Beatles Downloads - Another clue for you all?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gibtti, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gibtti

gibtti Forum Resident Thread Starter

http://www.wippit.com/pressreleases.aspx

UK music download site wippit has an interesting press release on their website. Dated 14th March it is headed 'The Beatles available for download on Wippit'.

Unfortunately the link goes to a blank page and from the resultant BBC news article, EMI are none too happy about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6441979.stm

A hoax or an unintentional slip up before the 'BIG' announcement on Wednesday?

You decide!

Chris

2. alanb

alanb Senior Member

no smoke without fire ..

3. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I say June will come and go without any remasters. Downloads or otherwise.

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

No official announcement, no downloads or remastered CD's for the foreseeable future. MAN, EMI is really dragging their colective butts on this!

Evan

5. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I am with you on that one, why release more cd's when the current ones still sell, we may get a special edition Sgt. Pepper sometime but i don't think they will overhaul the whole catalogue when from a business perspective it isn't needed :shake:

6. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I think it might happen. The Capitol boxes weren't given release dates till about a month before they hit the shelves.

7. Maidenpriest

Just out of interest what other information was available about the capitol box sets at that time? was their adverts but no date? did anyone from capitol publicise the work in progress etc, all we have about these remasters is hints from Aspinal??

8. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Why do you say that? EMI would have had The Beatles online a long time ago if they could have. Apple (Corps) is calling the shots here.

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

My faux pas....APPLE it is!

Evan

10. reechie

reechie Senior Member

In that case, you're quite right. :agree:

11. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

That's a great question actually. As usual, there was very little advanced notice given then. If you search the threads from the Capitol Years, one thing that seemed to bother many was that Capitol didn't make an official announcement until 4 or 5 weeks before release. WHY, should Apple, EMI or Capitol announce anything months in advance :confused: It doesn't help sales or push more product. And if the release date gets changed, all it does is cause ill-will with fans. There's no reason to suspect any long-term delay is happening with the remasters being unveiled either. Most of the early buzz was rumour, and yea, it was expected that the downloads would be available by now... but so what, they'll be out soon enough. Ron

12. Maidenpriest

:righton:

Take away all our wants and wishes from a musical/mastering perspective does it make good business sense to repackage them with a total overhaul when the average record buyer doesn't care? The current cd's still sell well so from a business perspective does it make sense to remaster them???
    (i to do want them remastered!!:D )

13. peter

peter Senior Member

For sure.

14. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

wouldn't the band and those who worked on the albums want the best possible sound for future generations to enjoy? i think thats a good motivation.

15. Maidenpriest

I hope so and i hope these people are making the business decisions, which unfortunatly does not happen very often these days?

16. brainwashed

It does because they just spent 18 months remastering the catalog. And if the older masters still sell (which they surely do), then it's highly probable that the new batch will sell even more. The hope of course is to sell a rather large quantity (which it probably will do) quickly. Instead of selling a couple of million copies of the back catalogue total for the year, Apple and EMI will be looking to sell 10-15 million units, or more. It makes sense to remaster on many levels. Ron

17. brainwashed

Peter, what makes you think this? Because nothing official has been announced 4 months in advance of this date? Just wondering, Ron

18. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

Was Paul the walrus?

19. goldenoldie

goldenoldie Forum Resident

20. Maidenpriest

What Beatle re-issue? until a reissue is fact, their is no re-issue:sigh:

21. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Seems like it would still make business sense. The current versions still sell, but they would get a fairly high amount of current owners buying again. Plus, if the rumors are true, no remixing (5.1 or otherwise) has been done. That would cost them a hell of a lot more than what they're expected to release. Remastering a catalog is relatively inexpensive for a company that already has their own "in-house" mastering facilities. Throw on top of that the fact that, apparently, Beatles product seems to sell so easily as of late, that they wouldn't have to spend much on promotion either...

22. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Perhaps they can send Ringo over to Paul's house to ask him to hold off on releasing his new solo album?

23. Surfin Jesus

Surfin Jesus New Member

:winkgrin: deja vu

24. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

IMHO, the only Beatles-related re-issues I usually see around are the threads talking about the upcoming re issues. :D

25. Maidenpriest

:D Classic!!
    (for anyone not in the know, this is what happened for 'Let It Be':righton: )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.