Beatles 2014 mono LPs going out of print...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes.

2. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I fully understand why your post received so many likes. Because of the quality and desirability of AAA stereo...and/or because some people do not at all want a mono repress. And probably for other reasons, as well.

Yes.

3. The Beatles should be in mono all the way up to and including The White Album, although this album doesn't stink in stereo either.

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If the current stock ran out or is low and knowing demand for Beatles records, recutting them from the tapes, while adding some expense would hardly affect profits. Problem is distinguishing two pressings in the mass market. They likely would have to be marketed as an audiophile edition. I think main barrier is fear of running the precious tapes again.

5. I have one set that I have done just that to for the reasons stated and I am looking to sell it.

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

Absolutely true. :thumbsup:

Forget about the earliest stampers, just look for a clean -2/-1 copy.

How about a worn early pressing pressed from early but somewhat worn stampers? :D Will it also be "the closest in quality to the original lacquers"? :doh:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    SteveM likes this.
  7. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

From @Jae 's book:

"All copies up until 1979 were pressed from UK -2, -1 mothers. All sleeves have the misaligned Apple logo, which was corrected early on UK sleeves. An Australian Abbey Road is a very cheap way to get the UK -2 -1 cut".

And there isnt a black and gold sticker on the sleeve but it does have STEREO in a box on the front right

I Am The Platypus - The Beatles Australian Labelography - ABBEY ROAD ( PCSO 7088 )

[​IMG]

8. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

I think you're on to something. Didn't they copy these tapes 1:1 the last time because of having to clean the heads after every use of the original tapes?

9. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

It seems that you, like many people on this forum assume that because a different country issue has the same matrix stamped they will sound the same, well they don't. If you buy the Australian one you'll be only fooling yourself thinking that you are listening to the same as a first UK press but feel free to do so.

Also, yes you are right it is a black and white printed rectangle like in your photo and not the black and gold sticker. I am so sorry for the inconvenience but at least I have it together with several others and I can comment on it knowing what it sounds like without making incorrect assumptions.

My post was intended for the person who asked me how to navigate through the large number of versions available, not for the people who only chime in to argue and obviously don't have either record or heard a side to side comparison of the different pressings to know what they are like. Not surprisingly many of those people are the ones that praise the latest reissues of which there is very little left to be said about.

10. Uglyversal

If you bought any records lately you would know that just about everything is marketed as an audiophile edition, I am so glad I don't consider myself an audiophile. And let's not get started about AAA or the "sourced from the original tapes" or I will crack up laughing.

11. StateOfTheArt

I think you may need to take a look as to what forum you have typed in your address bar.

12. Someone I know who works in the industry assured me that no reissues have been cut from "analogue tapes" or AAA for close to 40 years! I remain sceptical about the hype and marketing to sell new LP's but this isn't the first time I'd heard this comment made. Someone else who works in a recording studio once told me in passing that DAT and digital had been used for recording since the 1960's so some of the much talked about "master tapes" are a figment of a collective imagination?! Surely not?

13. Uglyversal

It pays to read earlier posts #1879

SteveM likes this.
  14. Uglyversal

Define a master tape or an original tape, the devil is in the detail which you never get. For me an original tape is the actual tape that was used to record the artist, I think the term original gets stretched and twisted to unimaginable levels these days.

Even if the cutting is done from an analogue tape something that these days would be very rare you still have to fight the compression they use mainly so the music can be played in trashy equipment so you don't have to turn them up at maximum to hear the lower end and then blow speakers when you get to the louder parts.

15. StateOfTheArt

So, let me get this straight, you're suggesting the Beatles in Mono series is some kind of marketing conspiracy? :laugh:

CraigBic and Mrsharko like this.
  16. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Ah just hold on a second there dude.

I have 5 pressings of AR - a 1969 Australian, a 1969 UK , a 1969 US, a UK 1976-4,-3 HTM and the green vinyl one

They are all NM and the UK and Aust ones are virtually identical - the metal parts for AR were manufactured in the UK and sent over here - Im sure you know they werent made locally from tapes or anything

EMI in Aust made very decent records and any assertions that the Aust ones are sub par is erroneous

As for incorrect assumptions I dont claim to be blemish free but I certainly dont go full attack dog if someone corrects my "information"

17. Uglyversal

It does get tiring when someone put the effort like I did to respond to somebody's questions to get later several posters that did not answer the questions just to appear out of the blue arguing or adding dubious information. Like for instance you are saying (post#1891)you have a 1976 UK which is -4 -3 but in post 1882 you have said "All copies up until 1979 were pressed from UK -2, -1 mothers." so which one is it??? How can you tell me in one post that everything up to 1979 is -1 -2 and then you say your 1976 is -4 -3? It doesn't add up.

Australia made many decent records but none are splendid and yes I do think they are subpar. In Fact, I am almost finished but every single Australian pressing I had of any record of importance to me have now been replaced by pressings from a counted number of other countries that do a better job pressing vinyl.

If you are not able to tell there is a difference between the UK pressing and the Australian then I would say there is something you should be checking in your chain because the UK press sounds better just like it happens with pretty much every record I have replaced as mentioned above but if you are happy don't let me change your opinion, it'll be cheaper and easier just to be happy.

18. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I don't know how many did this but based on the stuff I've read about various albums they would record the performances on analogue tape and then mix them digitally. When they did Tug of War they went back to those analogue tapes and remixed the songs at 96k 24bit instead of the 44.1k 16 bit that George Martin mastered it in during the 80s. I think Bad was done a similar way.

19. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

What exactly doesn't add up? :confused: He was talking about Australian pressings in post #1882.

TheWalrusWasPaul likes this.
  20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I'm quite aware of the bogus 'audiophile' discs but there are genuine ones that are done properly from analogue tapes. Just listening to the new Buffalo Springfield box. :) Beatles mono is the real thing so why can't we have proper stereo versions?

21. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Again angry attack dog - read the post :rolleyes:

As Alex states above - Aust pressings up to 1979 are -2, -1's and the 76 I have is a UK

and Im not "saying" Im quoting from a very thorough, respected Beatle author who also happens to be a member here

For someone who's been here for 3 months you do come on rather strong sometimes

You're not the only one who's been collecting for years

The Beave likes this.
  22. Uglyversal

That is a good question since the red and blue album stereo reissues are claimed to be AAA and they sound good, at least the red one which I've got, I never bought the blue. So I don't know why not a full stereo set, they don't want to wear the tapes but they should do something soon before they keep deteriorating.

I have not heard Buffalo Springfield but yes there are some good reissues around. I am one of those that is not so crazy about the Mono Beatles other than it is very well presented and the quality control seems very good but the sound didn't do it for me but then I am fuzzier than most with my records.

StateOfTheArt likes this.
  23. StateOfTheArt

I would be extremely happy if they did a NOS (new old stock) -1 box set of the Beatles catalog in the future.

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Ask the question. It is that simple. Period. Any experienced buyer AND seller should have no problem with it.

If they won’t answer it, there’s a good chance the other info is wrong - including and especially condition.

I didn’t say a -2/-1 was the perfect answer. But it’s the best and simplest. Looking for particular cover and label variations is silly unless you’re a collector.

Easy-E, Cassius and StateOfTheArt like this.
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

They shouldn’t need to recut them unless the metal parts are damaged.

Again, the biggest problem is there likely isn’t sufficient demand to justify the expense of a new pressing of the box. A few of the better selling individual records? Maybe. But it’s not really Apple’s MO these days

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.