Beatles Duophonic Mixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsfang2, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Duophonic I Want To Hold Your Hand is the definitive version to me. Just love the extra electicity it brings to the sound of tha tune. And I grew up listening to it on a mono player.

2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I've never collapsed a duophonic to mono. Sounds like a fun project for experimentation purposes.

Harry

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Harry, I would advise against it. After all, you'll never get back the five minutes wasted on doing that. Better to spend it doing something (anything) else! :)

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  4. HGN2001

Yes, but if I have FUN doing it, then it's not a waste! (But thanks for the sage advice!)

Harry

5. HGN2001

Well, it did take about five minutes...

I picked "She Loves You" from Capitol Albums Vol. 1, and used Audacity to combine the two channels. The resulting recording sounded like a mushy, phasey mess.

But, I DID have fun doing it.

Harry

Abbagold likes this.
  6. milk731

milk731 Forum Resident

Is there a complete list of all the songs that were released in America that differ from their UK counterparts?

By all songs I mean the duophonic ones being discussed here as well as the fake stereo, and the mixes that were altered by Dave Dexter.

If there's a website that lists them all I'd be plenty happy to have a link.

Thanks.

7. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/beatles/

http://heroinc.fortunecity.com/btls/btls2.htm

turnersmemo likes this.
  8. milk731

milk731 Forum Resident

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Love the Beatledrops of the duophonic Y&T - makes me feel like a little kid all over again

10. zen

zen Senior Member

I heard this last night for the first time (from my recent Capital vol. 2 purchase) and was enthralled by it.

But was it duophonic or fake stereo?

11. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Fake stereo. IMO, the rechanneling was done by EMI in the U.K. and the tape sent to Capitol.

12. zen

zen Senior Member

The "fake stereo" was the impression I got. Thanks for the info too.

13. Steve Hoffman

Wait, what? Who said?

14. empirelvr

I prefaced it with IMO...In my opinion. It wasn't meant as a definitive statement of fact. Sorry for the confusion. :)

15. Steve Hoffman

EMI had the four-track. They wouldn't have spent tw0 hours making fake stereo for the USA they would have done a stereo mix of the song for the USA in the same amount of time. No one asked them to.

16. gibtti

gibtti Senior Member

All this discussion about what's fake stereo and what's 'duophonic' kills me.
    No matter how you do it, fake stereo = fake stereo, even if Capitol decided to call their way of doing it something else.

Chris

17. zen

zen Senior Member

Thanks for the info.

18. empirelvr

Supposedly, according to Lewishon's book, a stereo mix was made in 1965, but it was flawed with a drop out near the end and was never used. I can see EMI making a quick fake stereo version instead of a true stereo remix, especially if there was a deadline to send tapes to Capitol ASAP. Four hours making a new stereo mix versus one to two for a fake one...it might have made sense back then.

19. Steve Hoffman

Four hours? You mean 40 minutes.

There is no documentation at Capitol that a stereo version was ever requested. They had the mono tape already and just did it themselves (or so I was told by someone who was there.) Why weren't the channels split delayed? Who knows? It sounds like **** anyway.

PhoffiFozz and rxcory like this.
  20. zen

zen Senior Member

:mudscrying::thumbsup:

21. empirelvr

Truer words....

22. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Same deal with "Voice Of The Xtaby".
    I found a green label SM pressing which I thought was in mono, played it with the mono button pressed on the pre-amp and heard that phone booth sound. Then I pressed the button to find out that it was a Duophonic LP...yuk!

23. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I avoid Duophonic.

24. shoshani

shoshani Fixing A Hole Where The Rain Gets In

I found a Duophonic promo record from the dawn of...Duophonicdom, on YouTube. The aural illusion is probably far more impressive on orchestral and big band music than it is on folk, pop, or rock.

I suspect that phase shifting was also introduced to accomplish some of the effect, along with the comb filtering. Maybe it worked better with a more complex signal of harmonics and frequencies?

Joel1963 and JamesD1957 like this.
  25. shoshani

shoshani Fixing A Hole Where The Rain Gets In

Ack. I give up. I can't get the YouTube link to show up as a LINK, with the bbcode URL tag or anything. How do I get it not to embed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.