Beatles guitar solos by John Lennon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tagomago, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

And Jimmy Nicol on drums!

broccolid likes this.
  2. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

It's a madcap haywire day!

3. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

There are two guitars playing that solo- one neat, one sloppy. I reckon George and John are both on there.

rangerjohn likes this.
  4. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Wait a minute, does that mean that the "1 2 3 4 5 6 7, all good children go to heaven" bit is by P&G? That would turn my world upside down.

DLeet likes this.
  5. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes. Those vocals were added on 15 July. This was during that awkward week that John and Yoko were present in the studio after recovering from their auto accident, but John kept to the sidelines. The following day George and Paul added overdubs to Here Comes the Sun, including backing vocals, lead vocals, handclaps and harmonimum. John was in studio, but did not participate. And the day after that Paul and George created the "sea" effects for Octopus's Garden, including the backing vocals. Again, John was in studio, but did not join in. It wasn't until the following Monday, 21 July, that John returned to form and the first song tackled was Come Together. Ron

vonwegen likes this.
  6. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Cool, you always learn something new about the Beatles. Mind duely blown.

JazzPolice likes this.
  7. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Not so sure about that! I definitely hear John on the '1 2 3 4 5 6 7, all good children go to heaven' bit.

8. And Jimmy Nicol on Drums.

9. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

John is listed on guitar and vocals at Beatles Bible and wikipedia for "You Never Give Mew Your Money", I think that would include that part.

rangerjohn and Nick Dunning like this.
  10. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Ron (can I call you Ron?:)), I don't think I've ever read a post on a message board that caused me to feel as much envy as this one does:

So matter of fact...:D

Crozet Beat likes this.
  11. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Of course, calling me "Al" would just be silly;). I've mentioned this many times in the past... that's why it may seem so matter-of-fact here. The occasion was ANYTHING but that. Just amazing. And I'm so fortunate to have heard things VERY few have, including one of the early takes of Not Guilty with Chris Thomas still playing electric piano (not harpsichord) and with a live, guide vocal from George. Just spine-tingling!! Ron

12. Serenity Now

Serenity Now Forum Resident

I've always presumed that Lennon does the solo on the fantastic BBC cover version of Sweet Little Sixteen, can someone confirm this.

13. Naked 9

Naked 9 Well-Known Member

It's amazing! If you're not mark L. Who are you, Brainwashed??? It's my dream to be able to listen to all the "takes". Tell us more!

14. Onder

Onder Senior Member

That is correct, there is John singing! From the isolation you can hear that he is singing the lowest part of the 3part harmony.
    C note on 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 and C# on all good children go to heaven.

Ondra

15. Serenity Now

Serenity Now Forum Resident

Nobody able to confirm this one? I always thought it was a great solo, full of Berryesque double stops, with similarities in style and guitar sound to the solo on You Can't Do That.
    What about the BBC version of Lonesome Tears In My Eyes. Is it John or George who plays the lead guitar? Always thought it was a bit too rough and ready for George.

16. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

It is John on both of those.

17. JazzPolice

JazzPolice Well-Known Member

Absolutely awesome thread. Thank you for posting.

18. Is it documented who plays the lead guitar part (many lines) on the outro of "Revolution #1"? I would go for John on this one. I love this guitar BTW; it adds the necessary down-and-gritty touch to balance out the polished arrangement, which I have never been a fan of... Though it does give clues on how to play the song correctly on the guitar, which is hard with the single version!

19. wags262

wags262 Forum Resident

Yes, please, won't you write a book or something? Aside from boots, most of us can only dream of listening to what you've heard.
    WE WANT DETAILS! Thank you!

Naked 9 and ParloFax like this.
  20. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

John didn't play lead on Good Morning Good Morning, Paul did.

One song no one mentioned is Run For Your Life...John played the solo on that. Yer Blues, too...

Studio_Two and Onder like this.
  21. The first one only, not the one with the high piercing notes.

vonwegen, Onder and DrBeatle like this.
  22. Has anyone mentioned John playing the solo in "Honey Pie" yet? To the best of my understanding that is him on the solo. As I glanced over this thread I didn't notice any mention of it.

23. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

It was mentioned earlier in the thread. He played the "solo" in When I'm 64, too.

vonwegen and linclink like this.
  24. And I really like his "Honey Pie" solo. It may not sound like much to some, but I find it tastefully played and very melodic. And it links well and subtly to Paul's ad-libing "I kinda like that...", etc.

petem1966 likes this.
  25. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I realize this is off topic but I was intrigued by the comment on Paul's solos - Another Girl, Taxman, Good Morning, Drive My Car (slide) and a few others. What are the others?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.