Beatles Anthology on DVD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mattb, Jun 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Shea Stadium

>>>>Yes, I agree. I'd love to see a DVD of The Beatles at Shea. I do believe that was FILMED in color, (as opposed to videotaped), so that the image quality could be made to look much better than what we've seen through the years.

I think all bootlegs of this show come from the ABC TV Videotapes that were used through the years. Those dont look too great, due to the film to video transfer equipment of the time. What we can do today is tons better.

I'm also pretty sure it was not recorded in multitrack, so that isolating the crowd noise would be difficult. I'd bet there is a mono NAGRA reel that carries the entire soundtrack, crowd and all, and thats it.

Still, a nicely restored DVD of this show is a must have.

My cousin was THERE that night, and he said it was just unbelievable. At one point, the new (for its time) scoreboard flashed "The Young Rascals Are Coming"!!!!!

Mikey

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Re: Shea Stadium

Remember that a good chunk of the sound track was "added to" and in some cases totally redone in the studio.

3. RetroSmith

Re: Re: Shea Stadium

>>>>>Really, Luke? I didnt know that!! I think I had read that one or two things (maybe Act Naturally??) were re-recorded because of sound problems.

But youre probably right...knowing how they redubbed everything in those days, I'll bet they did. It WAS The Beatles, after all.

I've got a video somewhere of a 1963 Merseybeat show, and they even dubbed the version of "Diamonds" by Jet Harris and Tony Meehan!!!!

Mikey

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Shea Stadium

Yes, Lewisohn has details in his "Chronicle" book. I don't have it handy at the moment, though.

5. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Act Naturally is the most obvious as there's a number of spots where Ringo & the soundtrack do not sync up!

6. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I think this question begs to be asked -

If the Shea Stadium tracks were sweeetend (at very least) in the studio - why does it sound like crap? Authenticity? I mean - they coulda cleaned it up a little bit....

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, not to butt in here, but other than dropping in the studio version of "Act Naturally", nothing was "sweetened" as far as I ever heard...

The concert was recorded in single track Nagra and 16mm mag mono, using an RCA limiter and mixer.

The version I've seen and heard sounds pretty great...

8. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the Candlestick Park concert (August 29,1966), their last live show was ever filmed?

9. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

According to Lewisohn the following was done "in secrecy" at CTS Studios on 1/1/66:

1) Paul overdubbed his bass on Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Can't Buy Me Love, Baby's In Black, and I'm Down

2) John overdubbed a new organ track on I'm Down (yes...that live lunacy was overdubbed!)

3) Both I Feel Fine and Help were completely re-recorded (the former at George Martin's request)

4) AN - studio version as noted

5) Twist and Shout - lifted from the Aug. 30th Hollywood Bowl performance! In some areas laid over the Shea performance to create a double-track effect.

6) Hollywood Bowl show was also used for crowd noise throught the entire Shea movie, particularly for the new studio cuts.

The reason CTS studios was used was that it was the premier dubbing facilty (Cine-Tele-Sound).

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Neat information.

I think I actually heard and saw the pre-dubbed version then. Cool.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Thanks for looking that up for me...;)

12. RetroSmith

Wow, thanks!

>>Wow, thats great info. I would like to see and hear the UNDUBBED
    version. I hope, if they ever release that on DVD that they will use the original mono Nagra reel and let us hear it the way it happened.

Gee, is there a boot CD of the UNDUBBED version? Anybody know?

Mikey

13. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Just a quick typo correction on my part. The CTS session was held Jan. 5, 1966; not Jan. 1.

14. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

If your not interested in PERSONAL stories - skip this. It's just a memory that came back to me...

ABC's initial broadcast of the Shea concert was opposite a well hyped, and at the time, brand new Star Trek episode on NBC. I informed my family that the TV was was mine at (9:00PM ?) to watch the Beatles. I was unfortunately a few minutes late. I never watched the INITIAL broadcast, but did see it on a rerun some 6 months later.

Back in those days - a household with more than one television set was a rarity.

Old man talking.

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Reminds me of something...

16. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Not to mention that "us kids" were our fathers "remote controls"!!

"Change it to channel 3", "turn that up"

:-jon

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I saw the movie when it came out. I liked it! I am looking forward to the dvds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.