Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I even made myself laugh! ;)

2. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

So I was reading an essay in the New York Times written by someone who became a Beatles fan after going on a tour of Beatles sites around London and Liverpool. One of the tours was called the Fab Four Taxi Tour in Liverpool, and a cab driver named Gareth Byrne, 57, drove them around the various sites. What jumped out at me was this:

I think this is the first time I've seen anyone take major issue with Mark's facts. Perhaps he needs to have a chat with Gareth. :cool:

Here's the link to the essay: A Beatles Tour in England? You Know That Can’t be Bad

3. Godolphin

Godolphin Forum Resident

I don't think Lewisohn is infallible. Didn't the 'true' story about George Martin being forced to sign the Beatles originate only with one source?

The long delay or timeline for the release of this mammoth work is a bit strange. Lewishon clearly wants to establish his work as the primary source for histroians going forward or... is attempting to create a definitive history on behalf of The Beatles.

It seems there are all kinds of oddities and weirdness involved in the telling of this story and I can't help but wonder if Lewishon is patiently if not morbidly waiting for certain persons to leave this mortal coil. After all you can't libel the dead.

4. Arnold Grove

And an author also cannot write a book if he or she dies. So Mark just better hurry up, for his own sake!! ;)

Jack Lord and Godolphin like this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

That may take the cake for supreme cynicism.

The first book was fantastic and I look forward to the next one.

maxwell2323, Headfone and somnar like this.
  6. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

I keep seeing this thread go on and on. Are there any details of the ongoing work? Any actual news?

I bought "the complete Beatles chronicle" back in 1992 for £25. That's been more than enough for me.

[​IMG]

7. Godolphin

Godolphin Forum Resident

It creates the absurd mental image of Lewishon patiently waiting for the board of Apple to cease to exist while Beatle fans patiently pray for Lewishon to continue to exist.

I think 66-70 (or even 66-80) are the most interesting years to read about. It seems like a weird irony in the Beatles story that as soon as they became free of the madness of their touring years they seemed to create endless new madness and drama from the Maharishi, Apple, Alan Klien etc... and the drama pretty much continued for John and George through 76.

8. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Which will be released first...Carnival of Light, Let It Be film or Tune In part 2 ?

9. Arnold Grove

I'd bet on the Let It Be film.

andrewskyDE and applejam101 like this.
  10. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

1. Tune In pt 2
    2 Let It Be bluray/dvd
    3. Carnival Of Light

In other words:
    1. sometime in the next two years?
    2. odds are on 2020 [for a 50th anniversary]
    3. never [or at least unlikely while any of us are still alive...]

11. Arnold Grove

Lewisohn has stated that 2020-21 is the tentative scheduled date. But he also said that this may have to be pushed back. So that's why I think the Let It Be film will pop up earlier.

12. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Ok, you win. Which means.... "I'm a looooo-ser..."

13. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

This idea has come up before, and I don't understand why. Lewisohn is not the sort of writer who plays fast and loose with the facts or dwells on the salacious bits. Why would he fear a libel suit?

How many inaccurate books have already been written about the Beatles? How many led to libel suits?

mrjinks, Zeki and DeeThomaz like this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Just wait until I finish the Beatle book that I am writing... ;)

notesfrom and maxwell2323 like this.
  15. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

The entire history of the band is a prologue. Chapter one starts with the creation of Bip Bop and the last chapter ends with the completion of Bip Bop. I'd buy it.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  16. Arnold Grove

My goal is to be as accurate as this:

;)

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Swear I heard the carnival of light near the end. ;)

18. Arnold Grove

No, you are confusing it with "Circus of Darkness" ... ;)

19. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

Kind of makes you wonder.....if there are things/facts ...that Lewisohn uncovers - that even he himself will leave unwritten. And we will never know.

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

never know"
    Looks to be that way.

21. paper shoes

paper shoes Forum Resident

He's going to be giving a two hour talk on The Beatles in India later this year. This is the part of the book I was most looking forward to but maybe a revelation or two will materialize from this happening in September.....

Q&A: Beatles in India with Mark Lewisohn

Critter, Yosi, AJK74 and 1 other person like this.
  22. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Arnold, if you write a Beatles book, loaded with pix from that infinite collection of yours, I'd be first in line. Just name your price!!

23. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

The thing about a 2020 release date is that more and more people with living memory of the events are rapidly moving on. I noticed the other day that Astrid Kirchherr is 79 years old. 79!!!

The Beatles story is evaporating. Time is of the essence.

Big Pasi and alexpop like this.
  24. Arnold Grove

[​IMG]

;)

25. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

If you're publishing your highly anticipated book in 2020 maybe you name it The Beatles: In Hindsight. ;)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    applejam101 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.