Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up on this. Mark is always an interesting and engaging speaker...

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I intend to call it: The Beatles: Is Another Book Necessary? ... ;)

Monasmee likes this.
  3. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

In hindsight, maybe a multi-volume series of 400-500 pages each would have been a better idea. At least, it would have enabled a shorter time period between releases.

douglas mcclenaghan and Monasmee like this.
  4. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

Wish that was happening over here in the colonies...

5. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

True, of course, but Lewisohn has said (and you can see from the footnotes in Vol. 1) that he has already conducted interviews pertaining to all three volumes, and also that as years go by he tends rely less and less on modern interviews as reliable sources, depending instead on paperwork and contemporary sources and such. Frankly, while I'm anxious for the second book (this is the only time I've felt about a book the way my mom felt about each successive Harry Potter volume), the longer this process takes the better I think the end result will be.

guitarman1969 likes this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Slight correction:
    ... as years go by he tends to rely less and less on modern interviews as reliable sources, depending instead on guesswork and Magic-8 ball predictions and such ... ;)

hallucalation and dustybooks like this.
  7. maxwell2323 likes this.
  8. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Frankly if be has the intetviews, etc, then just right the book. Or is this like Merriweather Lewis dragging the Corps of Discovry books for yesrs, then blowing his brain out rather than face the task. Right tbe book!!! Madness awaits the in the forest, Young Goodan Brown. Sweet Faith will not wait forever.

9. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

I think if we all tweet Lewisohn and say "Right tbe book!!!" he'll get the message.

nikh33 likes this.
  10. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

Love the Magic 8 ball.
    You may rely on it.

11. Raf

Raf Senior Member

That particular message? Probably not.

nikh33, ssmith3046, ajsmith and 2 others like this.
  12. Arnold Grove

In that case, how about: "Write the buk" ... ;)

13. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Bite the rook?

applejam101 likes this.
  14. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

As Yoda would say: Writing the book you are. Maybe he should cover a smaller time-frame per book. Please Please Me to Revolver is like writing everything about the First World War in one book. Maybe a more manageable PPM to BFS, then another one for Help! to Revolver.

Jack Lord likes this.
  15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Let's boycott all lewisohns public appearances so he sticks to writing

ajsmith likes this.
  16. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

What if he (or his publisher) concludes that nobody wants to hear what Mark Lewisohn has to say about the Beatles?

17. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

His appearances are probably how he's funding his research for the book.

18. paper shoes

paper shoes Forum Resident

This is three years old now and might be old news to many but I've only just realised it was on youtube. A "Roundtable" discussion on The Beatles and their relationship with TV, radio and printed media hosted by Walter J. Podrazik with Mark and Television Curator Steve Jones......

There's also a talk Mark gave in Iceland in 2015 which I haven't got around to watching yet here....
    Mark Lewisohn Reykjavik 25 11 15

Finally, not Mark Lewisohn but Beatle biographer Hunter Davies in a very interesting 53 minute chat with David Hepworth.
    Word Podcast 255 – Hunter Davies, the only authorised biographer of the Beatles – The Word Podcast

Mal and jlf like this.
  19. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

The Beatles in India(napolis)....:)

maxwell2323 likes this.
  20. not yonder

not yonder Forum Resident

Love this interview with Robert A Caro, the writer Mark is often compared to. He is now 82, and asked when he might finish the last volume of his LBJ biography, he says 'anywhere from two to ten years'. Wow.
    http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/01/16/studies-in-power-an-interview-with-robert-caro/

Nice to get a bit of perspective. Just a reminder for all those worrying if Mark will ever finish the project - he has not yet turned sixty. Still time to finish volume 2, volume 3 and hopefully an extra book on the solo years.

21. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

Ugh, recent Mark Lewisohn interview where he said his deadline has slipped past 2020 for volume 2...

22. Arnold Grove

[​IMG] ;)

zobalob, Mal and Mark E. Moon. like this.
  23. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I'm expecting there to be 10 years between each volume. That way I'll be surprised if it's earlier. 2023 for vol 2, 2033 for vol 3.

24. Arnold Grove

2043 for the COMPLETE footnotes ... ;)

jlf likes this.
  25. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

...and for all the stories that came to him after publication dates. 2053 for the volume that ties all of that together in one package. I doubt I'll be here for that. I doubt Lewisohn will be here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.