Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Lewisohn has more or less made a career out of creating interesting products that Beatle fans want and enjoy. He is the anti-Apple :)

2. Kwai Chang

Kwai Chang Forum Resident

Who knows? I'm sure it was nothing per$onal.

nikh33 likes this.
  3. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

To write honestly and accurately about imperfect, famous or at least well-known people is to perhaps make one's self not as welcome as they used to be amongst "they" who patronize your writings. That's just my theory.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I'm confused then. Is he a PEAR?:

[​IMG]

;)

theMess and Peace N. Love like this.
  5. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

He did manage to blow up a few accepted parts of the myth in Vol. 1. Be curious to see if he does the same in the next one.

6. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

You will get the answer around 2025 !.

7. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

I never got the revised Past Masters on CD or vinyl, did they remove ML's notes as well?

FritzL likes this.
  8. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

The Man Who Knew Too Much.

HoundsOBurkittsville and supermd like this.
  9. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

10. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

I remember reading somewhere that Mark was the original choice as 'co-writer' for Many Years From Now and he actually started working with Paul. This didn't last long when he started correcting Paul's memories of certain things and, knowing Mark, probably providing documentary evidence as proof. I always thought the blurb on the back of the hardback edition of MYFN was very telling - Paul is quoted as saying, "I'll give it to you as I remember it", so accuracy probably wasn't his priority. His real agenda was to show that he was as good as John, he (Paul) was the true avant-garde Beatle, and he had that percentage system to show their respective contributions to various songs. I think Tune In told too many inconvenient truths (particularly about Paul who comes across as a pain in the proverbial for much of it) and was probably the final straw, so all past connections with ML are now being severed.

AJK74 likes this.
  11. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

There has also been the story about Beatles insiders or even McCartney and Ringo himself not returning calls since the first book came out.

12. guitarman1969

Headfone, gottafeelin and kushiro like this.
  13. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Neither of which is true. Lewisohn hasn't worked for Apple, EMI/Parlophone or MPL since before 2003. It was his decision not to, he wanted to write All These Years independently.
    It's certainly POSSIBLE that Giles is PO'd on his dad's behalf and 'suggested' to Universal or Apple that the credit be removed, but it's equally likely that Universal said "Who is this guy? Is he contracted to us? Do we have to pay him? No? Then screw him" That's the way the US entertainment business works.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    theMess and Easy-E like this.
  14. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

I listened to the "Something About the Beatles" podcast episode with Lewisohn sitting in and talking about Allan Williams... and (never having listened to the podcast before) loved every second of it. What I liked about it was that Lewisohn was engaged in a conversation about the farther reaches of Beatle lore that he obviously knows so intimately, such a far cry from the usual standard interview, and I felt like I was overhearing a deep conversation between people as obsessed with the band's minutiae as I am, only of course more so and with far more depth of knowledge than I'll ever have. Secondarily was the sense of history I got regarding the nature of Beatles fandom going way back to the early conventions and such, which I found fascinating to hear about.

I've listened to some of the other episodes of SATB and they're good, but not quite on the same level for me. I'm wondering if there's any other text or audio or whatever that features this kind of high-level and knowledgeable discussion that goes beyond "you know, Get Back was actually recorded *before* Abbey Road" and such. Or if there's some comprehensive history out there of Beatles collecting and fan gathering post-'60s. Maybe this is the wrong thread but it seemed like sort of an outgrowth? Mods feel free to yell at and/or delete me.

Critter, EddieMann and theMess like this.
  15. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I loved it too. Hearing Mark reminisce about the early conventions, about Alan Willaims' Conga Train, the fun and camaraderie they all felt. It sounded like being a Fab fan in the mid 70s was a lonely but passionate pursuit but those conventions, although sparsely attended, were a haven for obsessive Beatleheads. It must have been so exciting seeing and hearing those familiar Beatlegs for the first time in the company of like minded fans. Being able to buy original Stu paintings from Alan himself for relative peanuts, all sorts of rarities dirt cheap, it sounds like heaven to me.

When I first got into the fabs, 1982 onwards, there were already decent documents about the band and throughout the 80s and 90s we continued to be served well as fans both officially and unofficially. By the time Recording Sessions, and then Chronicles, were released the Beatles had started to become a subject that more and more people took seriously and became academic about. Then the internet happened and now it's all this...but I bet those early conventions were far more exciting, albeit far less informed, than they could ever hope to be today.

It's a treat to listen to the old guard reminisce and I'd recommend it to any one who's a Beatle fan.

16. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Yes, the 2009 version has notes by Kevin Howlett.

Obviously we knew that Mark was in the process of writing the biography for a long time, but the first volume didn't come out until four years after the remasters so I doubt the revelations played any part in the removed credit.

superstar19 and guitarman1969 like this.
  17. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

The first convention in Liverpool was the weekend of October 9th 1977. I was surprised how well-attended it was. Seeing all the b8tlegs was great- Renaissance Minstrels 1 and 2, Have You Heard the Word, Last Live Show, Sweet Apple Trax, As Sweet As You Are, Yellow Matter Custard- 99% rubbish when listened to! Allan Williams and Bob Wooler ran the Con (sort of!) with Lord Woodbine in attendance (at the bar!). For me the highlight was on the 9th when we phoned the Dakota to wish John Lennon a Happy Birthday!

18. guitarman1969

That's a good point - I hadn't factored that in. I wonder what the reason was though. Perhaps the mere fact that he was writing the ultimate biography made certain people in the Beatles' camp nervous.

19. guitarman1969

Did he reply? What did he say?!

mrjinks likes this.
  20. Arnold Grove

"Please leave your message after the beep..." ;)

theMess and applejam101 like this.
  21. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

The SATB podcasts have become a regular part of my Beatles research/entertainment. I think I've listened to every episode now. I am spoiled too as both hosts live in my area and I've been able to attend several talks by Robert Rodriguez. Not every episode is a winner, but they hit it out of the park more times than not. I can't recommend it highly enough.

joeislive, trueblue, theMess and 2 others like this.
  22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

John was 'a recluse' in those days and wasn't easy to get to speak to so we had to try very hard to get a number for him. About fifty of us were crowded around the phone which was put through a speaker so we could all hear. After a lot of clicking and whirring (phone calls across the Atlantic were a lot more difficult in those days!) we got connected. The entire conversation went like this:

"Yes?!"

"Hello?! We're calling from Liverpool, England"
    " - "
    "Is that John?"
    " - "
    "Can we speak to John Lennon please?"
    "This Chinese laundry"

"Hello? John Lennon?"
    "Goodbye"

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  23. Arnold Grove

John Lennon was living at a Chinese laundry? ... ;)

theMess likes this.
  24. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Ancient Chinese secret, huh?

Sean Murdock, forthlin and fishcane like this.
  25. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

petem1966, rswitzer and forthlin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.