the Blue Box is probably the best value for money in all of Beatles vinyl. Can't say that about the Mono vinyl Box, if it indeed eventually goes for $2k.

Dinstun and fishcane like this.
  2. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Agreed. I think the price difference is due to the fact that the BC-13 box was sold for about 10 years. They were just using the standard LPs being made at the time, so production only required the box itself and the Rarities LP. I wonder how many were sold?

marcb and jdlaw like this.
  3. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Yeah, true that they were the standard issue LPs of the time. What should make them much desirable going forward (besides sounding great and being cut AAA) is that many were rarely if ever played, and can still be found with the records in great shape. I personally bought one a year ago for $400. Maybe a little overpriced, but it is a 1978 US numbered edition (#149) with all the records still sealed. Having sealed/unplayed '70s UK Beatles records was worth the extra $100 to me, and I'm proud to have it in my collection sitting next to my Mono Box.

No idea how many Blue Boxes were pressed/sold total, other than the 1978 US version was I believe 3,500. I'm sure it's a lot, but there's a lot of Mono boxes, too.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Dinstun likes this.
  4. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I think the problem is that a lot of people seem to forget how many millions? Beatles record are around and over the years there are more and more re-issues while there are only so many buyers of vinyl. Many of which will already have their Beatles collection and may be even with lots of repeats. So, to me it is not a surprise the prices don't really go up with only some minor and possibly temporary exceptions.

I often go on about the original UK pressings from the 60's, in my view the majority of those are not really as expensive as most people seem to assume and they are at least the originals, there won't be any more of those but there can always be more re-issues. That is what has kept the blue box down in price.

I have bought a lot of records during the last 12 months, I used to think the new reissues weren't too bad but now that I have most of the UK albums, the more I listen to them the more I don't want to hear any other pressing. I find it hilarious to see what people are paying for a mono version of the 2014 Peppers issue when you can have an original in great condition for that money or even less but that's just me.

john lennonist, Cronverc and jdlaw like this.
  5. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

It is now at $112.50 with just under 4 hours left in the bidding. Will be interesting to see how close it gets to my Over/Under line of $154, as a lot people seem interested in this one up for auction.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    OptimisticGoat likes this.
  6. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

So, you are saying that the reissue is the same as the original UK and in the next sentence you say you have both but never compare them. How interesting

7. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

It sold for $124 - so well under expectations.

8. TheSeldomSeenKid

Yeah, I had fun watching the last minute like the Home Stretch of a Horse Race. I realized I set my Over/Under Line too high when I then saw only 3 people had bids in up until the last minute, then 2 more other people placed bids a 5th person ended up placing a winning bid. I set my Over/Under Line at $154 as thought a New Copy sold for $150 in the past week. If the Seller paid the original retail price for that album, then He/She made out well though.

I wonder in the next year though how many people are going to pay more than $150 for this album. I do not see most people getting their asking price of $800 or more for the Box Set, as assume most Fans who love their entire catalog would have already have bought the Box Set, so if I owned an extra copy to sell, I would not wait too long, unless a person thinks holding on to the Box Set for 3-5 years would get them a really high price. Personally, I do not care for their first 5 Albums(Boy Band Pop Music to me), so had no interest in the Box Set, and just bought the individual albums from Rubber Soul through Mono Masters.

Anyways, it will be fun to watch these auctions in future months.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    OptimisticGoat likes this.
  9. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

Another copy sold for $139 yesterday. Still under $154. :cool:

factory sealed 2014 mono LP "Sgt. Pepper" The Beatles made in Germany MINT cond | eBay

I think it will reach $200 by the end of the year. ;)

Remember, it went over $100 pretty quickly during the last few months. :agree:

At the same time unsealed/not shrink wrapped copies tend to sell for much less.

Beatles in Mono NEW Sealed Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band LP Record Vinyl | eBay

BEATLES - SGT. PEPPER'S - 180gm MONO REMASTERED VINYL LP NEW NOT SEALED,DELETED | eBay

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  10. TheSeldomSeenKid

Yeah, but maybe a smarter purchase to buy a copy from the Box Set, as the Seller can verify that the Vinyl is in Perfect Condition, whereas the Sealed Versions with the Hype Sticker, the Buyer is taken a chance, although have not read too many complaints on Bad Pressings, but assume the Box Sets were better Pressed Vinyl anyways(lower risk of Bad Pressings). Then the Hype Sticker is ugly and blocks the Cover Art, if a person wants to keep the Shrink Wrap on it, but then again being a Gatefold, assume most people will want to remove the Shrink Wrap anyways.

11. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

Little to no risk of groove wear on the reissues though, especially since most copies being offered for resale are brand new. Piece of mind is worth paying a few extra dollars for sometimes, IMO.

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

But is sufficient demand still there?

For them to break even on the box, they probably need to press thousands of them. Even if 5 unique people on every page of this thread would buy one if it was repressed, it would probably still only be a small fraction of what they’d need to sell to make money.

misterclean likes this.
  13. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

Exactly. I'm just guessing, but I think maybe 10 boxes and 25 individual LPs have sold on ebay (if that) over the past couple of months since they've been out of print. What sort of demand does that equate to?

marcb likes this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

A much better analog than the BC-13 for the recent Mono box would be the BM-10.

john lennonist likes this.
  15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I firmly believe it will happen. There's such a backlog at pressing plants that coordinating a repress of 14 LP's simultaneously is probably a bit of a logistical challenge, especially since they'd be pressing in smaller quantities than the initial 2014 release. They'll probably wait a bit, then do a "monos back in print!" hype thing.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don’t think it will happen anytime soon - if ever.

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
  17. walrus

Of course it will, as long as there's money to be made off of it.

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Exactly. Which is why I don’t think it will happen anytime soon - if ever. If it does, it will be a much less elaborate set. No thick box, no laminated flipback covers, lesser QC, etc.

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I am surprised the Pepper new mono lp is going for that much. It wasn't long ago that there were plenty of these for sale for under $30.

20. walrus

As long as they use the same stampers and press them at a good pressing plant, it'll be fine. It's the music and sound that matters. I doubt they'll redo the box, but there wasn't any exclusive content in it, so it's not a huge deal.

21. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

They said they're pressing 1 million LP's total in 2014 and that's it. They even advertised the box as "limited" in the press release. I'm sure this has been covered before.

They're making money off the new remixes – that's the priority, unfortunately. I personally would prefer more AAA vinyl.

At least 5 copies of Sgt. Pepper sold in just one week: cooper1853 | eBay

My advice is get a copy now if you really need it, or forget about it, but don't expect the prices to come down.

OptimisticGoat and markmck79 like this.
  22. walrus

Because big labels have never used the word "limited" to encourage release-date purchasing only to change their minds down the road.

I'm okay with the remixes though. Anything to get those awful stereo mixes off of digital services. I can't imagine kids checking out the Beatles on their headphones, hearing those, and wanting to hear more.

john lennonist likes this.
  23. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

It is, otherwise people wouldn’t pay $100 for mono Pepper alone.

24. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

No. It came with a really beautiful book.

25. walrus

It did. But no exclusive LP's or music of any sort. Which is a good thing for people who needed to build a collection individually over time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.