Beatles A to Z Weekend

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musicfan37, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member Thread Starter

The local classic rock radio station, KZOK FM, is playing nothing but Beatles all weekend. It's great! Do radio stations do the same thing in your area?
    :)

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I remember the local rock station doing Beatles and Stones A to Z weekends when I was away at college in Albany, NY (late-70s). They'd leave out one song and give a prize to the first person to call in with the missing title. Not hard to predict that the missing Stones song was "Star Star"!

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Maybe not all weekend, but when they do it's always the same safe hits.

Great music all the same but nothing adventurous over our airwaves. :(

4. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Have they played "Revolution 9" yet???

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Our local classic rock station thinks being adventurous is playing the long version of Inna Gadda Di Vida......they would never play only one band all weekend.

6. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes they have. Once they play the last song (You've Got to Hide Your Love Away), they start all over again and continue until Sunday evening .:thumbsup:

7. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Cool.Last time they did that 'round here was about 1981

8. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

It could be once a month or maybe once every two months, but the local oldies station here in Cleveland has a Beatles where they'll interchange studio tracks with some rare tracks. I think they did a Beatles A-Z over one of the holiday weekends last year though.

9. StrawberryFields

StrawberryFields Active Member

Not much anymore...certainly not like in the good old days...but you should've heard the weekend Beatles shows I used to do back in the late 70s on my college radio station! We even ran some of the grooves backwards for the "Turn me on dead man" sequence and all other "Paul is dead" clues, cryptic utterances, etc....not to mention just about every live cut and nearly every type of mix, outake, etc. on the planet. I guess those days are gone for good.

10. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

I guess Jimbo and I were probably listening up here near Albany, N.Y. at the same time. I told a co-worker when the Stones contest started years ago that "Star Star" would be the song. Brings back memories of radio in the pre-clear channel era!

11. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

One of the local oldies stations here did this on labor day. It was very cool and a little surreal to be in the car on Saturday morning at 8:30 listening to Revolution #9 on the radio! As an inside joke, the program director of the station took several of the "number nine" "number nine" bits and reversed them so listeners heard "turn me on, dead man" "turn me on, dead man".
    They also played all of the relevant studio outtakes that made up the 3 "Anthology" collections. I was impressed with the amount of work that went in to putting together their "Beatles A to Z" weekend. It was certainly not slapped together at the last minute like most of what you on hear on the radio today.

12. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

WCSX does "A to Z" weekends every now and then. Beatles, Led Zep, OR they will sometimes do a major classic rock A to Z that lasts for a week and a half. When they do one artist, they do the WHOLE catalog, and throw in a few live or alternate tracks to keep it interesting. Ours is a Greater Media station. You definitely wouldn't hear this on a Clear Channel (OK, Cheap Channel :D ) station.

With many of today's stations running from hard drives, it's a cinch to select a group of songs and alphabetize them.

13. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

They do it here in Chicago all the time. They will have Beatle weekends, Motown, Stones, British Invasion etc.

14. billh

billh Senior Member

KRTH in Los Angeles is doing the same thing this weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.