Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. rigby2222

rigby2222 Forum Resident

https://m.bol.com/nl/p/the-beatles-all-these-years/9200000014336820/

Thanks for the link. I have a few questions if anyone can help. Does this site have first editions that are still available. I would guess they would have to be. Are they in English? Can anyone tell me how much the book plus shipping would be to the United states as I can't for the life of me figure out what that says even with google translate. Thanks in advance.

3. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I think my total cost was around $134 after shipping. Ordered Monday, got a reply today saying shipping has been delayed. Not sure why, but I'm concerned. Did it all through Google translate. I'm assuming it must be a first edition, but it didn't actually cross my mind. I can PM you if you like when it gets shipped---IF it gets shipped. They may have run out of copies, or I fear that's the case anyway. And I just assumed the books are in English...great question! If not, it may end up on Ebay!! :sweating:

4. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Somewhere back in part 5 of this thread I asked the same question thinking some were written in German since the book was released there. i was told no, all copies are in English.

Mooserfan likes this.
  5. rigby2222

rigby2222 Forum Resident

Hey thanks pm when it's shipped and the total cost if u can I appreciate that. $134 would not be a bad price for a first edition ....in English of course!!!!

6. jeffcdo

jeffcdo Senior Member

I ordered from bol.com on Sunday. Got an email saying it would deliver on Wednesday - I didn't believe it (I'm in California). Sure enough this evening I get another email saying ... "The ordered product proves difficult available from our current supplier. We do our utmost to purchase elsewhere. For this article As soon as we can supply the product we will send it to you. You will then receive an e-mail to be informed of the shipment of the product." I'm starting to get a bit skeptical about this. I'm going to give it a while longer to play out, but in the meantime they've re-activated ordering at Amazon for a hypothetical future printing...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    Aardvark23 likes this.
  7. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Same as Jeffcdo here. I won't hang in very long before I switch to Amazon UK.

8. DwarfMcDougal

DwarfMcDougal Forum Resident

Interesting regarding bol.com. Like I wrote in my post, I had no trouble getting my book, delivered straight to the door. It is if course in english, i don't think it's published in any other language. Maybe I got one of the last copies they had?

9. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I went ahead a pre-ordered on Amazon UK, even though it still costs about twice as much as it reasonably should. But my guess is that this will be the last printing, so I don't want to miss out and deal with the second-hand prices down the road.

Question: I know Amazon has the pre-order price guarantee; is there a similar policy for items that are out of stock and the price is reduced before it ships?

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I did the pre-order too since I missed out the first time around. I believe that the price guarantee is still valid.

Mr Hankey likes this.
  11. DwarfMcDougal

I've gotten to the part about Tommy Steele. That reminds me of a contest held in a Swedish pop magazine, where the readers could vote for the best artist; Tommy Steele vs. Elvis. Of course, Tommy Steele won, because the big prize was to meet the winner. Elvis would never have flown in to meet a winner of a contest held in a crappy swedish magazine. So rigged.

alexpop likes this.
  12. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I suppose you could just keep an eye on the price and try to cancel and re-order if it drops.

13. DwarfMcDougal

Has everybody stopped reading this masterpiece, or are you done? Seems like the thread went cold. :wave:

14. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

On my second reading of the standard version :)

DwarfMcDougal likes this.
  15. DwarfMcDougal

What was the first thing you people did when you got the book? Myself, I flipped through the pages and stopped at every picture section (Yes, like a child...).

Dugan likes this.
  16. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I colored in all the o's....

17. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I had a couple of almost sleepless nights reading it all....

DwarfMcDougal likes this.
  18. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I'm reading the extended edition and am up to August 1962, after [spoiler alert]Ringo agrees to join the group[/spoiler alert].

I wonder how he ends up doing...

willy, supermd, theMess and 1 other person like this.
  19. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I was going to wait until the unabridged edition came out to the US. I got fed up trying to decipher what we had to do, so I decided to just order the standard edition.

Instead of looking through 6 threads, what is the status on the US unabridged version?
    I mean why didn't they just offer it to us in the first place?

20. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Still up in the air here, but definitely being reprinted in the UK.

21. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I believe it had to do with rights on the e-book. The expanded edition was a money loser also but it may have been because they didn't put it out in the US. Can someone else confirm that?

22. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

Thought same thing. Read the standard edition twice. I've been back and forth about buying the Extended edition from Amazon UK. Given the uncertainty of future publishing, even in the UK (after this 2nd one) I'll get this 2nd printing while it's available now.

23. I planned on my second reading being the first reading of the expanded edition (eBook version). Hopefully it still will be, in the not too distant future.

24. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

It's not happening.

25. DwarfMcDougal

I'm wondering; Why didn't you people based in the US buy the deluxe edition from the UK, or from somewhere else in Europe?
    Is it the cost of shipping?

Marvin, theMess and metalgod like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.