Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

Do you really have to ask? :)

So many people believe that he started with his left. There is so much disinformation on the internet related to this issue. Hopefully we will get the true answer - as well as how much he paid for those scissors. There has to be a receipt.

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Right foot for George; Left foot for Ravi:

[​IMG] ;)

supermd, theMess, maxwell2323 and 2 others like this.
  3. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Relax, it'll be in the stores for Christmas...

4. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Brilliant, cheers for posting these - very interesting listening to Mark as always

Mark's still not positive but he speaks about Vol 2 ending NYE 1966, and Vol 3 ending NYE 1970, which I think is the first time he spoken about the timescales of the two books

And health permitting maybe a 4th book running to NYE 1974

5. Arnold Grove

A 4th book? He's certainly getting a little ahead of himself, ehh? Someone needs to tell him to just work on the second book now... ;)

jmxw, supermd, Big Pasi and 3 others like this.
  6. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

What Beatles fan among us would not want to be a part of the Beatles "family".
    Fifty years from now when Beatlemania becomes 100 years old Mark Lewisohn's books will be seeked out and he too will be a part of the Beatles historical family.

7. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Fascinating Q&A with Lewisohn - oh, to have an afternoon with this guy...

One thing I'm worried about is related to... well, life. I'm sure Mark took care of "In case of..." case and has somebody to finish all volumes at some point in time.

But, his work being so important for music and culture in general, shouldn't there be some kind of organization/institution to ensure further funding of Beatles explores and adding new facts and finds to his existing work?
    Count me first for some kind of funding of that body!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  8. Arnold Grove

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink ... ;)

[​IMG]

Zongadude likes this.
  9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Critter likes this.
  10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Could Giles remix those interviews? Would like to hear a wider soundstage, maybe 5.1....

guitarman1969 likes this.
  11. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

Just got through listening to these and, as ever, Mark is on eloquent and engaging form. Interesting to hear that there is a faint possibility that Jane Asher may consent to an interview.

I still wonder if Paul, Ringo, Olivia and Yoko have read volume 1. Pete Best was asked by Billboard if he'd read it...

"Asked to comment on the Lewisohn book, he said, “I've had a good life. I've been successful in what I've put my hand to, whether it be band-wise or whatever the productions were. So I'm happy with the family. I love being on the road. I love working (and) working on different projects, which I'm doing now. But it's always nice to come back home again.”

not yonder likes this.
  12. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

That's not a comment on the book though. He dodged the question and what's more baffling is Billboard printed it as a legit response to the question.

13. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

Yes I know - and I think it's very telling that he dodged it.

14. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Haha, as if the question wasn't asked at all! Steve Marinucci at it again, if it can't be copypasted from a press release, count him out. (Original Beatles Drummer Pete Best on His Acting Debut In 'Lennon's Banjo' )

15. Arnold Grove

If Jane did grant an interview, Mark will likely have to revise many of the chapters that he MIGHT have written for Volume 2.

By the way: Does anyone think that Mark has actually started to write some of the chapters for Volume 2? Meaning, does he write the book in little parts? Or will he gather information until say December 31, 2019 (or whatever date he picks for himself), and then write the whole thing in one go, say over the course a whole year (say 2020), or longer if need be?

16. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

In these Q&As, he is clear that he hasn't start writing it yet - it's mostly gathering primary sources, interviews and keeping up with new finds and "caves" of knowledge.

It's fascinanting to hear him say that a color photograph of Beatles in Cavern club is yet to surface! :)
    That says a lot about his work and all these volumes of All these years...

17. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

With 'Tune In" having been released about 5 years ago (Oct. 2013), and Volume 2 possibly being released no earlier than 2021, that would be roughly an 8 year span between his first two books in the series.

To put that in perspective, if we look at another 8 year period, 1962 to 1970, the Beatles released 12 studio albums, 13 EPs and 22 singles in the UK. (And then there's the tours, TV and radio performances, and movies.)

Completely said with tongue-in-cheek, it seems it was easier actually being the Beatles than it is writing about the Beatles.

petem1966 and anthontherun like this.
  18. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

It is exactly as you'd wish, very pleasant afternoons.

None of them have ever commented on it even but who knows!
    Still collecting, collating, cogitating. Writing probably starting this year.

petem1966 and dustybooks like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Thanks. So I guess, then, if Mark gets the Jane Asher interview, he won't have to rewrite anything.

Still I wonder how quick he can write the book after he gathers all of the info and ends his gathering/collecting/collating period. Would he need a year? 2 years? It's certainly a huge amount of material that needs to be condensed into a readable form.

20. Arnold Grove

Gosh, that would be an amazing photo to see. I wonder who has this photo now (it sounds like Mark knows that it exists).

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Call Ron Howard and ask him to supply you with a colorized one. ;)

Arnold Grove likes this.
  22. Arnold Grove

:tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

supermd likes this.
  23. Good grief! That means I will be nearly 70 if Book 3 comes out in 2029. If I live that long!:laugh: I must say 'Tune In' is an incredible book. A masterpiece.

24. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Well there are colour photos of The Beatles at the Cavern, but not all of them, not on stage, and not in a place identifiable as the Cavern. So...

Arnold Grove likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.