Beatles boot/Anthology question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

You know how after Sony released the Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3, some people out there responded with their own Genuine Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3, with three times the material?

Has anyone done that with the Beatles after the Anthology project? I mean, what are the most glaring omissions that were made, omissions people know exist because they've heard them on boots? Sound issues have been documented regarding mixes, edits, EQ, processing, etc., but what about track selection?

Just curious, especially after all that talk about the Get Back sessions.

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Let's see...Anthology More, Anthology Extra, Anthology Plus, Anthropology...

Nothing earthshaking just alt takes, mixes and other selections from the Get Back sessions.

mud-

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There was a very well known bootleg that was released later, after the Anthology discs came out. The bootleg was called Anthology PLUS. The package was made to directly tie-in to look like a real add-on Anthology package.

The material wasn't all that great, but some historical live tracks were interesting.

In many cases, other bootlegs have since added (and DUPLICATED) a lot of what Antology was about; if not blatently re-bootlegged Anthology tracks onto concept packages.

For instance, Silent Sea's "Pepperland" has about 12% filler direct from the EMI Anthology set....

Hope that helps!

4. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Just my opinion, but some glaring omissions include the home demos for Bad To Me and Goodbye and the long (or jam) version of She's A Woman. I realize, however, that the demos were subpar in the sound department and for all intents and purposes are considered "solo" recordings. However, the biggest disappointment is the omission of the Beatles' version of A World Without Love that has been confirmed to exist in the possession of Peter Asher.

5. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

Thanks! That's kind of disappointing. I was hoping for something really significant. Maybe not as awesome as Dylan's "Ten of Swords," but at least a good deal better than the Anthology.

I'm holding off on Get Back material until the reissue. I've had mixed feelings about those sessions. My brother had a bunch of Beatles boots a couple of years ago, but none really knocked me out. The Get Back CD's he did have didn't have anything that knocked your socks off, but I'm hoping there's at least enough in EMI's vaults to make a great reissue.

6. awiener

awiener Member

It was at about that time that I began losing interest in this whole thing and I have no info on the boots that followed Anthology. However, the list of what's missing would be so long I wouldn't know where to begin. There were many far more comprehensive bootleg collections, particularly a large box of multiple CDs with the most complete collection of their BBC appearances that I've seen (also a long series of vinyl BBC albums). Here are a few I pulled from my own collection list (there are tons and tons more, especially the "Let It Be" material, which goes on for months, if you have the stomach for it); also no doubt many, many reissues of much of this material, perhaps some in better sound quality:

CD: Artifacts (Big Music BIGMX 006)(5-CD boxed set with book)
    CD: Artifacts II (Big Music BIGBX 008)(5-CD boxed set with book)
    CD: Artifacts III (Big Music BIGBX 009)(4-CD boxed set with book)
    CD: Sessions (Spank Records SP-103)
    CD: March 5, 1963 (Vigotone VT-123)
    CD: Hollywood Bowl Complete (Yellow Dog YD 034)
    CD: Ultra Rare Trax Vol. 1 (The Swingin' Pig TSP-CD-001)
    CD: Ultra Rare Trax Vol. 2 (The Swingin' Pig TSP-CD-002)
    Ultra Rare Trax Volume 1 & 2 (Drexel Records) (2 LP)
    Ultra Rare Trax Volume 3 & 4 (The Swingin' Pig TR 2190 S) (2 LP)
    Ultra Rare Trax Volume 5 & 6 (The Swingin' Pig TR 2191 S) (2 LP)
    CD: Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 1 (1962-1963) (Yellow Dog YD 001)
    CD: Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 2 (1964-1965) (Yellow Dog YD 002)
    CD: Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 3 (1966-1967) (Yellow Dog YD 003)
    CD: Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 4 (1968) (Yellow Dog YD 004)
    CD: Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 5 (1969) (Yellow Dog YD 005)
    CD: Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 6 (1962-1969) (Yellow Dog YD 012)
    CD: Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 7 (1962-1969) (Yellow Dog YD 013)
    CD: Celluloid Rock (Yellow Dog YD 006)
    CD: Unsurpassed Demos (Yellow Dog YD 008) (Esher)
    CD: Acetates (Yellow Dog YD 009)
    CD: The Silver Beatles/Original Decca Tapes (Yellow Dog YD 011)
    CD: Get Back and 22 Other Songs (Yellow Dog YD 014)
    CD: The "Let It Be" Rehearsals Vol.1: Complete Rooftop Concert, 30 January 1969 (Yellow Dog YD 015)
    CD: The "Let It Be" Rehearsals Vol.2: All Things Must Pass (Part 1: Electric Set) (Yellow Dog YD 016)
    CD: The "Let It Be" Rehearsals Vol.3: All Things Must Pass (Part 2: Acoustic Set) (Yellow Dog YD 053)
    CD: The "Let It Be" Rehearsals Vol.4: Rock and Roll (Yellow Dog YD 054)
    CD: '69 Rehearsals Vol. 1 (Blue Kangaroo BK 6901)
    CD: '69 Rehearsals Vol. 2 (Blue Kangaroo BK 6902)
    CD: '69 Rehearsals Vol. 3 (Blue Kangaroo BK 6903)
    CD: The 1968 Demos (Howdy! CD 555-04) (Esher)
    CD: The 1968 Demos (Vigotone VIGO 100) (Esher; supposedly "improved")

7. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Wasn't Anthology Plus an attempt to put the unedited version of songs that got hacked in Anthology, like Not Guilty?

8. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

What did they do to Not Guilty on Anthology? Where's the edit?

Chris

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I agree that the Bad to Me and Goodbye demos would have been nice inclusions. Technically they're not Beatles songs, but then again neither is Come and Get it.

Other glaring (to me, anyway) omissions:
    Love of the Loved from the Decca audition tape.
    Strawberry Fields take one WITH the backing vocals
    Sour Milk Sea and Child of Nature from the Esher demos

I wish they'd used a Beatles performance of All Things Must Pass rather than George's solo demo.

And of course, no matter how much the people who've heard it claim it's boring and tedious, we all want the 27-minute Helter Skelter.

10. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Paul vetoed the inclusion of Love of the Loved for Anthology. I assume that he's saving his '68 demo of Goodbye for his own Anthology type release.

George vetoed using an excerpt of Carnival of Light.

Chris

11. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Anyone know when LIB wil be released?

Carnival Of Light???

mud-

12. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

From the liner notes in Vigotone's "Another Session... Plus" :

"Geoff Emerick edit entire sections out, slowed the song down, and in general made it a less interesting track."

The original version was 4.23 long.

13. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

What did they do to Not Guilty on Anthology? Where's the edit?

The edit is very obvious - the break in the lyrics at the beginning. listen to any boot of not guilty and you can hear it.

14. JWB

JWB New Member

All of the "phony" mixes on Anthology were created in 1984 for an album called "Sessions".

Unfortunately, this means that many of the best and most popular outtakes are affected.

Instead of making new mixes, they used a lot of these bogus remixes for the Anthologies:

"Not Guilty" - The second half of the second verse and a guitar break edited out, which totally changes the structure. The entire ending is fake: created by editing together dozens of loops.

"How Do You Do It" - One section is edited out and replaced by a repeat of another section, inexplicably.

"Mailman, Bring Me No More Blues" - This is a bogus performance, created by editing and looping the real one.

"What's The New Mary Jane" - This is edited, and has lines of lyric fraudulently overdubbed onto the avante-garde section.

"Leave My Kitten Alone"
    "That Means A Lot"
    "Ob-la-Di, Ob-la-da"
    "Come And Get It" - are horrible fake stereo/mono mixes.

15. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Actually, That Means A Lot on Anthology is true mono, not fake stereo. it's interesting how they used these mixes made for the aborted Sessions on Anthology instead. Perhaps George Martin and company were fixed for time, and thus chose to use these already mixed/mastered versions. Who knows?

16. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I thought there was too much mono on the first two Anthology CD's. Like That Means A Lot, No Reply, It's Only Love etc. Then to put the twin track "stereo" outtake of I Saw Her Standing There on the CD single of Free As A Bird was puzzling.

There's also gotta be a better sounding demo of Come And Get It. Enough high end and harshness to choke a horse.

17. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Isn't the Anthology version of Helter Skelter edited? I seem to recall that it's actuall 26 minutes long.

18. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

John, I've always wondered about the quality of that track and the alternate "Ob-La-Di...."

Keith, that is the edit of the supposed 27 minute version.

mud-

19. JWB

JWB New Member

There is an alternate stereo mix from 1982 on the "John Barrett" bootlegs - it sounds a lot better than the Anthology mix, but it's really awkward - the sloppier of the the two vocal tracks seems to be pushed forward.

20. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

21. JWB

JWB New Member

No - those are the same mixes as "Anthology".

The same mixes released on "Anthology" have been available on bootleg since 1985.

Instead of making new mixes, they used the mixes from 1984.

"Clean" stereo mixes of these songs began surfacing only recently - when the cassette archive of John Barrett was discovered and bootlegged.

But there is still no clean mix of the alternate "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" available. Just the "Sessions/Anthology" mix, and another one with terrible sound quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.