Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Completely makes sense for Lewisohn to stick the post-Beatles years/coverage into a vol. 4. Four Beatles, four volumes (fifth for an appendix, and all the honorary Fifth Beatles).

After the final Beatles years (Apple, Yoko, the final albums and the breakup, to name a few heavy issues), there needs to be some kind of 'space' between those events, time for the final chord to fade, and continuing with the non-Beatles in the 1970s. And I certainly don't want to wait an extra ten years while Mark re-researches the lost weekend.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  2. Kwai Chang

Kwai Chang Forum Resident

...but, it's a blurrr!

3. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

It started out kind of slow but has been gaining momentum. Just passed the Philippines episode. I'd recommend it.

4. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

How about The Beatles' Biographers Biographers ... ?

Third-hand accounts are often the very best.

Kwai Chang likes this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Someone has to be unafraid and state the real facts! May as well be me... ;)

Kwai Chang likes this.
  6. Kwai Chang

I'm right behind you, Arnie!
    (it might be dangerous...you go first)

Arnold Grove likes this.
  7. Arnold Grove

I walk backwards though... ;)

supermd and Kwai Chang like this.
  8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Surprisingly there hasn't yet been an Official Beatles Cookbook. Savory SavoyTruffles, Finger Pies, Abbey Road Kill, Marigold Breakfast (Yesterday's Scrambled Eggs with Piggie Bacon), etc

9. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Recipe Records: A Culinary Tribute to the Beatles: Lane Stagg, Julie Reynolds: 9780615768809: Amazon.com: Books

New Cookbook Pays Tribute to Beatles’ Golden Anniversary

She Came In Through The Kitchen Window: Recipes Inspired by the Beatles and Their Music: Amazon.com: Books

Strawberry Pie Forever: New Beatles Cookbook

theMess, PhilBorder and numer9 like this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sounds about right.

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

12. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

There just ain't nothin' new any more!

theMess likes this.
  13. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Does he include world reaction to the break up to end vol 3, or use it to start vol. 4?

If he wants to whet our appetite for reconstruction-era Beatles by following 1970 to its conclusion, I'm all for that, but beginning vol. 4 with the day after the Beatles broke up (news of) is a slightly more compelling jump-off point for a volume on post-Beatles lore.

But I guess it depends just how much one is interested in post-breakup events, and how long one wants to wait to read about it.

14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

We finally got a glimpse into Apple's mind about their reluctance to release more Beatles outtakes.

Chuckee likes this.
  15. Arnold Grove

To me, the last line is the wittiest, and it shows that the person (or persons) who wrote that humorous blurb really know their stuff: "In reaction to the discovery, Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys has shown dramatic signs of improved mental health." Very witty...

theMess and supermd like this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I thought the exact same thing. :)

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

18. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

So volume 2 of the Lewisohn book... Are people here anticipating that this will be similar to the Anthology CD/LP/Cassettes series in that Vol. 2 will be the real meat/tvp of the story, so to speak?

In other words, it will be the most interesting volume and time in the Beatles' lives - the days in which the most ground is broken, the most crazy exploits will occur (without even wanting to), and it will be the most fascinating of the volumes to read and re-read, because it contains the Beatles' peak (which is more like a very high and long plateau) whether 1967 is included or not (it will probably end with the end of 1966, logically, or with the Beatles about to record their new SFF/PL single).

I'm just wondering how'if Lewisohn will be able to wrap his head around the Beatlemania years and be able to not only capture its essence, but somehow be able to represent and deliver its sheer totality in book form. That is the task in front of him. The information he has dealt with thus far is not unlike the history of recorded sound, limited in information and availability along this timeline. There is a torrent of information once he hits '64. The good news is that primary contemporary sources are plentiful and the angles will be greater than ever. The bad news is that Neil isn't around anymore.

19. Kwai Chang

A Beatle wig instead of the standard book cover might help.
    (the book should be big enough for a decent fit)

notesfrom likes this.
  20. We are not worthy, apparently. :(

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

IIRC, Lewisohn indicated the US publisher wouldn't do the Expanded hard version and he couldn't come to an agreement with them for an expanded soft version.

theMess and sallymae_hogsby like this.
  22. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

23. Arnold Grove

theMess likes this.
  24. I'm going to start taking back all the "thank you's" I've given to people, whom I'm no longer fond of.

Then I'll start taking back all the "bless you's" if they sneezed in my presence.

25. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

And why do you think that is? Are they unhappy with his work? Does the truth tarnish the brand?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.