Beatles Downloads - Another clue for you all?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gibtti, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

You can say that again, Ron.
    It should be made public somehow...someday...someway.
    The amazing fact that it even was recorded at all adds to the pile of evidence that God himself is a Beatles fan.

Peace Love and Let there be Beatles
    Marky

2. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I believe he is.

"In September 1994, a tape recording of John Lennon singing and playing the guitar with the Quarry Men at the fête was bought by EMI Records for £78,500 at the annual sale."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/428716.stm

3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Hey Ron :wave:

The glitch had been fixed and was in the shops by 1989.

I've not heard of these before - what are the details?

4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Either that, or else, hmmm, who could it be, hmmm, yes, er, could it be perhaps

<crank up the Phil-Spector, Church Lady reverb>

S A T A N ?

(where's Dana Carvey when we need him? ;)

5. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

C'mon, now. Everybody knows Satan's a Stones fan.

6. gibtti

gibtti Senior Member Thread Starter

Mal,

I think Ron's talking about the track indexing which wasn't quite right on a few of the songs, noteably tagging the mellotron spanish guitar intro of Bungalow Bill onto the end of Wild Honey Pie and the intro of Don't Pass Me By onto the end of Rocky Raccoon.:shake:

Chris

7. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Ah, but that's what he wants you to think. ;)

8. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Indeed so. I'm not so sure that the glitch on Happiness... was fixed in 1989 either. I thought that some pressings continued having this problem long after that, while others did not? It was quite awhile back when we discussed this, so I might be forgetting the details. Either way, little was done to warrant a 30th Anniversary release, other than the new jewel box and the few repairs. Ron

9. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

I bought a brand new Canadian pressing at HMV in Montreal in May of 1997, and that came with the 'blip' on HIAWG. Of course, the fact that I bought it in '97 doesn't mean it was pressed that late; yet I'd very much doubt it could have been a pre-89 pressing; most likely post-89. So I think it's reasonable to assume that at least some pressings still had the problem in the '90s.

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Did you mean to post in this thread?

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=109608

11. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

It's official. Check this space tomorrow for Steve Jobs' announcement...

Jeff

12. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Well, actually, he rather prefers Tiny Tim... :agree:

13. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Did you see this yet?:

[from http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=2475069#post2475069]:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apple/EMI in deal, but Beatles not included
    By Eric Auchard

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Inc. and music label EMI Group plan to announce "an exciting new digital offering," EMI said on Sunday, renewing speculation of a deal to put the Beatles music catalog online.

However, a source familiar with the situation said a Beatles deal would not be featured at the event on Monday.

"There is no Beatles' announcement," the source said.

EMI said that it plans to hold a news conference on Monday at its London headquarters, where EMI Chief Executive Eric Nicoli will be joined by Apple Chief Executive and co-founder Steve Jobs, the company said in an e-mail to reporters.

A live Webcast of the event, which will feature "a special live performance," will be available at http://www.emigroup.com beginning at 1 p.m. local time in London (8 a.m. EDT). (1200 GMT).

JupiterResearch analyst Michael Gartenberg said a tie-up between Apple and EMI could cover a range of issues, but that a Beatles distribution pact was not likely part of the deal.

"While the Beatles are the obvious choice, the invitation does mention a 'special live performance' and it is clear that that live performance does not cover the Beatles," Gartenberg said. "There are a lot of other possibilities."

Currently, no Beatles songs can be downloaded via online music services. EMI has acted as the distributor for the Beatles since the early 1960s.

The news event follows the settlement in February of a long-running trademark dispute between Apple Inc. and the Beatles' company, Apple Corps Ltd. This cleared a hurdle for selling the songs of the Fab Four, which have been a high-profile holdout from Internet music services like iTunes.

At the high-profile launch of the Apple iPhone in January, Steve Jobs raised hopes that the band could be about to go digital when it played one of their songs and used a Beatles' album cover to grace a giant on-stage screen behind him.

Beyond any potential deal with EMI involving the Beatles, Apple and EMI could be working on a means for eliminating restrictions that prevent unauthorized duplication of digital music.

Earlier this year, Jobs called on the world's four major record companies, including EMI, to start selling songs online without copy protection software to thwart piracy known as digital rights management.

Jobs said there appeared to be no benefit for the record companies in continuing to sell more than 90 percent of their music without DRM on compact discs, while selling the remaining small percentage of music online encumbered with a DRM system.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

14. GMav

GMav Senior Member

Ron,

Thanks for the correction. While, apparently, PART of the performance has been "recorded".....it has never been "offiically" released. Maybe, whoever owns the recording is waiting until July of 2007, to release a 50th anniversay of the event. I personally doubt it, and will not hold my breath. Like I said, a 40th anniversay Pepper seems much more feasable, seeing as it was originally recorded AND released in June 1967. It has an importance in Beatle history because it does indeed exist for the masses......:righton: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.