Beatles Anthology Dvd Due November 5th. Also Anthology Book Out In Trade Paperback

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Oct 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

http://www.beatlemaniashoppe.com/events.html

I was searching for information on the DVD that will be released with George Harrison's new album and stumbled across the following information.

BEATLES ANTHOLOGY DVD DUE NOVEMBER 5TH

Capitol has confirmed they plan to issue the popular "Beatles Anthology" series on DVD for the first time. The DVD version will be a 4 disc set (the videos were an 8 video set).

Also, you may have noticed video crews at Paul's Driving USA shows. Look for a tour video and DVD and most likely a cd to be issued in November.

Also, The Beatles Anthology Book is being published in a large trade paperback edition in mid-September. The list price will be $34.95. The same publisher is putting out George's autobiography "I Me Mine" around the same time.

I saw the Beatles Anthology book today at Costco for $34.95 (Canadian). It didn't show a Canadian or U.S. list price on the back of the book (they were sealed), but I just checked Chapters/Indigo Web site and they're selling it for $58.00. So I guess I'll be buying it at Costco. Anybody already have the book? Any thoughts? Is it up there with the Mark Lewisonn "Complete Beatles" books, or the Ian MacDonald "Revolution In The Head"?

Thanks in advance.

2. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The Anthology DVD won't be out any earlier than 2003.

3. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Is that a prediction or fact. If I remember correctly you are a man in the know...no?

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Given the way DVD announcements work, a November 5 release is VERY unlikely. I can't say it's impossible, as studios often toss out music DVDs without much notice. Were this a movie, I'd regard it as impossible, but since it's music, it COULD happen. But I strongly doubt it will, just because it's way too prominent a title to come out with such little fanfare. Not totally ruling it out, but if it occurs on 11/5/02, I'll eat a bug...

5. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Well, I know that reliable sources such as Beatlefan have reported the November release date was originally considered but has since been delayed until next year. But no, I'm not an insider or anything.

6. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Thanks! Just wondered. I thought you worked in the industry for some reason or another....

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

They'll probably push that date up also! :realmad:

8. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

One would think that the DVD set is coming soon. I'm sure "they' would like to tie in the DVD release with the re-release of the Anthology book in trade paperback, and the book's out as of this week.

9. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

The latest abbeyard update...

Update (8/21/02) Latest word from a Capitol Records insider is that the DVD release has definitely been postponed. It was set for November 5. Now it has been put back to February at the earliest. Word is that Apple was worried about competing with the AHDN DVD, due September 24. Also the other Beatles-related product coming in the fall, including Paul's "Driving USA" DVD, and product from Ringo and George was thought to be a conflict. There was apparently a worry about DVD/video stores which have already been ordering up the AHDN title in anticipation of it being a hot title for the Christmas market. So the decision was to wait till after Christmas and avoid the face-off.

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/204anthologydvd.html

other news..........................

McCartney's ABC Tv special is on Nov. 27. Courtesy of abbeyard...

(10/9/02) Here's ABC's press release for the upcoming U.S. TV special about Paul's tour, which will air Nov. 27 (thanks very much to Matt Hurwitz):

PAUL MCCARTNEY RETURNS TO ABC FOR "BACK IN THE U.S." : AN ORIGINAL MADE FOR TELEVISION FILM DESTINED TO RE-DEFINE THE ROCK & ROLL EXPERIENCE
    Hailed as a "rock and road movie" Paul McCartney's "Back in the U.S." will give viewers front row seats and backstage passes to his most recent American tour in an original two hour telefilm set to air Wednesday, November 27, 2002 (9:00 - 11:00 p.m. ET), on the ABC Television Network.

In the early months of 2002, a film crew followed McCartney and his band for 14 weeks to sold-out shows in 34 cities across America. "Back in the U.S." will feature footage from many of these concerts, which included performances of "Yesterday," "Band on the Run," "Hey Jude," "Let it Be," "Maybe I'm Amazed, "Getting Better," "Back in the USSR," "Live and Let Die," "Here Today" and "Something." More than two-dozen hits that span his entire career from the Beatles to Wings and his solo work will be featured in the special.

"Back in the U.S." also candidly reveals life on the road with Paul McCartney and his band - Rusty Anderson and Brian Ray on guitars, Abe Laboriel, Jr. on drums and Paul "Wix" Wickens on keyboards. Producer/director Mark Haefeli was given unprecedented access and his cameras will take viewers on Paul's chartered tour jet, invite them to hang out in the band's dressing rooms backstage and to attend previously private soundchecks.

"It was an amazing experience to work with such an icon and to be trusted to be given such access into his life. It made the tour a trip, "Haefeli said. "Paul McCartney was involved in the creative process from beginning to end. To work with this man on such a personal level was both the greatest challenge and most endearing reward of my career".

According to McCartney, "This was a special tour for me in many ways and I'm very pleased that this film has captured much of the magic of it all. The band has felt very special to me, I'm having a great time playing with these guys, and the crowds on this tour have been special too, every night a warmth of goodwill from them has washed over us. But also there's been this special camaraderie going on backstage with the crew and all involved in this tour, there's been an intimacy of a life on the road that I don't think people will have seen on a screen before."

"Back in the U.S." was executive produced by Paul McCartney and directed and produced by Mark Haefeli. Producers for ABC are David Saltz and Rudy Bednar.

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/1009backintheustv.html[/url

10. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I shure hope like hell that they don't screw it up, like they did with the Hard Day's Night DVD.

Whatever the release date is, just take the time and do it right guys!

11. mandrake

mandrake New Member

I don't see the re-print of the Anthology book as a particularly momentous occasion. Remember the first printing of the Anthology book was supposed to co-incide with the release of the original Anthology 8 video set, but the book ended up being about five years late.

Besides, there's too much Beatles product to compete with for a November release, like Paul's "Driving USA" DVD, George's "Brainwashed" album and the AHDN DVD reissue. I expect the Anthology DVDs will come out in early to mid 2003 in a blaze of publicity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.