Beatles guitar solos by John Lennon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tagomago, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. "Yer Blues" is mentionned here. Are we sure about the SECOND solo being John's? The first chorus definitely sounds like John (minimalist riff), then a second chorus comes in with a different sounding, more searing guitar that I always thought was Harrison's...

2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

You are correct. John's lap steel was a Hofner, by the way.

3. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Both Beatles play solos; you're right. John is first.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  4. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Are we SURE John played the first solo of Long Tall Sally ON THE RECORD? He does on BBC shows and all live dates, no question. But listening to Long Tall sally in stereo, the guitars are panned left and right. Yet the same guitar does both solos. So....?

RobGeurtsen likes this.
  5. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

So no-one cares to explain that one then? Figures.

6. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I think we all just assumed John played the first solo, as he did on every other version they did. I never noticed the guitar panning, which definitely may offer a clue. The first solo sure SOUNDS like John, the second is unquestionably George. I'll give a listen later tonight. Ron

RobGeurtsen likes this.
  7. brainwashed

Uh oh!! I happened to have the stereo Long Tall Sally on my mp3 player here at work... that HAS to be George on lead guitar, for BOTH solos. Nik is right. George's guitar is on the left, John's panned right. The song is a "take 1" with no overdubs. Since the rhythm guitar in the right channel keeps playing during the first solo, it has to be George playing lead. You can tell the left channel is George by the way he 'chords' the riff (he did the same thing on Rock & Roll Music and Kansas City too). John does the typical Chuck Berry blues stomp with his baby finger on the right channel. Nik deserves a big thank you from us all. George Harrison must be playing both solos on Long Tall Sally. Give a listen! Ron

RobGeurtsen likes this.
  8. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

"Go, Johnny, go!"

9. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

This is what has always fascinated me. The first solo CANNOT be Lennon becasue the second solo is clearly by George. So, is George kind of 'impersonating' John? Like Paul /impersonates' John when they sing sometimes?
    I tell ya, the Beatles seem to get more interesting by the day.

Thanks, Ron, but it's just using the ears, that's all.

10. brainwashed

Well I use my ears and offer opinions all the time. But this time, you are spot-on. The solo is by one guitarist because the song is a take one with no overdubs. You can also hear the little lead embellishments only George would play after each verse. The rhythm guitar chugs right along, but THAT guitar doesn't take a solo. It's a good find sir. Ron

11. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

I always thought that was George and still do. I never heard John play single note leads in the style of Carl Perkins. Where do you get your info?

12. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

13. GAW Jr.

GAW Jr. Forum Resident

Long Tall Sally

Thank you posting these versions.

You can clearly see George is playing rhythm barre chords and John is taking the first solo on every live version of Long Tall Sally.

As a hack guitarist myself, too bad none of the camera angels focus directly "in front" on John's fingers during the solos. But, you can obviously see John is taking nice solos from side shots.

Also, you see Ringo rockin' hard.

Great little band.

vonwegen likes this.
  14. GAW Jr.

GAW Jr. Forum Resident

Beatles in Japan - John on (primary) guitar

John carries the guitar parts on George’s “If I Needed Someone” during each Middle 8. The 1966 “Live in Tokyo Budokan” video shows George concentrating on singing, even adjusting the microphone, leaving John as the only guitarist at times (especially notable at 2:16).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kNDmd8Dp4w&feature=related

To my ears, it hard to categorize, but John plays a unique, quickly picked triplet pattern.

Very nice to hear John’s part during this section:
    “Had you come some other day, then
    It might not have been like this
    But you see now I'm too much in love”

PS. prayers for the people of Japan dealing with the horrible quake.

15. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

How about John's leads on his solo album? I'm especially interested in "Mind Games" (David Spinozza) and "Double Fantasy" (Earl Slick).

16. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

It's a real shame that all of John's solos on live versions of "Long Tall Sally" are buried because they always mixed his guitar low (for he was mostly playing rhythm).

17. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

18. tappioha

tappioha Forum Resident

Let it be

Why I am thinking John plays solo in Let it be (LP-version)?
    At least it doesn't sound George's style.

19. George dubbed that LP solo in January 1970 during the last official Beatles recording session on 8-track multichannel as an alternate to the one on the 45...

20. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I know I’m in the minority (or alone), but I think it’s John at the end of You Never Give Me Your Money----the flubs (mixed-out of the released version) are John-like (un-George-like for 1969)----with the moments of inspiration left in.

I will concede that it’s possible that George is doing his best John impression (and then some) on Hey Bulldog.

rangerjohn likes this.
  21. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

What about that solo in "Happiness Is A Warm Gun"? I always figured that was John.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  22. brainwashed

Not the fuzz solo. Definitely George. Substantiated by lewisohn and myself. This happens to be one of the White Album session tapes and masters I've heard at Abbey Road Studios. During the session chat one can clearly hear George adjusted his fuzz setup. Ron

23. brainwashed

According to Lewisohn, John plays the "distorted" electric guitar parts and George the "chiming" electric guitar through a Leslie. John was only on the original backing track recorded 6 May 1969. All the subsequent overdubs and vocals were done in the first week of July 1969 with John unable to attend the session after being hurt in a car accident. All those vocals are Paul and George. Pretty damn impressive. Ron

MortSahlFan likes this.
  24. brainwashed

John plays bass on Let It Be. Well, he did on the original session takes. Paul overdubbed bass almost a year later, 4 Jan 1970. George plays lead guitar on every session take of the song. At first using a leslie'd effect solo (as heard on the 45 and Anthology take, later overdubbing a searing solo at the same Jan 1970 session that was used as the LP version. Ron

25. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

More on LONG TALL SALLY's first guitar solo by John (?)
    At last, I've found a shot of Long Tall Sally FROM THE FRONT! But- it's only mimed, and John gets distracted by a stage invasion immediately the solo starts- but, oh well, it's SOMETHING...(And he's playing his 12 string version too. Don't think I've ever seen him play that!)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.