Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

Unfortunately you may be correct. Tune In’s release was five years ago with no word of an imminent release date for volume 2. It’s not looking promising.

Reminds me of George R.R. Martin and Game of Thrones.

2. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Oh fine, now we're comparing Lewisohn to Wordsworth???:shh:

theMess likes this.
  3. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

2020 was the original date for Vol 2 but it has been nudged to 2021,
    I don't remember exactly where I heard/read this but it seems like it was in one of those video interviews with Lewisohn.
    I'm 2 thirds into Book 1 of Vol 1 and I can see why it is taking so long. I hope I'm alive for Vol 3.

somnar, notesfrom and theMess like this.
  4. not yonder

not yonder Forum Resident

This thread is starting to remind me of that late 1966 / early 1967 period Paul McCartney talks about with relish- 'people were saying 'we haven't seen anything from the Beatles for a while - maybe they've lost it'. Meanwhile, the group were busy in the studio making Sgt. Pepper.

5. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

On the "glass half full" side, I'm confident that Mark is absolutely committed to writing the best book that ever has been or ever will be written about the Beatles.

He will deliver and I'm willing to wait for the best--just like I did for Volume One.

6. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

And that took roughly six months, considered an eternity back then.

Mark must live on one hell of an advance from his publisher.

7. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

The book’s always been slated for 2020 (at least since the first book’s publication) and Lewisohn said about a year ago that it may be 2021. None of this is new information or contrary to what we were led to expect.

8. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

went down stairs and had a smoke
    nobody spoke and I went into a horrific nightmare
    I dreamed that Mr Lewisohn passed away,
    to finish Vol 2 & 3 they gave the project to Ken Burns,
    he did it in his trademark documentary style and it aired on PBS.

[​IMG]

theMess likes this.
  9. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Mark Lewisohn on Twitter

Sorry folks, but it’s way too early to say when Volume 2 will be out. Tune In was bigger than War and Peace, and the next one will be its equal or more. It’s an immensely researched and complex history and won’t be out until it’s done. Hang in there – it will be worth the wait.​

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Don't you think that Mr Lewisohn is getting a bit BIG-HEADED, thinking Volume 2 will be the EQUAL (OR MORE!!!) of Tolstoy's War and Peace, possibly the greatest book ever written? ... ;)

11. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Was that in response to this thread?

12. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Page count... More Characters... More drugs

13. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

lol..
    not sure I want to see Wynton Marsalis' take on the matter

YpsiGypsy likes this.
  14. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Mark Lewisohn on Twitter

[​IMG]it was just a joke ML,...or was it?[​IMG]

15. varispeed

varispeed what if?

All the more reason that someone somewhere with drive and desire, pursue the same/similar sources that Mark has access to and create a manageable, yet comprehensive, single book that covers the entire 12 months of 1964, picking up with the moments where Tune In ends. With whatever cool title the author wants... "Beatles Conquer the World- 1964"

Get that created and released. Blue cover.

Then, on to the equally focused followup, the intensely interesting and detailed book of 12 months, "The Beatles at Hyperspeed-1965". Green cover.

And so on. Year by Year. 1966 cover is Yellow. 1967 cover is swirley purpley pink. 1968 cover is white. 1969 cover is red. 1970 cover is black. There... I've done the hard work.

While the as-of-yet-unnamed author perhaps won't reap the advance Mark has, a motivated author can certainly use the existence of Tune-In to then move forward with the year-by-year books. Of course, each book must not suck. That's the hard part.

But otherwise, I don't see that Mark has exclusivity on the source material. I think the idea of the h-u-g-e TuneIn book followed by year-by-year books is the most excellent way to approach things. I'd still buy the Lewisohn followup when it releases in January 2064, but hey... in the meantime....

get on it .....all you fact-hound, lived-the-beatles-in-real-time, source-ladened, motivated, author types.

16. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Right on schedule!:laugh:

I wonder why "a year ago" wasn't way too early to say it'd be out in 2021, but now it's way too early to say when it'll ever be out.

17. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

A lot can happen in a year when Mark's involved. I remember when he did a podcast interview with Stephen Peeples in 2011. He said they were shooting for 2012 as the publication date for TuneIn. As we know, it came out in 2013. I can't recall the details but I'm fairly certain that some new information had come to light which had to be included. From what he's said since, new information is still coming up which significantly changes some aspects of volume 1. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar has been happening in the past year.

18. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Mark: 'Well, originally I was pointing out that fact in reference to Russia – that epic novels meant more to people than short biographies did, or autobiographies at this time. I wasn't knocking it or putting it down... I’m not saying Tune In is better or greater than War And Peace or Anna Karenina, or comparing music biographies with Russian literature, or fiction as a thing or whatever it is. I just said what I said, and it was wrong, or was taken wrong, and now it’s all this.'

19. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Seems that his target audience are the unborn.

maxwell2323 and mrgroove01 like this.
  20. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Because he already suspects he's going to miss his target date, but doesn't want to say it (yet)...

supermd, theMess and Headfone like this.
  21. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Well played. I LOLed :)

JohnnyH and notesfrom like this.
  22. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

You may very well be correct. His publishers probably give him a very fine line to walk with regard to disclosure of information.

Me? I'm just gonna wait. I'll be great when it happens.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

George's toe nail scissors (rusted but functioning!) has been retrieved from a dump in Yorkshire. DNA information may shed light on how often he cut his toenails, and if he started with his left or right foot.

You don't think that's worth waiting for?

supermd and Frank like this.
  24. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Actually there's a pretty good book on the Beatles in 1966:

https://www.amazon.com/Beatles-66-R...TF8&qid=1534191117&sr=1-1&keywords=beatles+66

I don't know how Lewisohn's volume 2 will compare but I'd recommend reading this in the meantime.

25. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.