Beatles Cover Bands-Who's Your Favorite?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

THE MEETLES.........
    The strangest mish-mash of a group you have ever seen, but they really get the crowd going, what amazes me though is the fact that every person in the crowd, of any age, knows the words to every Beatles song, (though admittedly there not many words to this song).

skydropco likes this.
  2. slinkyfarm

slinkyfarm Forum Resident

The Beatle Brothers, from Chicago. They don't do the suits, but they're a great band and they've been at it since the '80s. Phil Angotti and Casey McDonough are now also full-time members of Material Issue and NRBQ, respectively.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Check out Beatles Revival Band from Croatia - this was from their last years' concert, celebrating 50th anniversary of SPLHCB...

4. Ricky Minerva

Ricky Minerva Forum Resident

always been a little partial to the ...1964 - The tribute...especially since they have video clips of them perfoming beatles songs that the beatles never had a film clip for... anyway here's a regular one

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Badfinger

Rhett and BrentB like this.
  6. I saw them doing the White Album a few years ago, they're very good indeed.

Yovra likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

LOL...funny.

8. Michael

they're quite good! my friends Jimmy & Jerry Vivino are in the band...

nosticker likes this.
  9. Michael

wonderful!

10. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I was talking with someone just a couple weeks ago about Beatles tributes, I have been to a good number of these shows in recent years.

I just got a chance to see the Fab Four after a very long time of missing their shows. I had their Christmas versions of Beatles tunes back several years back when they were first released on two budget CDs packaged in a slipcase. They absolutely nailed the nuances of the Beatles' original recordings on those songs, and they come pretty close live. In the show I saw recently, the Pepper era tracks suffered a bit. "Strawberry Fields" felt a little labored, but they had a bit of fun by having "Paul" go up to the drum kit during the outro to assist "Ringo" in getting that really heavy drum sound. I think they I will say at an average distance from the stage, the Fab Four look a lot like the real thing, and they also have the voices and banter down. A lot of people overdo the accent and make really uninspired jokes, the Fab Four actually felt witty in the spirit of the Beatles.

I had to miss the Fab Faux about a month ago, I've seen them twice and would recommend their show. I didn't think they nailed all the parts as well as their reputation would indicate, but they more than make up for it with enthusiasm and talent that's not restrained by having to wear costumes and imitate mannerisms. The first time I saw them, they were doing the full "Rubber Soul" LP, and I think they did a fantastic job with "You Won't See Me," which has some interesting instrumental and vocal flourishes.

1964 The Tribute is one of those bands that goes a bit too far with the schtick, in my opinion. They only do songs up through 1966, so if "Touring Years" Beatles is your thing, they're worth a look. They also try some things other groups don't, such as a George-Ringo medley. When I saw them last year, the show felt over-rehearsed, it lacked some spark and spontaneity.

I've seen the "Broadway" tours, Rain and Let It Be as well. Very solid and professional shows, if almost identical in some respects. Let it Be distinguished themselves by doing a fantasy reunion as their second act, adding some solo cuts to the show. I think they could have done a little more with that part of the show, they only scraped the surface, really.

About two years ago, I also caught The McCartney Years tribute, which I was excited about because they advertise a show like the "Wings Over America" era, which I grew up with from many viewings of "Rockshow" on VHS. They had a solid, high-energy show, but I was really amazed how quiet the audience was until they played some Beatles songs. For a Paul McCartney tribute, I thought they leaned a bit too heavily on Beatles tracks, but since the audience obviously preferred that, I can't fault them for going that direction.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

Damn, you beat me to it!!! LOL!!

stepeanut likes this.
  12. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

I liked rain a lot. Seen them multiple times. Also saw Let it Be in London in addition to Fab Four and 1964 The tribute.

13. mysalamander

mysalamander Well-Known Member

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

I have checked out some of their You Tube videos and they are absolutely amazing. They need to come over here to the colonies...

Hep Alien and drum_cas like this.
  15. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Beatallica.

PaulJay likes this.
  16. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Fab Faux, The Smithereens

17. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

The Residents

18. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

The Rutles.

Hep Alien, keefer1970 and drum_cas like this.
  19. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"Yellow Submarine Sandwich" was a game changer. :p

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I have seen "Rain" twice and enjoyed both gigs. The first time, "John" threw my kid a pick and said "There ya go lad" or something like that. Very nice. The second time, "Paul" cracked everyone up during the acoustic session by talking about how we the audience made the country work (we were in DC) - "These are the people who run things, John!" with "John" sneering the whole time.

I saw the "Mersey Beatles" and they were fun.

We have a local one named "Goodfellas" who dress like Mafiosos, but do Beatles songs. They are a lot of fun. They do some really, really obscure stuff- Cry for a Shadow and Mr Moonlight being two.

I would have to say that "1964: The Tribute" was the closest to the real thing in terms of sounding almost exactly like them.

"Rain" is probably my favorite as I like the costume changes and light show. Both they and the Mersey Beatles employ a keyboard player to fill out the later sounds. Makes one wonder why the Beatles themselves did not think they could perform a lot of it live.

Hep Alien and Mike McMann like this.
  21. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

The problem I have with them is they seem to be too soft, they don't rock the songs hard like the Beatles did?

22. mysalamander

mysalamander Well-Known Member

Try out these songs from Apple Jam’s next record, a collection of White Album era songs, composed but never released by the Beatles. The first 5 songs released are: “India, India”, “Goodbye”, “Circles”, “Suicide” and “The Rishi Kesh Song”. Here's the playlist: INDIA, INDIA (John Lennon) performed by Apple Jam - sample

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

Seeing (and hearing) is believing!

24. SuddenSam

SuddenSam Forum Resident

For my money, it was Beatlejuice when it was fronted by the late, great Brad Delp (of Boston fame). Brad handled almost all the lead vocals - whether originally sung by John, Paul or George -and managed to sound like each of them.

The band still performs across New England and while the instrumentation and arrangements are still spot-on, the vocals aren’t of the same quality.

25. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

They are currently touring the White Album, track for track, note for note, complete with saxes, recorders, violins, mellotrons and tape-loops....it's a small miracle seeing the album coming alive to you on stage. I know they're not Beatlejuice or a supergroup lookalikes...but man they come VERY close every now and then!

Hep Alien and julotto like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.