Beatles guitar solos by John Lennon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tagomago, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Lennon does play the riff part of the solo at live shows, then George. On the record, there are pedal swells and rhythm guitar on the 'live' track and the solo riff and 'twiddly' parts are overdubbed.

2. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Both Paul and George play lead on the track.

3. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Agreed, I always thought that one just ended way to abruptly and sloppily.

4. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

The actual real live solo doesn't peter out so quickly, George plays some bad notes before giving up. It's faded on the released versions, but the live broadcast here at 4.02-6 reveals a couple of bad notes mixed out or down on the single and album(s).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  5. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

This is just from memory but isn't he playing chords in the break mentioned, is it really a solo?

6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Sounds like a solo.

7. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Please and thank-you.

8. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

You cant always trust what is locked on the same tracks on the MOGGS. They were created with the purpose of "guitar gaming" so sometimes things that had seperate tracks were put on the same tracks in the MOGGS. The MOGGS are revealing as to what is played but not as to how the 4 and 8 tracks were. They are NOT straight transfers. Case in point is Taxman where parts shifts tracks to make the gameplay interesting.

heatherly likes this.
  9. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Re slide. Don't know who is playing it but at least one of the versions of Lucille has a slide lead on it. If not both (can't remember right now).

10. slane

slane Forum Resident

Isn't that just the wild use of the tremelo bar? I'm fairly sure it is.

11. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Did George play the "stinging" guitar solo on the album version of the song "Let It Be" in addition to the mellower solo on the single version?
    I was thinking it was John who played the solo on the album version and George played the solo on the single version but it seems like it was George who played both versions based on an online source.

12. slane

slane Forum Resident

All George. There's actually 3 solos. You can hear the original wiped solo (but leaked onto other mics), complete with bum note.

Onder and AudiophilePhil like this.
  13. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Recording the Beatles specifically says a mellotron was used for the slide parts. A mellotron could and can be loaded with tapes of anything - the Spanish guitar riff at the beginning of "Bunaglow Bill," for example

14. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Did you read my post?
    Lewisohn says specifically that the Paul's stinging part was played by George. That's where his mistake is.

Ondra

15. I didn't know that. I was aware of B. Bill using the Spanish guitar tape of the mellotron. Those tapes usually sounded "old". That slide part sure sounds clean.

Notes taken!

Hall Cat likes this.
  16. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I wasn't there, i'm just repeating what I read!

17. And it begs another question. A rock group like The Beatles needing an "instant" concert flute, oboe or virtuoso Spanish guitar part and relying for this on the mellotron is one thing, but a couple of metal slide moves along a guitar neck...

Maybe it was for the heck of it!

18. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Yes, I know how they were created and what they represent. In case of Run For Your Life they actually tried to separate the acoustic guitar which IS locked with the drums on the same track.

Ondra

heatherly likes this.
  19. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

a new toy sort of thing perhaps

20. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

You're right, it's pretty short but it's not a fill. I can honestly say though I never thought that was guitar! I always assumed it was a flute or recorder or piccolo, so I was thinking of the downstrokes on guitar in the song (more prominent in certain parts) as a solo.

In terms of the notes themselves, it sounds a little tentative to me, hardly Reinhardt Django. :) But it's a great song, I so love The White Album. It proves it's crazy the band broke up when it did.

21. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

That was George.

Onder likes this.
  22. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Sorry, I meant Django Reinhardt.

23. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Yet George does play lead guitar also which your initial post denied. Did you not read that?

24. elvissinatra

elvissinatra Forum Resident

Friday 3 March: "... After the musicians had secured Beatles autographs (a common practice) and gone home, George Harrison became the focus of attention with the overdubbing of a stinging -- and much distorted -- lead guitar solo onto the same song, now complete except for one final overdub on 6 March." (The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions, 1989 paperback edition, p. 101)

Friday 3 March: "... After the horn players had secured Beatles' autographs (a common practice) and gone home, George Harrison became the focus of attention, overdubbing a much distorted lead guitar solo onto the same track." (The Complete Beatles Chronicle, 1992 paperback edition, p. 247)

Clearly, the man is human (if indeed Paul played the overdubbed guitar solo).

25. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Sorry, I should have made it clear that in the book he is specifically talking about the stinging guitar overdub and says it was played by George which is incorrect. Sure, George played lead also but not this one.

Ondra

nikh33 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.