Beatles Butcher cover Question

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Tallydad1963, Dec 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tallydad1963

Tallydad1963 New Member Thread Starter

I purchased an excellent, 2nd state LA (#5) stereo Beatles Yesterday and Today with clear indications of a butcher cover underneath. I have read of some folks taking Japanese repro Y&T butchers, pasting a trunk cover on them and selling them as original 2nd state album. Is there a way to tell from the back cover or construction of jacket if mine is a legit 1966 issue?

Second question is who do you guys recommend to peel? I am a little nervous about tearing up my large investment LOL!

2. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

Does it have a "new" smell? Does it look like it was made yesterday?

Post a picture of it.

I really wouldn't peel it.

LA Stereos can be tricky when it comes to peeling. Some of them were pasted over at the Jacksonville plant. That glue was/is not water soluble and the peels never come out quite right. I'm talking when a pro peels it (Jim Hansed of Blue Jay Way Galleries).

fishcane likes this.
  3. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

From a rarity/historical, investment standpoint, it may be more beneficial to leave it in tact. However if you feel you do want it peeled, you are on the right track in getting opinions on "pros" who would do it right. Good luck with your purchase and decision!

fishcane and Muzyck like this.
  4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

at the risk of sounding repetitive ;)

dont peel it.... legit 2nd states that dont have lifted corners(at the minimum) are getting harder to find.there are plenty of 3rd state butchers out there if you are patient to find the right price. I had my second state framed next to a butcher fake until I found a nicely peeled 3rd state to put in its place

NewKidInTown likes this.
  5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.