Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

By the way, are there any color photos of the Beatles in Hamburg (1960-1962)?

2. Arnold Grove

May we have a peek? ... ;)

3. Arnold Grove

So just milling about amongst a crowd of fellow patrons? Or in a close-up in a corner? Something along those lines?

4. Arnold Grove

Found it! Detective work pays off!:

[​IMG]

;)

5. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

He said it will be TALLER!

6. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

If Lewisohn gets an interview with Jane Asher it could be big.
    If she were to grant it I wonder why now? Would she be fulfilling something personal or just to set history correct?

7. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Clearly they were scrambling in those early days, playing guitars without strings. Yet somehow prevailing!

edenofflowers likes this.
  8. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

I have a feeling that she won't do an interview while McCartney is still alive

9. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

Hopefully for the rest of us....she (Jane) has been keeping a memoir of sorts all this time.

10. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Critter likes this.
  11. Arnold Grove

And I have a feeling that she won't do an interview while McCartney is dead. ;)

In other words, I don't think she will ever grant an interview.

12. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

I wonder how the next volume will cover the band's recording sessions. I know ML has said he'd basically rewrite the Recording Sessions book and put it in the middle of the biography, but there's far too much to cover, isn't there? Along with all the other happenings. The initial years only had three or four sessions, so he could get away with giving them their own rundowns and subheadings. I wonder how he'll fit in hundreds of days worth?

13. SFJ

SFJ Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about it recently. The thing is that if Mark repeats the level of deep minutia with every aspect of the Beatles lives like he did in the volume, he might cover every recording session in detail and their live shows as well. Next volume will certainly cover Beatlemania when the band spent most of their nights playing, and even though they probably didn't altered their setlist too much like in their Hamburg/Cavern days, it will still be a lot to cover in a single book, even in the Extended Edition.
    I do wonder if three volumes will be enough to cover everything, even though he's been thinking about making it four volumes, the last one is intended to cover the period between Paul leaving the band and the dissolution of their partnership.
    In my mind, I think a better approach would've been to cover every two to three years per volume, and make it something like six books, something like this:
    • Vol. 1: The Early Years (1800s-1962)
    • Vol. 2: 1963-1964
    • Vol. 3: 1965-1966
    • Vol. 4: 1967-1968
    • Vol. 5: 1969-1970 (Until the release of Let It Be)
    • Vol. 6: The Final Years (1970-1974)

rediffusion likes this.
  14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

If he starts in the 1800's...we, the living, are completely screwed.

notesfrom and SFJ like this.
  15. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Big news: he already did

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Oh! :D I guess no one's screwed then.

Bryan Harris, SFJ and dustybooks like this.
  17. paper shoes

paper shoes Forum Resident

Mark's just done another interview for something called "Let it be Beatles", they're streaming it in four parts before releasing the whole thing as a podcast. First part has already gone out, has anybody got a link to a recording?

Was intrigued that he's had access to Patti's diaries, does this mean he'll be able to pin down the date of the dentist experience? I've always wondered what the first thing The Beatles did after that happened, it can take days to recover from that kind of thing and they rarely had a day off at that point. I'd always assumed it was towards the completion of "Help!", shortly before that MBE "And Mr Ed!" interview.

ajsmith, hamishd91 and notesfrom like this.
  18. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Try here,
    Let It Be Beatles
    If not maybe look up their Facebook page?

19. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

notesfrom likes this.
  20. SFJ

SFJ Well-Known Member

According to their Twitter page, "there's a three week delay until the most current episode is available" online, so we'll have to wait until October 15 in order to listen to the first part, and then three more weeks to listen to the other three. Here's where they post their new episodes once they become available: Let It Be Beatles.

paper shoes likes this.
  21. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

i love these threads.
    i think we have the date of the dentist don't we?...it's in one of those books........like spring of '65......maybe it was a mojo article or something....i think we have the month anyway........

22. paper shoes

Goldman said it was 1964, which is almost certainly wrong. Hunter Davies had dated it to 1965 in the official biography and Lewisohn himself was no more specific when finding the address of the Dentist's home for "The Beatles London", Peter Brown said it was during the making of "Help!". Miles has it down as "around" 27th March 1965 but I'm not sure what he bases that date on. Keith Badman went for April 1965. Patti, in her book, would only say "one evening sometime in 1965" which may indicate that she wasn't keeping a diary that year or only noting down more formal engagements. George in "Anthology" said it was "between albums and tours", so in his mind they weren't particularly busy at the time which perhaps points more towards late May/early June? Paddy, Klaus and Gibson, who are a part of this story, released their first single in July.

I think it would have to be after the Beatles returned from the Bahamas on 11th March 1965, because John Riley (the Dentist) apparently met up with them out there and logically the dinner party would have occurred after that. And it would obviously be before the '65 American tour in August 65 where they took it for a 2nd time with Neil, Ringo, Peter Fonda and the Byrds, so "Spring 1965" would be the safest and most accurate date to go with based on what we know but hopefully Mark can narrow it down further. Patti mentions that John had already read about LSD in "Playboy" so I'm sure Mark will be looking into that.

rediffusion likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Yes, with Mark spending all his time supposedly writing his next book, he certainly may need to look at Playboy for supplemental "research".... ;)

24. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I think the book that came out recently on the year 1966 goes into detail about the dental experience, the author's name escapes me tho

25. paper shoes

Jon Savage?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.