"Beatles' Greatest" Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by srigby, Aug 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srigby

srigby Active Member Thread Starter

Beatles' Question

I have a Beatles' LP called "The Beatles' Greatest". The songs are listed in English but the rest of the writing on the album looks like it is German. The label is EMI Odeon. Does anyone know when this album was released?

Thanks
    Scott

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

1970 wasn't it?

Does your copy have the "High-Hat" countdown to "All My Loving" on it?

3. srigby

Yes, There is a High Hat countdown to "All My Loving"

Scott

4. Steve Hoffman

An earlier cutting. Should sound neat.

5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I also have that Beatles album...LOVE that Hi-Hat intro version of "All My Loving"!!!

6. Steve Hoffman

First time I heard it I flipped.

Now when I DON'T hear it, it sounds wrong!

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Interesting to me how the sound is better on the ttttt hi-hat intro compared to the rest of the song. Sounds like all their little "thingies" like the limiter weren't turned on yet or they really didn't affect the sound much in that intro since they didn't start playing with much force until the song actually starts. The tonality seems a little different in the intro too, sounding as if there is little or no EQ in that introduction. Limiter splatter on the drum overhead mic signal on the rest of the song compared to the intro too Steve?

BTW - My only copy of this is the rather convincing looking as real product (but actually isn't) boot "Collector's Items" LP (especially with the PRO prefix catalog # - I have 9463, the more common, less valuable version). I was kind of surprised when I found out that it wasn't an official product, though even before I found this out, I thought the record itself didn't look quite like a normal Capitol LP from the late 70's.

8. Steve Hoffman

Nothing to kick the limiter into splatter mode until the bass and the guitars come in. Then it's every instrument for himself! :p

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Ah, so it's not just the drum mic put through the splattery mono limiter on this one Steve? I thought it might have been since the hi-hat "All My Loving" is in twin-track stereo and would have been mixed (well at least dubbed with limiting, EQ, etc.) down to the stereo "master" with the kinder stereo Fairchild limiter.

10. Steve Hoffman

Well, they would have used the mono limiter on the music side and on the vocal side (not as bad) during recording. Then when mixing down to the "Equalised and Limited" production mix, they would have used the Fairchild to keep everything in place.

A lot of limiting going on there. You really can't use a Fairchild for recording. Too tame.

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks Steve.

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Yea, I have a green Odeon label version of this album, complete with hi-hat intro to "All My Loving". I think it sounds great, except they used a fake-stereo version of "I Feel Fine". I guess Odeon didn't have access to the stereo masters of this song at the time.

I thought the album was originally issued in 1965. True?

13. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Re: Beatles' Question

What's the catalogue number of your pressing Scott? Check out the label too - the list below should help. MaxtrixMan is correct, it was first released in Germany in 1965. I own the '69 pressing - great it is too :)

1965 Odeon SMO 83 991
    1966 Odeon SMO 73 991
    1969 Odeon 1C 062-04 207
    1976 Odeon 1C 072-04 207
    1977 Apple 1C 072-04 207
    1981 Odeon 1C 072-04 207

14. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Thanks, Kipper!! I'll have to check out my copy too when I get home from the weekend...

Todd

15. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Thanks for that list I'll have to check mine out too. I was listening to it last night, I had forgotten the way Hard Days Night sounded on it. I really liked that. However that I feel fine jeez. Mine sounded like they were playing in an empty cavern.

16. Steve Hoffman

I LOVE THIS FORUM! I learn "Something New" (Beatles pun) every day.

My copy of "Beatles' Greatest" is indeed the 1969 pressing. I guess this sucker DID come out in 1965. That's why the LP pictures on the bottom of the back cover don't go any later than "Beatles For Sale".

And, that's why "I Feel Fine" is in fake stereo; the true stereo mix hadn't even been done yet I guess.

17. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

According to Lewisohn a stereo mix of "I Feel Fine" was done on Nov 4, 1964. I would imagine that mix is the one on "Greatest". "I Feel Fine" wasn't on a UK LP until "A Collection Of Beatle Oldies" was released in 1966 ( I think). That was the first time it would have been available in stereo in the UK.

Mud-

18. Steve Hoffman

Well, it sure didn't make it to Germany. Their version is Fake.

19. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Or to the US. Our version is really fake.

I guess they let that mix sit for two years until the "Oldies" LP.

Mud-

20. srigby

Thanks for all the info. My version is 1969.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.