Beatles (Christmas 2017 releases)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

2. slane

slane Forum Resident

3. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I just picked up The Christmas Records box set in a record shop in Warminster, England. £79.99 but I had a 25% off voucher so just £59.99, which I suppose is not too bad. I have never heard these records despite collecting Beatles records for nearly 40 years....looking forward to hearing this novelty!

4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Great purchase. A fun piece of Beatles history. A really nice presentation, too.

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  5. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The Christmas records are best heard as a topographical map of the band's history.
    1963: Holy moley! Are we famous now?
    1964: Yeah, we're famous now.
    1965: This is getting boring.
    1966-1967: The Chemical Intake Years
    1968-1969: Leave me alone, I don't like you

6. trickster

trickster Well-Known Member

This great post service.

I pre-odered my copy on Novemver. Then on December 30 I got message that the package was lost and I got refund.
    I made another purchase and received my copy.
    But two days ago I recevied the first parcel from November.

So now I have two copies.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

You didn't have to send four pence in to get a free one!

8. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

if anyone knows of a cheap used copy post it here:)

9. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Amazon Canada has it listed (believe is a new copy) for $99.97 CAD, which according to Google (searched 99.97 CAD to USD) is $77.09 USD
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B077181T6W

MusicVaultz has it for $109.99 CAD (The Beatles Christmas Record Box ). I believe you can still apply the code WELCOME at checkout to get a 15-20% discount.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    lennonfan1 likes this.
  10. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

T'isn't free if it's fourpence, now, izzit?
    [Prior post self-censored out of abundance of paranoid caution]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  11. AnalogJ

I don't think anyone is parting with their's so soon. If someone merely wanted to hear them, there are certainly sources to do so that are free. But the cool presentation and execution is not something that a Beatles fan will likely soon part with. The records are sort of presented as artifacts as much as the content themselves, and then there is the added historical contextual information which makes it such a rich thing to have.

Dee Zee likes this.
  12. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Bowie Fett, Pretty.Odd., jlf and 3 others like this.
  13. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

I'm surprised but not surprised. Description still indicates color vinyl. Would have been nice if the initial batch only was color to add some collectability for loyal fans.

lpfreak1170 likes this.
  14. Clark V Kauffman

I might buy another copy of this wonderful set if they “fix” the low volume on the ‘66 Christmas message. Hell, I might buy another one even if it’s identical. This really is pretty much a perfect release — the best way to officially release these fan club recordings. (A digital download card included in each box would have been nice, but you can’t havr everything.)

15. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

The really loyal fans got their copies back in 1963-1970. ;)

16. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Since these have been out for almost a year and sold well, can we expect to see these on CD at some point?

I would think all 7 of these Christmas Discs + a couple of fresh remixes of "Christmas Time is Here Again" at the start, all on one CD, would be really great for Apple to put out.

I think a successful single could be made of a new Love-style Giles mix of "Christmas Time is Here Again"—bringing in some elements of other well-known Beatles songs (maybe a little 'na-na-ha' from 'Hey Jude' here, some guitar from 'I Feel Fine' there, etc.).

metallicramen likes this.
  17. Clark V Kauffman

As much as I love these recordings, I think it would be a mistake to release them on a stand-alone, mainstream CD. Retailers would be flooded with returns. We MIGHT someday see a vinyl reissue of the fan club LP, but that’s it, I would guess.

18. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

It’s never been out of stock on Amazon Canada since it’s release.

19. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I bought them in June and they were color vinyl from US Amazon

20. AnalogJ

Well worth the price.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  21. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

You can get a second one too..."just pay a separate fee". :)
    (Watchers of American television commercials will recognize this line...I'm next wondering when I buy my next car or house if the salesman or realtor will tell me that I can get yet another car or house, all I have to do is pay a separate fee!)

22. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

They should also release the one they had to scrap as they kept singing "Hello Dolly" which was in copyright. Hence all the palava about "The same old song" (which got a credit on the disc on the new version)

23. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Price has doubled. $149.98. Looks like these are coming from Japan. And if you click on "13 New from $72.98" the cheapest one is $105.

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Records-Box-Set/dp/B077181T6W

I understand that they may not want to "mainstream" this (as Clark says above), but I'm still hoping for a CD or at least a digital download version. It seems like a lot of money if I'm going to have to do all the work to digitize it. Now, if they reissued the fan club LP for about $20, I'd go for that.

24. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

I've been saying this for years, and while I don't think it will ever happen, I think he best way to handle a CD release of the Christmas recordings is to make it a 2CD set. Disc 1 would be the fan club recordings as they were originally released . Disc 2 would be an EP including solo Christmas songs, lookig something something like this:
    1. Christmas Time Is Here Again (1995 edit from "Free as a Bird" single) - The Beatles
    2. Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - John Lennon
    3. Ding Dong; Ding Ding - George Harrison
    4. Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney
    5. Come On Christmas, Christmas Come On - Ringo Starr
    That way, you have the fan club recordings commercially available for the die hard fans, and music that casual listeners will enjoy as well.

25. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

And they should also include this!!

dbone828 and BeatleJWOL like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.