Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I do wonder if ML has a contingency plan or an understudy for the work in case of an unintended debilitating event.

Zeki likes this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The noted Beatle scholar, Marty "The Chimp" Sonalewis, is Plan B:

[​IMG] ;)

Thumper, Zeki, theMess and 1 other person like this.
  3. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Are we sure that the second volume doesn't cover the rest of the beatle years and the third the solo years?

4. Arnold Grove

Oh, we're sure of that! But that's about all we are sure of!!

notesfrom, Zeki and rediffusion like this.
  5. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

I think that's one thing we can be sure of, although where Volume 3 ends--if it's ever written--is an interesting question.

6. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

My notion while reading the first was "Turn on tune in drop out" so I had it in mind for the drop out.

7. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

Anybody have any knowledge of the extended edition being available on Kindle here in the colonies?

8. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

I believe that Mark specifically stated that he was not going with the Tune In - Turn On - Drop Out nomenclature for the books.

BeatlesBop and not yonder like this.
  9. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

If they culminate II in the recording of Pepper, then end with Brian's death then III starts with the MMT disaster and basically serves as a chronicle of the breakup

10. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I also think Vol III, if it wants to tread where few have gone, would chronicle their relationships after the Beatles breakup and end with lennon's death

11. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

We also have to remember that Vol I takes place over 4-5 years with significant detail throughout all of it - I'm guessing he can easily get us from She Loves You to Sgt Pepper in 1500 pages

12. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

That would be nice. I just hope it doesn't end with Lewisohn's death. I think it's time he got a "second." This is too important.

notesfrom likes this.
  13. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

The idea to holding out entire Vol.2 for several years again now just to research what Paul ate on breakfast in some hotel in 1964 is strange, to say the least. I believe he uncovered all relevant information already. Time to write..

BeatlesBop likes this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Yes. Instead, he going with Tune In - Coming Soon - Delayed Indefinitely ... ;)

15. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Well, Mark said on the Podcast recently that, if possible, he might do a volume 4, covering the solo years.

theMess and rediffusion like this.
  16. Arnold Grove

No problem---if he could live to 150 years. ;)

theMess likes this.
  17. belardd

belardd Senior Member

18. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I hate to add to the poor guy's workload, but with all the research he's doing, and with all the action-packed years to cover, I would want Vol. 2 to be 1963-1966 (end of touring), and then Vol. 3 to be 1966-1968 (death or Brian, beginning of the end, meeting Maharishi), and the Vol. 4 would cover 1968-1970 (from Feb. '68 sessions through Paul's announcement). And then of course, if any of us are still left alive, we'd need a Volume 5 to take us from the breakup through John's murder.

I am reminded by all this that George R.R. Martin originally planned his "Song of Ice and Fire" (aka "Game Of Thrones") story to be THREE books. He's currently frozen mid-way through book six, and has hinted a few times that he may need an eight to finish the tale...

theMess, BeatlesBop and superstar19 like this.
  19. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

George R.R. Martin will never complete SOIAF, don’t hold out hope

joeislive and Sean Murdock like this.
  20. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Maybe Lewisohn’s second book should be retitled I Want To Hold Your Breath. ;)

mrjinks, theMess and guitarman1969 like this.
  21. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

He had scrambled eggs and a water with no lemon.

22. Arnold Grove

No, conflicting accounts have that there was a lemon on the table and someone took a slice out of it....

;)

maxwell2323 and theMess like this.
  23. Thumper

Thumper Forum Resident

The Genesis for Yesterday. That's good for 100 pages.

maxwell2323 likes this.
  24. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

A few years ago someone asked Mark whether the last volume would go up to the break up or beyond. His exact reply was "It'll be the breakup that wasn't". I've got a screenshot of it - the tweet date was 17 April 2016, 10:32am.

I've never been able to understand what that means. There was the final band breakup, but obviously their lives remained entangled for a long time. So does he literally mean the official breakup of the band? When else could he be talking about?

Also when people heard Mark talking about doing volume 4, my memory is slightly different: I don't think he said it would cover the solo years, I just think he meant he might need to split the rest of the Beatles years up into 3 further volumes.

I've got a distinct memory of Mark saying somewhere else that he's just not that interested in them as solo artists. For him, it's the magic of the 4 of them.

guitarman1969 likes this.
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Maybe after Brian passed.
    Can't be the McCartney/Lennon publishing thing, or the Spanish incident ( too early ).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.