Beatles Collection of Oldies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jcmusic, Sep 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naked 9

Naked 9 Well-Known Member

"... Oldies..." (like "Beatles again") is integral to (and an important part of) the original discography, for me.
    And its cover, such a great transition between "Revolver" and "Pepper".
    Since '63, always 2 LP's/year. 1966: "Revolver" and "... Oldies...", 1970: "Let it be" and "Beatles again".

nikh33 likes this.
  2. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Oldies was issued on a black Odeon label in Nicaragua, Colombia, France, and Japan.

The Nicaragua version was black with white lettering. It used the UK catalog number, PCS-7016, although it was later reissued on different label styles with an 01 prefix (01-PCS-7016).

The Colombia version was black with a tricolor oval around the spindle. It used catalog number T-100442 (mono). I cannot confirm a stereo version.

Oldies was originally issued in France on a red Odeon label with black print. In 1969 it was reissued for a short time on a black boxed Odeon label with white print. Although originally issued in mono and stereo, this resissue was stereo-only, and used the original stereo catalog number SLSO-107.

The Japan version used a black Odeon label with white lettering. Original issues, only in stereo, had the catalog number OP-8016. Shortly thereafter, it was switched to an Apple label. In 1992, Toshiba-EMI reissued Oldies on a redesigned black Odeon label, with the catalog number TOJP-7078. Oldies was not included in the 1982 or 1986 mono reissues, also on a black Odeon label.

I cannot recall any other countries where Oldies was released on a black Odeon label.

3. like I said before maybe the tapes fell behind the console did anyone ever check?

SixtiesGuy, gregorya and raveoned like this.
  4. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Has no one looked in the wash basin?

gonz, Drifter, SixtiesGuy and 2 others like this.
  5. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

I picked up a stereo pressing a few weeks ago. UK, two-box Parlophone labels. Nice and flat, and hardly any surface noise.

Side 1: YEX 619 -1G <-- sounds terrible, no high end to speak of; sounds like the stylus is caked with dust, which is isn't
    Side 2: YEX 620 - 4 <-- sounds decent, much better than side one, but nothing special about it

6. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Great album with an awesome cover - very Carnaby St. Owned it on vinyl back in the 80's

Siegmund and culabula like this.
  7. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, it's not a great-sounding disc at all. That doesn't really matter that much to me as I have far superior versions of the tracks elsewhere. But......THAT cover!

For the sake of completion, though, I sourced a mono copy and stuck that in my mono box. I also have a Fame, a 1G and a France for UK Pathé copy (must check what the deadwax on that is, mind).

8. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I think mine is the same, but could you explain two box label? Mine has EMI in block letters in a small box directly above Parlaphone in a large box. There are a series of lines coming out horizontally from the sides of the larger box to the edge. My matrix info is the same (with several different letters in other areas of the dead wax). Made in Great Britain on the rim. Laminated front, thin stock, stereo upper left front. Not flip back.

9. culabula

culabula Unread author.

That's one of the two boxes. There's another one at the bottom. For a while (1969, I believe) the initial design is what is today referred to as 'one-box'.

10. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Great thanks for the reply.

11. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Bought this as an import in '67 when I was 12 years old Even though I was familiar with the U.S. editions inside and out, somehow I thought "This is how these songs are supposed to sound, WTH is Capitol doing?" Looking back on it, that was pretty intuitive for a 12 yr old.

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Black Label Odeon covers up another label for sale to the USA and Canada usually.

13. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I just picked up an old mono copy of A Collection Of Beatles Oldies through Discogs...I always wanted one, 'cos I think it's an excellent compilation of tracks. I much prefer it to the Red Album, to be honest. They should have done a second volume of '67-'70 material, Another Collection Of Beatles Oldies or something like that. Mind you, my copy probably isn't in the greatest shape, little scratchy, little bit worn (I only paid about five quid for it plus shipping) but the kids and I enjoyed when I played it this evening while lashing dinner together. As usual, my youngest stopped what he was doing and stood in front of the stereo listening when "Yellow Submarine" came on:righton:
    Absolutely. It should be considered 'canon' (at least in the UK discography) if for no other reason but that it was the only "greatest hits" type album to come out while The Beatles were still together.

14. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It might have been a nice gesture for those of us buying the Mono Box to have a copy of 'Oldies' in mono bundled with it, not available separately. They could even have used the remastered mono to finally make a decent-sounding copy of this record, with its fab sleeve.

As it is, I now house my original copy in the box.

David Austin likes this.
  15. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

I have a japanese copy on apple and seem to remember how much better it sounded than my other versions on other lp and singles played on a linn lp12.Funny how there is no cd version in the uk sure it would pick up a few sales and the cover is one of thebest they did. Have not got my turntable set up at the moment to give it a spin .

16. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I have the LP, always loved the cover art, it's so swinging 60s. Should be part of their available discography in my opinion.

17. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

I have mint UK first pressings in mono and stereo. The fidelity is only average at best. Great cover, though. No reason to get this other than the cover.

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I think this is the only UK release I have never owned. great sleeve though.

19. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I think this is the only UK release I have never owned. great sleeve though.

20. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

Sleeve design by someone called David Christian,and the back cover Robert Whittaker.

21. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The sleeve stands out as it's SO mid 60's London and of its time - whereas generally Beatles album covers were more timeless and ahead of their time. The Beatles would never have used this cover on a proper studio album, great as it is.

Man at C&A and NumberEight like this.
  22. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

This^^^^ is spot on.

AFOS likes this.
  23. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yeah, the front cover is a bit dated (I won't go so far as to say "cheesy") but the pic on the back cover is pretty cool- the boys stuck in their Tokyo hotel room, fried, just hanging out...I wonder if they knew at the time that those "the four of us just chillin' and hanging out" were kinda numbered...

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  24. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I picked up a Stereo Parolphone 6th pressing (between 1980-1984)
    used from eBay. I really wanted the cover.

Parlophony likes this.
  25. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I kept my stereo copy but sold my mono as it sounded terrible. No highs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.