Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

“You Never Give Me Your Money” by Peter Doggett is a fantastic chronicle of the breakup, and the aftermath. I’m hoping that Lewisohn expands the planned three part series into four.

somnar, BeatlesBop, theMess and 4 others like this.
  2. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

From what I've read I think he means there really wasn't a breakup. Had it not been announced as such there might have been a chance they would've continued. Just my guess.

BeatlesBop, theMess and evilpants like this.
  3. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

If you think about it...there were so many Beatles related events, that happened far after the actual breakup of the band - which I hope he will address.

theMess likes this.
  4. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I just got the hardcover 803 page edition, I figured the small one will be just fine and have read the first 4 charpters up to page 106 and I got curious about the 1700 page Extended Edition. I did a little search and found this podcast with Mr Lewisohn being interviewed. It's an hour and 12 minutes, at the 18 minute mark I paused it and ordered the Extended Edition. So far it's the most in depth Beatles bio I have ever read or anyone else's. I have filed away the 803 page version on the bookshelf and not going to touch it, when I get the big one I will start all over again.

5. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

That reminds me, really need to get round to finishing the first volume! Only got half way through the first book, but had to put it aside for my history degrees!

At this rate, by the time I’m done Volume 2 will be out.

6. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

I know the feeling; got the expanded edition, read up till about halfway through the first book and then never got around to finishing it despite enjoying it and learning a lot. One of these days...

Jonpd and Thrillington like this.
  7. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Here's another fantastic interview with Mr Lewisohn by Conan O'Brien
    (as always delete if posted else where before this)

Marvin, Ern, andrewskyDE and 3 others like this.
  8. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Mark Lewisohn was also a guest on Fabcast (a truly great podcast in general). 013 - LEWISOHN — Fabcast — Overcast

YpsiGypsy likes this.
  9. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

10. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Amazon can be amazing at times, I ordered the Extended Special Edition late Saturday afternoon and I got it yesterday about 42 hours later.
    The old snail mail is alive and well.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  11. paper shoes

paper shoes Forum Resident

"All right" for Volume 2 and "Too bad" for volume 3 is the most plausible suggestion I've seen, as in "That is you can't. you know, TUNE IN but it's ALL RIGHT, that is I think it's not TOO BAD".

It makes sense in that everything was "all right" up to 1966, then Brian dying, losing Northern Songs and the split was "too bad". Now that we're expecting a 4th volume I guess he could add "Take you down" or "It's all wrong".

"All these years" is of course a lyrical snippet from "Sgt Pepper" so if the next volume doesn't take its' title from "Strawberry Fields" then you would imagine it will come from another song.

elvissinatra and petem1966 like this.
  12. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

"Too Bad" doesn't sound like a winner of a title, esp for the Beatles later period. "Not too bad" would be worse though.

supermd likes this.
  13. paper shoes

paper shoes Forum Resident

I think it was David Wigg in October 1969 who asked George, "You can't split can you?", and George's reply was something along the lines of "spiritually we can never split" and I guess that proved to be the case. Maybe there's a technicality on paper that Mark is cryptically referring to that says The Beatles did still exist after the 1971 court case ended and even after those papers were signed in 1974, "Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna".

I can't believe that Mark isn't interested in them as solo artists, but he may not be interested in writing a book about that subject. He could certainly write a volume that covers Beatle activities beyond 1970, being quite heavily involved personally in the "Anthology" project he probably could say quite a lot about that and how relationships between the surviving members played out.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Zeki and maxwell2323 like this.
  14. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

Sorry to ask a question that I'm sure has been asked and answered a million times already, but it's hard to search within a thread if you don't know the exact terms you want to search for... so:

for people who have read both the extended and the regular edition - did you feel that the extra words were worth it?

15. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Was worth it for me. Where the Beatles are concerned, I want it all. Especially when it's Lewisohn's book we're talking about. I'm on my third time through the Expanded Edition. Will probably go once more before the next one comes out. If you're a Beatle fanatic, I can't see where you'd have much choice in the matter. But, that's just me.

forthlin, Marvin, drum_cas and 4 others like this.
  16. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Sad Trombone: The Beatles, 1968-1970

notesfrom, dave9199 and drad dog like this.
  17. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Worth every single penny imo.

18. Absolutely! I actually recommend reading the regular edition first, waiting a bit, and then reading the extended version. Then it's both familiar and new. :)

19. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

I haven't read all 124 pages! So I apologize if this came up already.

A few weeks ago Amazon put the Kindle/e-book edition of TUNE IN on sale for $2.99! I meant to post here but never got to. It's back to $12.99 but it's worth putting it on your wishlist and periodically checking back. I snapped it up ASAP.

The other thing that may have been asked.....is there one Beatles "mystery" that you've always wanted answered and hope too see answered in volume 2?

Zeki likes this.
  20. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I have both and started reading the regular edition first because it arrived first (from Amazon US). But when the extended edition arrived I switched
    immediately. So my answer to the original question is definitely yes; why settle for ultimate minus when you can get the ultimate edition?

By the way, I haven't checked this thread recently. Is he writing yet? Or still researching?

21. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

He said that in a recent podcast that he was thinking of doing a fourth volume to cover solo years 1970-1980 as John was still with us. But the question and Mark half-joked that if we
    all live that long enough.

22. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

At this point I don't think any further volumes will appear. I think the guy's full of **** these days and has bitten off more than he was ever capable of chewing :)

23. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

If that's the case then I am glad to have Vol 1 of the extended version. It covers the years I know the least about and so far I find it fascinating.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

In that case, I might have to throw my hat into the ring and write the next 2 volumes myself.

Let me see:

Tune In Part II: The Beatles Get Really Big
    Tune In Part III: The Beatles Get Really Big-Headed

I think that I can make up the details. It's not like Mark Lewisohn is going to correct me, ehh?

;)

theMess likes this.
  25. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Really? That's depressing

supermd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.