Beatles deluxe "sessions" box sets: will such a thing ever be released?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sgtmono, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member Thread Starter

I have imagined, and I know many others here have as well, something along the lines of a super-deluxe, immersion-style box set corresponding to each original Beatles album, following the template of the awesome "Pet Sounds Sessions" box.

All the original mixes, stereo/5.1 remix, all available outtakes, vocals-only mixes, instrumental mixes, raw 4-tracks, session documents, the works! Package them in a 12 x 12 box with the full size original artwork, and I'm sure most of us would shell out top dollar.

Do you think Apple/Universal is considering these? Already planning them? Releasing them in the next few decades, if ever?

Speculate away!

let him run... likes this.
  2. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

3. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I'd pin more hope on Brian Wilson remembering all the missing Smile lead vocals and lyrics and what his intentions for The Elements were.
    That's far more likely than hearing Paul's 1962 Cavern reel, Leave My Kitten Alone session tape and the complete Revolver multitracks at this stage.

jricc and guy incognito like this.
  4. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Cold day in hell before you see something like this. For what its worth Purple Chick released sets for each album somewhat along these lines.

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

They should, I would buy

shepherdfan and let him run... like this.
  6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Never going to happen, even though post-CD we finally have the format (either blu-ray audio or a web-based app) to present this material in an intriguing, logical, and educational way.

Someday you'll be able to pull up a song like, say "Mr. Kite," listen to the outtakes, play with the multitracks, and listen to all available mono/stereo/5.1 mixes and remixes, read quotes/interviews/etc about the song, all via an iPad app, and really immerse yourself in a particular album or song.

However, it'll be years before the Beatles would sign off on something like this. But someone will do something like this, trust me. And it will be fantastic. We just have to get the industry to look past those damn CD's...

Bewaremylove and sgtmono like this.
  7. sgtmono

We do know (from more than one report) that the entire catalog has been remixed. So I don't think something like this is that far-fetched. It may not happen for every album, but the big ones like Pepper or the White Album could get some sort of deluxe treatment.

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Collecting the UK originals, the 87 CDs, the 80's Capitol vinyl, the '82 releases, the stereo CDs, the mono CDs, the stereo vinyl and now the mono vinyl aren't enough to keep you busy? You have to "imagine" other releases? C'mon...

e.s. likes this.
  9. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Such super deluxe sets would be a good time to bring out remastered AAA stereo vinyl.

Mr. H and groovelocked like this.
  10. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

In fairness, all of the releases you listed are different versions of the same thing (just with different packaging or mastering). What the OP is talking about is getting different recordings...such as early takes, outtakes, alternate versions, etc...stuff that was not previously available (except for some of the recordings presented on the Anthology discs).

905 and bluemooze like this.
  11. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

We're already seeing deluxe box sets for other artist's albums (not to mention deluxe box sets for McCartney's solo albums)...so I don't think it's unreasonable that someday we'll see a deluxe treatment for each Beatles album. After all, it's hard to envision many other albums out there that have as much commercial potential. They might not fully open up the vaults so we can hear everything, but there is a lot of room to provide key demos, outtakes, and alternate versions of each song. It probably won't happen in the near future, but I think something will happen eventually.

I remember hearing people (in other forums) once say that they will never release the mono recordings. Not only have they released them on CD, but they have now reissued them on AAA vinyl. Honestly, who saw that coming?

sgtmono likes this.
  12. A box of every scrap recorded during the Get Back sessions? Apple would never approve such a thing in our lifetimes!

13. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

I'd be happy with just a "Strawberry Fields Forever" immersion-type set.

DmitriKaramazov, SammyJoe and Chris M like this.
  14. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

By the time Anthology FINALLY came out, *those* guys beat the pants off them for what was already out underground. The Anthology volumes had some nice stuff, but lets be honest, it just scratched the surface for what was out for decades.

One of the biggest laughs I always had was a conversation I had someone around the time of Anthology Vol. 2 came out. He was gushing they had about 10 minutes of Strawberry Fields. Just shook my head and told him - that's nothing. There's discs out there where the WHOLE thing is SFF. So sad it took the brain-trust at Apple way too long to FINALLY realize we wanted the flubs, mistakes, out takes, alternate versions and live stuff. Yes, we wanted that, instead of the same product constantly recycled with no improvement in quality(until 2009), and some having new cover slicks.

I haven't heard it all, but to say it is tedious ----being way too kind.

ralph7109 likes this.
  15. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Then again, I can think of no better time for Super Deluxe boxes than the 50th anniversary for each album, and we've already missed a few.

16. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Not any time soon - I'd buy a set of REVOLVER, for sure - but it's likely to be done once technology has caught up somehow. I think they're rightly focusing on the vinyl, which could be the last gasp for the baby boomers who grew up with it. They picked the right time to do it, what with the 'vinyl revival' being promoted by the media. We've had Blu-Ray video releases of everything except 'Let It Be' and we all know why that is - not their finest hour. I'm sure someone has put forward releasing only the Rooftop concert, as it's so iconic. But who wants to see Paul and George fighting in glorious HD?

17. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I think when they release the remixes, we will see super deluxe versions. Remember, the catalog is in new hands now.

18. misko

misko Forum Resident

As usual , the bootleggers are way ahead of the curve. Thus far one label has released 3 beautiful cd/dvd sets celebrating the 50th anniversary of The Beatles first 3 LPs. New mixes exclusive to each title along with the official mono/stereo versions. They include all studio outtake material available, live tracks from the BBC and plenty of film and videos pertaining to the music of each album. There is also cd/dvd sets attributed to each of The Beatles tours. Beautiful stuff. Its a shame official releases like these are not available.

19. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I vote yes. With Universal steering the catalog it's hard to imagine they wouldn't exploit it in this way. Seriously, at this point. what purpose is there in holding it back-who cares? The people who would buy it would already have most of it anyway, yet would still buy it. (Guilty as charged).

20. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I hope not. The Beatles albums were, with possibly a single exception, works of art that shouldn't be diluted by a bunch of extra material.

I'd rather see a Beatles Bootleg Series.

MarkO likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

not legally...ever.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the boots covering this are pretty good...

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  23. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

That'd be great. How about a bonus feature of John shooting up and dissing all of George's songs and playing them really badly if he can even be bothered to play anything at all....mind you they'd have to just present edited highlights if they wanted to fit all of that on a Blu-ray.

On a more serious note, if they're not gonna touch the interesting out-takes (plus decent mixes of Leave My Kitten Alone and re-doing all the dreadful "Sessions" mixes used on Anthology etc. ), the single thing i'd most like to hear is a super deluxe Revolver. If done properly that would stand shoulder to shoulder with your Basement Tapes box, Smile Sessions etc...easily their finest group work when combined with the Paperback Writer/Rain single.
    I read recently that Dylan's Blonde on Blonde will be getting the treatment relatively soon or is at least in the works. Maybe that'll spur the Fabs on although i expect they'd be more likely to super deluxe Pepper or Abbey Road which would be a shame (in comparison to what else they could do).
    Revolver just doesn't seem to have the appreciation it deserves from the board members who ultimately decide/veto what does and doesn't get released which is somewhat surprising especially from Paul's point of view as he's at an absolute peak on that album. That's sure to get the veto from Olivia and Yoko then.
    The look of pride on their faces when the Tomorrow Never Knows multitrack was played in the Anthology bonus is one of my fave Fab moments. They look like they're about to trip out and have a group flashback.
    Will it happen ? I'll let you know after i've finished watching The Magnificent Ambersons Directors Cut blu-ray.

24. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

Ever is a long time...so probably.

25. sgtmono

But of course the bootleggers don't have access to the actual vaults and first generation tapes, and the multis. There's only so much they can release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.