Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

I'm still only on the first book of Volume 1, sadly being in the last year of my degree meant I had to prioritise reading for my dissertation and not getting lost in the pre-Beatles heydays. I'm looking forward to finishing it off in the summer sun after exams.

I expected a couple of years wait for Volume 2, but five more years?! I assumed he had done most of his research for the entire project, and just had mostly the writing left. I don't even want to imagine where I'll be in 2020.

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

You'll be here with the rest of us, complaining that Volume 2 was delayed for another 2 years due to Mark's inability to figure out whether Paul played on "She Said She Said" or not. He got stuck on that mysterious recording session, and he thought another 2 years of research would allow him enough time to finally solve the problem... ;)

thesisinbold and theMess like this.
  3. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

The extended edition currently comes out to $160. This is one of those things that's too expensive now so I won't get it, yet as soon as it's sold out I'll be kicking myself because it's so much more expensive. :)

I guess it's library time.

JimC likes this.
  4. Arnold Grove

But you'll have to go to a library in the UK---so that will bump up the cost.... ;)

petem1966, theMess and Wade like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I didn't do any kind of scientific study, but I recall the impression that a lot of folks who started with the longer one weren't as impressed by it as those who started with the shorter one. :shrug:

Obviously few would read the long one first and then the short one, but I suspect more than a few have read the short one and then the long one - people like me who weren't sure they like any iteration, loved the short one and then got the long one...

6. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

I've read the trade edition twice and am about 3/4 of the way through the Extended Special Edition. Something tells me that neither of the two upcoming volumes will equal "Tune In." I'm sure they'll be fab and well worth reading, but there's so much we already know about the people, places and things involved in Mania and beyond. How's Mark ever going to surpass the wealth of untold stories, pre-1963? (But, then again, if anyone can...)

I mean, if you've read Lewisohn's Complete Recording Sessions and Chronicle, you've got a fair idea of where he's gonna go. Don't get me wrong, though. I'll be first in line for Volume Two (I hope).

Oh...and for those who may be wondering...if you're a Beatles Fanatic---skip trade and go Extended Special Edition for Volume Two. I know that's my plan, next time around.

petem1966 likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

That's definitely my goal! As I believe I've already said in this thread - and probably said a few times! ;) - the first volume was a tough sell for me, as I was never very interested in pre-1962 Beatles history. V1 changed my mind about that!

So the extendeds of V2 and V3 are no-brainers for me...

theMess likes this.
  8. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Seriously! I did the math and I was 33 when vol. 1 came out, I will be 40 when vol. 2 (hopefully) comes out and let's say 47 when vol. 3 comes out. I should be alright but Mark is my dad's age so I'm more worried that HE be around to finish it!

forthlin, ssmith3046 and theMess like this.
  9. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Same here, and I fully agree. I am currently reading it again, so that I absorb more of it.

forthlin and DrBeatle like this.
  10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I've been struggling with getting through the long version. There is some extensive coverage of history of Liverpool, the music business, and quite a bit of background on the parents & families of the Beatles. It's interesting, and I've learned a lot, but it's really not why I wanted to buy & read the book. I'm about 350 pages in where John & Paul are about to meet so the story is getting some traction at this point, I think I'll being enjoying it more from this point. As Ben (The Mess) mentioned, I may re-read the whole thing again when I'll have more patience about getting to "the good parts." I join the chorus of those who hope to survive long enough to read the complete trilogy.

theMess and EddieMann like this.
  11. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

That's why I'm actually excited about the fact that he hasn't finished the research for Vol. 2 because that hopefully means there is still new information to be uncovered. The only downside to Tune In is that it's kind of dominated by John's story. I'm excited for there to be more in-depth information on Paul and George, and how the whole hierarchy situation gradually becomes more and more of a problem.

somnar likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

I thought the book balanced the four "stories" pretty well. I suspect it's natural for John's part to dominate somewhat because a) he had more drama involved, and b) he started the band...

13. I bought the standard version of Tune In in ebook format, expecting that the situation with the expanded version would eventually sort itself out in the U.S. Then I'd enjoy "re-reading with bonuses" with the expanded version. So far, reality has not met my expectations. Is there a portal to a parallel universe where reality is more accommodating?

14. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

That's what I mean. I wasn't criticising Lewisohn so much as noting that the mania period is where the other Beatles have a more prominent role, and in George's case, it's where things get much more interesting.

John had more drama, but his life has been covered so much that I personally wasn't as interested in hearing about him as the others. It was really nice to learn more about Ringo though.

elvissinatra likes this.
  15. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Let's not forget the hope that Lewisohn survives long enough to finish writing it!

Turmatic, theMess and forthlin like this.
  16. Arnold Grove

And images of Yoko hovering in Mark's mind kept him awake at night, ensuring that Mark got it "right" when it came to showing who was the most important and dominating Beatle... ;)

bewareofchairs and edenofflowers like this.
  17. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I bet the last line of the second book is...
    "Paul opened the door and found a young Japanese woman standing on his doorstep. Her name was Yoko Phyllis Ono."
    He's got to be dreading dealing with Yoko over the third volume and I wouldn't be surprised if her arrival was the cut off point for book 2 as it would delay the possible hoo-haa over book three. If book three really does cover the period up to John's assassination then 67/68 might be the point book two ends and book three begins.
    Either way it's going to be a hard wait. The Extended Tune In is the business! :edthumbs:

Choba b CCCP and theMess like this.
  18. Arnold Grove

Phyllis is her middle name. Really? I didn't know that.

theMess likes this.
  19. edenofflowers

That's Anglicised. In Japanese it's pronounced 'Gladys'. :winkgrin:

petem1966 and theMess like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

I think someone is pulling my leg...

theMess likes this.
  21. edenofflowers

I was pulling both of 'em! :D

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  22. Arnold Grove

Just leave the middle one alone... ;)

23. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

What does Mark Lewisohn have to fear from Yoko Ono? She is now 82. By the time the third book is published there is a very good chance that she'll have left this earthly plain. Even if she has not, I would imagine that this project is Lewisohn's swan song. How can she do or say anything to him at that point that would affect his professional or personal life?

theMess likes this.
  24. edenofflowers

She could put pressure on the publishers to not publish the book as it was intended to be released. Legally there's a lot she can do to make Lewisohn's life difficult regarding the publishing of details about John & her's life in the late 60s particularly when I'm sure there's a lot that she wouldn't want documented in a tome which will be regarded by some as the final word on the subject. She's got the money, influence and lawyers to place a lot of hurdles in the way of releasing anything she's not happy about. I get the impression that Yoko is extremely concerned about John's public image and could get really nasty if some of the more distasteful stories came out in such a highly regarded series of books. I don't think ML is looking to dish the dirt but I think he'll touch on all aspects of the fabs' lives that would have an influence on the band and it's music including their relationships and their drug use.
    I really hope there are no problems but I'm sort of expecting some when it comes to publishing book 3.

25. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Considering the revelations about her meal ticket that came out in Tune In without a peep from her, I don't think we need to be too concerned about her making a stink even if she's still around to do it.

If Lewishohn sticks to the truth, there's not much she can do about it anyway. There's a reason she never went after Goldman or Brown or Rosen legally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.