Beatles CD singles & EP boxes - same mastering?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RZangpo2, May 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All Thread Starter

I've tested all the singles (except for the first two, which are from the wrong sources, and the last three, which are stereo). All are OOP except for She Loves You/I'll Get You. Some are worse than others. The later singles are only very slightly OOP. AS, can you confirm this, either by testing all the singles or by spot-testing a few?

I haven't yet tried to pick the better channel for each single. I'll post my results when I do.

Even the very slightly OOP singles should sound better when corrected. It's exciting to think that the CD singles box can be improved on, giving us perhaps the most accurate, best-sounding Beatles singles collection yet (at least in digital).

2. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All Thread Starter

3. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

i got the Singles collection today! it only cost me $110.00 Australian dollers !

so are these really from the singles?

4. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

5. mdpierocarey

mdpierocarey Forum Resident

Mostly these are really from the singles.

"Love Me Do/P.S. I Love You" and "Please Please Me/Ask Me Why" are digitally remastered from the LP master, and have been altered from the original singles masters. This alteration is discussed at length on this forum elsewhere.

Everything else appears to be digitally remastered from the singles masters, although not without some problems during the digital remastering process. Be sure to follow up on the thread Rzangpo2 links to above, and onwards from there.

Otherwise, enjoy! These are great copies of the original mono mixes and a heck of a lot of fun to listen to.

Cheers,
    Doug Piero Carey

bhazen likes this.
  6. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

ok thanks ! i saw this and the ep collection a few years ago but i just thought it was the same masters used from the albums !

7. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I'm a little confused between the US Singles and the UK Singles. I know the Beatles LPs were dexterized. Were the US Singles dexterized as well? I see these US and UK singles grey market collections popping up on Ebay and I wondered if they might be expected to sound diifferent because of dexterization or whatever.

8. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Yes, the singles put out by Capitol were Dexterized. In almost all cases they are the same mixes, IIRC, but they will not sound as good as the Parlophone versions. Plus from what I understand Capitol used a heavy hand in cutting the 45's.

9. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

which tracks are in stereo on this singles collection?

10. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I assume you mean the CD singles collection. The ones in stereo are: Ballad of John and Yoko, Old Brown Shoe, Something, Come Together and Let It Be.

11. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

ok thanks for the info! i was wondering why Hey Jude sounded a little different!

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened by request.

13. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

To compile a super ultimate Let It Be set, for completion sakes, should I include the singles box versions of Get Back, Don’t Let Me Down, Let It Be, and You Know My Name? Or will the versions from the 2009 Past Masters/Mono Masters do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.