Beatles 67-70 question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereo71, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereo71

stereo71 Senior Member Thread Starter

I ran across this the other day, a Capitol
    issue on [COLOR=sky blue]blue vinyl[/COLOR].
    When were these pressed, and what would
    the source be? It sounds decent, better than
    the cds of course, but I'm betting a UK
    reissue would be better. It is especially
    clean and quiet for a US pressing.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It's neat to look at, but it's the same crappy version as the black vinyl USA. The British press is so much better sounding.

3. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

In the days of the colo(u)red vinyl craze these were pressed in the US, UK and Germany and maybe more places. There were also other Beatle lps in colo(u)red vinyl. A MARBLE Sgt Pepper's, green Abbey Road, gold Beatles Greatest from Holland, white Let It Be...etc. There are more but I can't recall them all. Also, a few picture discs.

mud-

4. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

One more...1962-1966 was pressed in red vinyl for that series.

mud-

5. sgraham

sgraham New Member

What country did the marble Pepper? I hadn't heard of that one.

6. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Canada.

7. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Yesterday I was at my local used LP shop and I was looking through their stack of blue and red collections.

I noticed that some US Apple versions were stamped Sterling and some Capitol. I suppose they're both equally crappy versions, but I wonder if there is a noticable difference?

8. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

sydbarrett is correct!

OOOOOOOOOOOO Canada!!!!!

mud-:D

9. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I thought of one more...the White Album on white vinyl.

mud-

10. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I remember seeing the white vinyl White Album, the blue vinyl 67-70, and the red vinyl 62-66 all marked as cut-outs in the mid-80's. I never bought any of those though. There's also a yellow vinyl version of Love Songs.

11. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

there's also german pic discs of just about all of them AFAIK.
    Japan, as well, has issued pic discs (tho how legit any of those are I don't know)

12. The marble Pepper's in Canada was released in the summer of 1978.

EMI Holland also released the red and blue on of course, red and blue vinyl and probably the Whitle Album on white vinyl. BTW, Decca Holland also did some coloured Stones vinyl as well, during the same period, mid to late 1970s, IIRC, with such titles as TSMR and BTB.

Attached Files:

• sgt.jpg
      sgt.jpg
      File size:
      89.4 KB
      Views:
  13. Matt

Matt New Member

Cool. Marble vinyl!

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Nice to look at.:thumbsup:

15. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Yesterday, I picked up a copy of the US Apple pressing of 62-66 for only $5 and the vinyl was in great shape. Jacket has a slight bit of ringwear, but nothing serious. It sounds pretty good to me and relatively quiet. I am not sure how much of an improvement getting a UK version would be for me.

I have a 67-70 that was a bit more, but an Apple still and it sounds pretty decent too.

16. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

The best 1967-1970 vinyl I've heard is an original German pressing. Same goes for the 1962-1966 comp as well.

I've got both of these on German Apple - original pressings from '73. As I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum before, I bought from someone I know for not a lot of $, he said he had no use for them and needed more space in his house! This guy had worked at EMI in Germany in the early 70s, he was given these LP's while he was there and he never played them!

A couple of years back, when I first got them, I remember taking the LP's out of sleeves and it was obvious they hadn't even heen taken out of the inners, let alone played!

The German press has so much...er, balls I think is the right word! Real thumping bottom end and great dynamics. The sound is also crystal clear - these are easily the best and cleanest-sounding pressings of this LP I've heard. The UK pressings (mine are 80s reissues) are really good too but they can't hold a candle to the 'Germans'!

There have actually been two coloured vinyl issues of the red and blue. The first ones came in '78 - a sly piece of marketing by EMI during the late 70s coloured vinyl craze. Then we got the red & blue coloured vinyl LP's again in '94 but these were mastered from the digital source used for the CD issues released the previous year.

I don't know if you got the coloured vinyls of these in '94 in the US or other countries (?) but they were issued here in Britain. To be fair they ain't that bad considering they're from a digitial source and they're on gimmicky coloured vinyl.

Just gotta be the German press for me on this one every time :)

Kipper

17. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

I bought a 1967-1970 that was kind of a change over. (not picture discs) Bought around 1979. It had the Apple labels but instead of the apple symbol on the top of the back cover, it had the Capitol logo. Strawberry Fields Forever had wider spaced grooves than the apple earlier pressing and it had a ringing sound during the song.

It was later fixed. Have no idea what happened to cause that. I bought the UK picture discs of the 1962-1966 & 1967-1970. It utilized different mixes than the US. All the songs that were rechanneled stereo on the US pressing (I Want To Hold Your Hand, A Hard Day's Night, I Feel Fine, Ticket To Ride & Penny Lane) were in stereo.

Brian

18. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I somehow managed to get a neat-o Japanese 1962-1966 set (ouch, was it pricey at the time - probably $25 in the mid 80's) and a DMM German press of the blue 1967-1970 set - I love to just look at those babies from time to time...

19. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

This was the first actual Beatles album I bought, though I had 62-66 pt1 on 8-Track. It along with 62-66, the White album & the Sgt.Pepper picture disc were all released in August 1978. In December 1978 Abbey Road & Band on the Run picture discs were also released.

20. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Sorry to drag this thread up again but can anyone comment on the 1967-1970 French pressing on blue vinyl?

Came across one today but it's $50.00. That's $1.98 US.

21. Gary, if my experience with french vinyl means anything, the surfaces tend to sound a little noisy, and the top end really really bright (high styreme low pvc content). There is worse vinyl on the planet, but you'd be so much better served by German vintage or later DMM pressings.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

On the subject of French pressings, I just (mistakenly) picked up a French With The Beatles. Other than the fact that it is slightly narrowed down, it sounds *really* good. Very quiet, and great mastering. Just a shame they felt the need to narrow it down.

23. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef

My white album on white vinyl (purchased new) is extremely noisy. I would not spend the money for this if you are looking for the best sound.

Paul

24. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Somewhere, I have a copy of "Reel Music"--that terrible movie song compilation-on gold vinyl. I can't remember how I stumbled across this and to be honest, I haven't looked at it for about ten years.

25. Hmm, I've been looking at a German Aople pressing of 67-70 at Recordland. The LPs were owned by the same person who owned the German White Album I bought last year. Yup, he wrote his name in pen on the cover and put his initials on sides 1 and 3 of the labels. :( Oh well. Good thing it's the vinyl that counts. Maybe I'll pick it this 67-70 next time I'm there. Is there a specific matrix number that I should be targeting? Luke, David, anyone? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.