Beatles Gear: The Ultimate Edition --> my book review

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DrBeatle, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist Thread Starter

The Rock and Roll Chemist: BOOK REVIEW: Beatles Gear: The Ultimate Edition

What a great, fun book to read and look through. As someone who loves to play these instruments (I love my Rickenbacker and Vox!) and who was as captivated by the Beatles instruments as I was their music from the very first time I saw/heard them, this book was a real treat.

Who here has read it? Thoughts?

2. DrBeatle

*bump*

I know the book has been mentioned on here before, surprised no one else wants to chat about it :D

3. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

I do not own the "Ultimate Edition" but the standard edition is a treasure trove of information on all of The Beatles gear. Do you know what is added with the "Ultimate Edition"?

4. DrBeatle

From what I can tell, it's updated with new information including several "missing" instruments. For instance, John and George's Gibson J-160E's from 1962 (who played which one, where John's ended up, etc). Lots of great new info on that, Ringo's drum kits, and other stuff as well. Do the earlier editions discuss the gold-plated Hofner bass or what happened to George's "Lucy" after it was stole?

somnar, longdist01 and oboogie like this.
  5. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

Thanks... I will be adding it to my Amazon cart.

ConnieGuitar and DrBeatle like this.
  6. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I have the second, revised and updated edition of the book but not the newer “ultimate edition.” Not yet, anyway. The author is a good writer and does an excellent job explaining the differences in certain instruments. You don’t have to be a musician to understand the nuances. Also, the photographs are gorgeous and the book’s layout is attractive, inviting and very easy to navigate. Great book.

longdist01 and DrBeatle like this.
  7. DrBeatle

You definitely won't be disappointed.

I agree, it's definitely a great looking book and easy to read. I find that the Beatles are one of the few bands where even non-musicians are interested in their instruments, even if it's just how they look. They've all become so iconic and intertwined with each Beatle that it's actually fairly remarkable. Off the top of my head, the only other comparable artist who is so readily identified with an instrument, even by the non-musical public, would be Hendrix and the Stratocaster.

oboogie likes this.
  8. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Instant reaction: "Crap, I'm going to have to buy a new edition of this?" I had no idea he'd updated it. Think I have an early 2000s edition...

Cassius, forthlin, oboogie and 2 others like this.
  9. DrBeatle

Yeah, it came out about 2 years ago (tail end of 2015/beginning of 2016). Well worth it! I had checked out an earlier edition from the library ages ago and loved it, but this one I went ahead and bought.

10. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I have the 2 previous editions. Unless it's double the thickness, I'm out. Enough already.

Dan

11. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

If Yoko decides to sell the Ed Sullivan 1958 Rickenbacker 325 (for charity, presumably), will it break the auction record?

For you Beatles nuts, it would be like a fragment of the True Cross.

12. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I think the Hofner is the most valuable but the 325 with the Bigsby would be my first choice of a Beatle guitar.

Atmospheric and DrBeatle like this.
  13. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I have it and have proper read about half of it. Skimmed much of the rest (hard to finish books around here, always another coming over the horizon). Very enjoyable and recommended to anyone who loves the Beatles. I always keep it out on the coffee table so folks who come over can have a look see.

DrBeatle likes this.
  14. DrBeatle

It's about 450 pages. How big were the earlier editions?

Have you ever played a 325? I have and I couldn't believe how small it was and how short the scale was. I'm 6'5" with huge hands and it felt like a toy to me. I love my Rickenbacker 360 though...my favorite guitar that I've ever owned.

15. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I would only want it just to have it, probably would rarely play it.

DrBeatle likes this.
  16. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Actually, I think it is. :)
    Not only double the thickness, it's larger size too.
    It is a must!

Ondra

DrBeatle likes this.
  17. DrBeatle

It's funny that John held on to those guitars because I remember reading an interview with him from the 1970s where someone asked him about his 325 and he said it sounded, and I quote this verbatim, "like caca." :laugh:

It's neat in this book that the author managed to track down photos from the guy who did some work on and repainted John's original 325 in the 1970s in NYC. There's even a photo of the guitar in the shop as it was being worked on...very cool.

18. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Wonderful book! The author has done a great job on this update. If you only have a previous edition, this is a must buy. Also check out the author’s amazing book on The Rolling Stones Gear.

19. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

Agree. It's a great book, and while I don't have my original version anymore, but the updated version is much bigger. A lot of extra information. Totally worth it!

musicfan37, Onder and DrBeatle like this.
  20. DrBeatle

That is on my list of books to get next!

musicfan37 likes this.
  21. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

Also, the many aspiring guitarists who discovered that a Gibson SG wasn't anywhere as big as they assumed from seeing it in front of Angus Young.

nikh33, edenofflowers and DrBeatle like this.
  22. DrBeatle

:laugh: That's true. I used to have an SG, great guitar. Also, my Les Paul never felt heavy but I can see how a toothpick like Jimmy Page would say that.

ribonucleic likes this.
  23. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

You got that right - the 325 is a toy. I have two Rickenbackers. I'd say they are my favorite guitars I've ever owned... until I have to play them. I think they are way overpriced and overrated. If it weren't for The Beatles, they'd probably be out of business. I have a 350v63 Liverpool which is basically a full sized version of the 325 but (thankfully) without a tremelo. Does it look cool? Absolutely. It has the vintage toaster top pickups too. But honestly, it sucks. I play lead guitar, and it's lousy for lead. I'm a fan of Jimmy Page, Peter Green, Alex Lifeson, Billy Gibbons, Clarence White, Ritchie Blackmore, Angus Young, Eddie Van Halen, Dickey Betts, Duane Allman, Terry Kath - you can't play those styles on a Rickenbacker. It's good for playing rhythm - Beatles rhythm. It also doesn't have a master volume which is annoying. So why did I get it? My girlfriend paid for it as a gift and a collectors item (mine is a Blue Boy, Color of the Year 2004). The little kid in me that loves the look of this guitar wanted it. The adult in me that knows it's garbage wants to sell it, but I know it'll be worth something so I'll keep it for now. I'd rather play a Chinese Fender knockoff that costs $100 than any Rickenbacker 6 string and I'll challenge anyone who thinks I'm wrong in person. But I get it. The people that are Lennon wannabes strum along on their Ricks and keep things simple. For that it's perfect. I always wondered why basically no one in blues, country, hard rock, metal, or jazz play one. Not hard to figure out.

The other Rick I have that IS somewhat special to me (and one I would keep) is a head turning 660/12 (also Blue Boy). The 660/12 is the 12 string that most Rick 360/12 owners wish they had but don't know about it until it's too late. For one, it's got the vintage toaster pickups (not the hi-gains of the 360). My friend has a 360/12 and we compared the two with the same amp and settings back to back. The 660/12 outshone the 360/12 in every way. It had chime, clarity and punch. The 360 was dull by comparison. The 660 has that cool checkerboard binding on the body (like the 381v69). The 660 has a 12 saddle bridge (the 360 does not). The 660/12 is considered vintage specs and comes with a vintage silver wood case. And most importantly - the 660 has a much wider neck making chords a breeze to play. All 360 owners gasp when they feel the neck of a 660 and then get mad that their neck is so narrow. I wanted to get a 360/12 but when I tried one out at the store, it was too narrow for me. I asked if there were any other Rick 12 strings that had a wide neck. They said there was only one model that did and good luck finding one. I checked all over the US for one. Finally one popped up on eBay, but it was in the Blue Boy color with gold pickguard and truss rod cover. I took a chance and was so glad I did once I opened the case. Gorgeous! One thing for sure whether you have a 360/12 or 660/12 both have that sound from the 60's that we want and is why I bought one. But again, pain the ass to tune, pain in the ass to string, pain the ass to have to adjust the truss rods compared to any other 12 string out there. I love playing Beatles and Byrds tunes on it live when I'm in the mood to deal with it. And don't forget the compressor!

I also have the newest version of The Beatles Gear book. Absolutely essential.

notesfrom, entropyfan, eeglug and 2 others like this.
  24. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

My edition has 256 pages (ISBN 0-87930-662-9).

25. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

My Les Paul is just about right to me as well (you're a big guy, though I'm close at 6'2"). I have two Telecasters with Parsons/Green B-benders that are heavier than the Les Paul and although I don't mind that much, it can be a bit much if playing a long gig.

DrBeatle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.