Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

No idea who this GG is but, on a completely unrelated note, check out the cast for Mechanic: Resurrection: Jason Statham, Tommy Lee Jones and (scroll down the cast list)... sweet mother of God!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3522806/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2

dewey02 likes this.
  2. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

mr. scratchy esq likes this.
  3. slane

slane Forum Resident

supermd, BEAThoven, mrjinks and 10 others like this.
  4. slane

slane Forum Resident

Continued...

supermd, mrjinks, Jose Jones and 9 others like this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

^^^The most important fact that I gathered:

Lewisohn is still thinking that volume two will come out in 2020. He is still researching, and writing hasn't started.

Writing hasn't started!!! AHHHHH!!!!! ;)

6. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I hope Vol 2 has a super deluxe edition. :D

Marvin, DrBeatle and AJK74 like this.
  7. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

I was at this. I'm the one who asks the question about whether Vol 2. would cover how Allan Williams, Bob Wooler, Rory Storm etc. reacted to having once been part of a phenomenon i.e. how it was when for them when they were no longer involved.

The whole day was good, though somewhat disorganised (typical for the Adephi Hotel in Liverpool, I'm sorry to say). However, Donovan was there and I managed to get an LP signed which was pretty cool... Patti Boyd, Bob Gruen, May Pang and Peter Asher were amongst the other guests present.

supermd, ConnieGuitar, Dugan and 2 others like this.
  8. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I know, crazy. I'm not being morbid when I say I hope he lives long enough to finish this! I would think the research would be a bit easier now since so much of their lives and careers was documented on film, newspaper, magazines, radio, etc. It's the pre-fame stuff I reckoned would be the most difficult to track down.

forthlin and Big Pasi like this.
  9. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

What would you say if you were being morbid?

10. DrBeatle

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good one...fair enough!

O Don Piano, theMess and bababooey like this.
  11. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

I, too, hope he lives long enough to finish it, and more selfishly, I hope I live long enough to read it. I would think the challenge is different for Volume 2. For Volume 1, there wasn't as much material a to sift through, as they weren't particularly famous. With all the material out there for 64-67 (assuming that's the period covered in Vol 2), I imagine it will take a substantialamount of time to sift through it all.

DrBeatle likes this.
  12. Arnold Grove

So if I have things right, and according to your theory:

For Volume 1, Mark did a lot of digging.

For Volume 2, Mark is doing a lot of sifting.

I guess for Volume 3, Mark will be avoiding Yoko (in person, that is) ... ;)

forthlin, stuguy, longaway and 4 others like this.
  13. DrBeatle

Exactly. Although a lot of the people around them at the time are now dead, many are not, and as we both said, the wealth of available source material to research is exponentially more than it would have been for the pre-1962 years.

fallbreaks likes this.
  14. Well, to be morbid, it's easier to interview people while they're still living, but it easier to wrote about them while they're not.

15. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I wish he started this 10 years earlier. We'd be three years away from vol 3.

longaway likes this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

How many more editions till Vol 2?

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You can call me selfish if you want, but I'd prefer to be alive in 2028 without a Lewisohn book to read than to be dead and have the rest of you read Lewisohn! :laugh:

supermd, BeatlesBop, Skywheel and 6 others like this.
  18. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

His comments on the Ron Howard film are interesting. That's something to look forward to in the meantime!

theMess likes this.
  19. Arnold Grove

You can always request to be buried with the book, just in case... ;)

20. I started reading my expanded version earlier this week. As I read, I cannot tell if I'm reading more details, or have just forgotten details! I just finished reading about Grandfather John Lennon (with all his wives and children) and his brother the priest.

Also, I think this is the first *new* book I've ever owned that had a bookmark ribbon. Very handy for the notes in the back of the book!

21. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Thanks for sharing that. I could listen to Mark speak for hours. He is always well-informed, well-spoken, gracious, and entertaining. We Beatles fans are very lucky to have a person like him working on this project regardless of how long it takes.

supermd, O Don Piano, Critter and 9 others like this.
  22. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I'll second that, I also cannot praise Mark too highly. I've bought all his books over the years but the expanded Tune In is the best biography I have ever read bar non. We are indeed very lucky to have such a talented writer producing these books. I'd like to add, Bruce Spizer is equally impressive in the area he covers.

O Don Piano, AJK74 and theMess like this.
  23. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

I was at International Beatle Week and personally I thought the event was brilliantly organised.
    I was at International Beatle Week as well and I found it be excellently organised by Cavern City Tours not the Adelphi Hotel, which is just one
    of the venues. On the Sunday there were 14 rooms with different things going on , very well organised. Yes there were problems with the Adelphi
    hotel but it did not distract from my enjoyment of the event.

24. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Volume 1 ended in 1962.

MoonPool likes this.
  25. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Where are those comments?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.