Beatles collection on Ebay

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ambel, Oct 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ambel

Ambel New Member Thread Starter

2. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

see Ummmm - wow. thread

3. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

$45,000??? Sheesh.

4. About two years ago I got this exact same box (the Dutch pressings) for $100 plus S+H....I don't think this set is all that rare!

5. tamman

tamman Forum Resident

How are the pressings? Is this an audiophile quality set?

6. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

I'll take 2 if they're going that cheap. :)

7. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Damn, maybe I should pick up all the other bc-13 sets on eBay for $150 and contact the guy who bid to see if he'll buy mine for a little less.

8. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Whoa, great idea!

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I've never sold anything on ebay (neither has this seller by the look of it) and I wonder if this is a simple error. I've seen this before - an item that seems to be priced wrongly by a factor of 100.

Presumably, if you enter the price when listing an item, it is possible that an unseasoned seller could type 45000 thinking that it means $450.00?

Mind you, this doesn't explain why someone has bid this amount!!

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Maybe it's a scam? Sell one for $45,000.00, the next will sell for the bargain price of $30,000.00?

Naw - that is *still* too unbelieveable!

11. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I'm sure that is probably what happened, but I would find it hard to believe anyone even bidding at $450. However the seller should have noticed the mistake (if that's what it was) and relisted.

12. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

Whatever the seller's reason for the high price, it will sure cost him a bumdle for the listing fee, as well as paying commission on $45K (I believe you pay commission even if the item does not reach the reserve). It will be the last time he makes that mistake!

I would guess the guy who bid on it did it as a joke, knowing he would not have to honor his bid because it didn't reach the reserve.

13. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I listed a BeeGees promo on Ebay awhile ago & mentioned that on the CD were the words "sample CD- not for sale" & Ebay cancelled my auction. I mention this cause this guy has similar wording. Now I don't get that descriptive with promos.

14. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Well, the seller has cleared it all up by adding to his description-- it turns out it's the **UK** version, folks...!! :)

Those darned imports... they always **do** cost more!!

Wonder what he'd charge if he got hold of one of the Japanese versions of the set?

-Kevin

15. Ben

Ben New Member

As an aside, check the counter on the bottom and look at how many "hits" this page has received...wow.

To bid or not to bid?

That is not the question.

The question is - is there enough organic smokables in this man's diet?

Ben

16. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

THAT EXPLAINS IT!!! :laugh:

Maybe it also contains the super-mega-ultra-rare English/German-hybrid single, "She Loves Dich," which EMI pulled immediately from the market after being barraged with complaints.

17. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

The listing fee on eBay maxes out fairly low, so he didn't have to pay very much.

Maybe he thinks these are real autographs? I saw a Mark Twain book for sale at a used junk store once, and it had a facsimile of his autograph in this particular edition. Seller had written a note in pencil inside: "Signed by author?"

18. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Scotian, someone must have "squealed" on you. Generally, eBay will pull promos, illegal recordings, etc if someone complains.

mud-

19. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I have an unopened Japanese version. Minimum bid $100,000????

mud-

20. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I must be the only person on Ebay that gets squealed on then, cause I also had a Nine Inch Nails bootleg auction cancelled as well & there is an absolute TON of bootlegs on there.

21. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

"Imports" and "unique" items. That's ebay lingo for bootlegs, outtakes, and NFS promos.

22. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Well that opening bid that hasn't met reserve has cost the seller $675 - Lynette could get a bit of a surprise when the bill arrives from eBay.

&ru

23. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Is that true? If an item dose not sell because reserve has not been reached
    are the charges for the highest bid charged, or is the $675 just the cost of admission for running such a high opening bid?

24. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I have never sold myself - but I read the UK eBay charge rate and it mentions highest bid where reserve price auctions are concerned rather than sales price so I have assumed that this would be the cost of admission - it even makes some sense from eBays perspective.

&ru

25. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I just looked this up on ebay in the US and what I see is a $3.50 insertion fee for items $200 and up and then to put a reserve on is only $2.00 for items over $200. He is only charged the reserve fee if the item dosent sell. so it looks like he is only out $5.50 as long as the reserve is not met.

I think the whole thing is just a ploy to get another set sold at a higher price by pointing at this one.

I really cant believe what some sellers do on ebay it just dosent make since. When I was selling some mofi stuff I allways started at $9.99 because the insertion fee was only 30 cents. I never put a reserve on anything because everything was going so high anyway. I only lost money on a couple of auctions and then it was only a buck or two at the most. I see the point in a reserve fee if there is a good chance you wont sell but otherwise it seems to turn most people off. Ive seen bidding on things with reserves on them stop far under what the same item sells for with no reserve!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.