Beatles 2014 mono LPs going out of print...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

For some reason they have the Stereos priced at $699.99 and the Mono's at $469.99...the entire chain has them priced that way. Don't know why.

Rubber65 likes this.
  2. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes. How can any of us fully know what's in the heart and mind of someone else? To totally label people in such a way...with such limited information. One person may buy more than one copy not out of greed but rather because he or she is hoping for a quick and significant profit to pay for an emergency extra expensive operation for a loved one. You never know...

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Uh, no. Actually, I'm not sure. What does harsb mean? ;)

Seriously, one poster said that he was only going to buy one copy so that others may have access to them. That's a sensitive and mature statement to make, one showing the empathetic capability of the poster.

The responder replied by asking why not just buy them to flip and make a profit?

Flippers here, in my opinion, make money without actually adding any value to the product. There used to be a TV program called Flea Market Flippers. Two teams go to a flea market, get interesting items as cheaply as they can (given a finite set of money by the TV show), then fix the items up in a way that they can make some money at another flea market. They might paint or decoupage a dresser. They might make a sculpture out of some serving-ware. Or redesign a dress, or make a dress out of fabric. Those people are adding value to an item.

Those who flip here are merely creating scarcity. That, in of itself, drives up a price of a desirable item. But say the original poster bought 3 copies of Sgt. Pepper to turn around and sell them for 3 times the price, he would be taking away the opportunity of those same people or others to purchase it at regular price. He would have contributed nothing to the value. Instead, by only buying one copy, he knows that he is "spiritually" doing something right in the world. It's like 'paying it forward'.

There's nothing wrong with making a living, making money, as long as you're providing an actual service that benefits other people. Build a more economical, environmentally kinder, safer vehicle. That's something that is worth something out in the world. Be a great singer/songwriter/performer? That's doing a great service to the world and is worth being paid for it. Be a brilliant public school teacher, inspiring kids to be creative, thoughtful citizens? That's worth getting paid for.

So poster One is saying, "This will allow others to get this item at retail, as I was able to do."
    Poster Two is saying, "I'm going to make as much money as I can, regardless of what it may mean to and for others."

I don't have much sympathy for the latter. Part of growing up, for those who do, is realizing that you are part of a larger society, and actions you take affect it.

4. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

So he’d only sell a Mono box set to pay for an expensive operation for a loved one if he had another box set to keep? :biglaugh:

Gotta love that mindset.

kyletx500 and ssmith3046 like this.
  5. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

6. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

See above for what I ACTUALLY said. Did I say that he was going to keep ANY copies? And if he keeps one, buys 3 more and makes 1000.00 in profit to pay for the operation, I won't self righteously put down such a person and laugh at him. It's so easy to look at things in a simplified black and white way...but that's not the way of the world.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  7. AnalogJ

Actions can speak louder than words, of course. :angel:

8. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

For us all. Written scenarios shouldn't elicit snap judgments. Especially when we don't know all the details...

Uglyversal likes this.
  9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I sold my box because I prefer my originals. The buyer got a perfect box and mostly unplayed albums. I started the bidding out low and the highest bidder won. I made a little money on it. I won't have a problem sleeping. I must be a capitalist :)

ArpMoog, kronning, Cassius and 9 others like this.
  10. AnalogJ

That's fine. Normal buying and selling happens. Not what we're referring to.

ArpMoog, ispace and ssmith3046 like this.
  11. lawz

lawz Well-Known Member

but WHY not if they ve been sitting THERE for months?...

he could grab em, resell, make a LITTLE profit for himself and make sb real happy..

ssmith3046 likes this.
  12. Xander2017

Xander2017 Forum Resident

tinnox likes this.
  13. AnalogJ

Because he's only doing it out of scarcity. Imagine there learning that your town is close to a water shortage, so you pump out a whole lot of it into a large storage facility, then sell it a high profit when that shortage arrives, and you're part of the reason for the shortage.

And it's like shooting fish in a barrel, then touting how great a marksman you are.

ispace likes this.
  14. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

15. lawz

lawz Well-Known Member

I couldnt agree more, BUT...
    let me put it this way: Ottawa is close to a mono box shortage while my town is VERY close (a reputable record store wants 850 bucks for a new/sealed box) .

the guys from Ottawa could make a little profit and help sb get this box set relatively cheap..

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Rubber65 likes this.
  16. Precisely.. there is a win-win here. Somebody could make a little bit (relatively) of profit and still help someone who really really wants a box to listen to get it at a significant discount to the online market prices right now. I would happily pay $500, the middleman makes a little bit of money and I still save 300-500 compared to ebay prices.

Hell I'd be stoked to find someone willing to sell their extra pepper for a reasonable price. It seems everyone is either "I'm going to sell this for $150+ because I bought it for a profit" or "I have 3 but what if I accidentally snap one in half and my dog eats the other?! I will be real happy to have bought them all then!"

Is there no one out there willing to sell but also be reasonable? I understand you don't expect that on ebay or discogs, but a forum where like minded people gather I thought that helping each other in the community was kinda the point? :shrug:

ispace likes this.
  17. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

They sell for more than that on ebay, why should a shop that needs to pay rent, bills and employees would not be entitled to make some money when they can? After this I have to read the other thread were people complain because record shops keep closing, some people want to have the cake and eat it too.

cwitt1980, DRM and OptimisticGoat like this.
  18. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

If anybody else wanted it so badly they could have bought it too, now and before, the set it's been around for years.

I still think your comment was a veiled, uncalled for, personal attack on me and my post. At the very least if it wasn't directed at me, it was a judgemental statement saying I am better than you or others on something that is a ridiculous matter as this is not the last bottle of medicine to save a dying relative.

DRM likes this.
  19. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Capitalist. Seems to be a bad term these days unfortunately.

20. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

In the US? You got to be ****ing kidding me!

john lennonist and e.s. like this.
  21. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

With you 100% :)

DRM likes this.
  22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Weird, huh?

DRM likes this.
  23. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

We have to add a 25% Tarriff to all goods sent to the US these days.....

john lennonist and e.s. like this.
  24. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

The 2014 RSD release of the AAA mono Long Tall Sally EP is still readily available. Allegedly limited to 7,000 copies, too.

25. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

It was a joke.....lighten up.....I just found the thought of someone choosing to keep an out of print Beatles box set rather than pay for an operation for a loved one amusing.

Humour gets me through the day.

ssmith3046 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.