Beatles Capitol CDs (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Well I've decided to pick up "Yesterday And Today" and "Hey Jude". Primarily for the nostalgia. Same tracks, same running order and of course the album artwork. I'm completely satisfied with both Capitol boxes. I only wish they had followed through and released a volume 3.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  2. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I think we all would have preferred a vol.3 done correctly of course but...
    In the meantime I've got my Capitol boxes and my "unofficial" copies of Y&T& Hey Jude. Just missing AHDN.

BuckNaked and Hard Panner like this.
  3. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Don't be dramatic about it people; it's just NEW COKE.

dlokazip likes this.
  4. slane

slane Forum Resident

Hmm...Not quite true mono, and not true stereo either...Sounds perfect for the US albums! ;)

5. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

And if I recall,new Coke was awful.:shake:

6. slane

slane Forum Resident

I will probably get Y&T, just to have that album and it's rare mixes on CD. Apart from that, I'll probably just make an ITunes comp of all the remastered rarities, the exact tracks to be decided when the previews go up. Should cost me about £40 total, as opposed to £150. I've already assembled my own 'improved' mono Capitol Albums anyway :)

7. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Why would you pay that many pounds even if you wanted the box? - shop around just a little. It's only 160 dollars in Canada - not pounds, and there may be other cheaper prices as well.

8. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

So now I need to ask folks with the sampler - how does the mono sound?

9. slane

slane Forum Resident

Call me old fashioned, but I actually buy CDs from shops ;). I go to town and an hour later I'm at home playing it. Works for me! None of that tracking or waiting for it. RRP here is £145, and I would pay that if it was exactly what I wanted.

Robber Soul and TonyACT like this.
  10. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

OK - I'm with you there. I paid about that for the stereo box at a store just to get it the day I wanted it and start listening. I've just seen so many people here quote crazy Amazon UK prices when things are a lot cheaper elsewhere.

slane likes this.
  11. slane

slane Forum Resident

The waveform of 'Every Little Thing' posted earlier by Wollensack showed that one channel was slightly louder than the other, similar to the 1987 mono CDs. That's probably only minor. More seriously, the monos seem to have been limited to the same level as the stereos (people here were hoping it would be the other way round, with un-limited stereos used to match the more dynamic monos). I've read your earlier posts Tony, so I know you're getting this box partly for the mono tracks, but it looks like you will be getting peak limited versions on this. They'll probably sound ok anyway though.

TonyACT likes this.
  12. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Thanks for that. I really like the stereo box so if they sound as good as that I will be right - though I know some people preferred the mono not just for the mix but for the 'fuller' sound - so I hope it is not too severely limited.

13. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

... or may be the mono's are sourced from the '87 remasters.. :)

14. slane

slane Forum Resident

Well, I can't rule that out, but since it appears that they have gone back to 24/192 transfers for everything (well, except the 1987 mixes of Help! & Rubber Soul, which don't exist in that format), I would find it unlikely that they used any 16/44 'mono' transfers from 1987. I'm not sure how else to explain that imbalance though...

15. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Well, I was only joking.. Possibly they tweaked the tracks intentionally, but how this imbalanced mono would sound we have to hear...

16. slane

slane Forum Resident

This is all trusting that Wollensack's rip was fine (which I'm sure it is). The 1987 monos didn't LOOK wrong. This new mono 'Every Little Thing' does :confused:

17. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

In any case this box looks like an interesting mess, somehow preserving the tradition of the Beatles US presentation...I'm buying it :)

18. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

what makes you think that?

19. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

How's this for irony?

The new box will presumably contain the correct mono mixes of Beatles VI and Rubber Soul. That would mean that the new box would be a better deal for those people who got (and kept) the incorrect version of Capitol Albums, Vol. 2 than for those who got the correct one.

20. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Good thing I only got Volume One!

Evan

21. Douglas Milne

Douglas Milne New Member

That's the deal according to SuperDeluxeEdition, who've been given access and been posting pictures of the set.

slane likes this.
  22. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

It would be a better investment to find a correct copy of Capitol Albums, Vol. 2 than to buy the new pear shaped box or to buy bastardized individual CDs.

23. slane

slane Forum Resident

Nothing 100%, but the info posted earlier in the thread infers that, and that they were re-EQed for this set. They wouldn't re-EQ from the already EQed 2009 masters would they? IIRC, it's believed that this new set utilizes the transfers that were used to make the 2009 versions.

24. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

Yes, working from the safeties makes practical sense. Especially since if a problem arose, they would have needed to get EMI to make another copy from the UK masters, taking valuable time they probably didn't have in a fast moving market.

25. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

well, SuperDeluxeEdition says:
    which is kind of a contradiction since the 2009 versions were remastered after the transfers were converted to 24/44.1 and NOT directly from the 24/192 transfers (according to Guy Massey). EDIT: it was actually Sean Magee, not Guy Massey. Sorry
    So if they did indeed use the 24/192 digital sources (transfers), then they did NOT use the 2009 remasters.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.