Beatles' guitar solos not performed by George

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Yep - Challenge Records, with Bruce Botnick at the controls - picture in the liners for the Sundazed Knicks' comp has a handwritten bill from Bruce - 9 1/2 hours recording for $142.50! Guess I shoulda put Lies in quotes so it'd be more funnier... ;)

2. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

Not a solo, exactly, but I remember reading an interview with George where he said Paul did the feedback at the beginning of It's All Too Much.

Re: And Your Bird Can Sing, I had a friend back in college days at Berklee who learned to play both lines at once, before he figured out it was two guitars. Pretty cool!

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

True, Paul also started the feedback at the beginning of "I Feel Fine" and then switched over to John for the rest of the noise on the intro.

Of course that is John playing the opening guitar licks.

4. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

That's John's great guitar on Paul's "All My Loving"

5. Steve Hoffman

IMO John was an amazing guitar player. His little solo on "You Can't Do That" is truly a gem.

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The three of them were all accomplished guitar players. That's why I like the beatles so much and that is why I started to learn the guitar. Listen to anthology you can hear good guitar work on the demo tapes and pre-production tapes. Makes me want to get out the guitar and start playing.:cool:

7. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Steve,

"You Can't Do That" is killer...especially at John's solo with Ringo's drums & cowbell going at it, the second guitar and Paul's bass, amazing! That solo part takes the song to another plateau. One of the many high lights on "A Hard Day's Night" album.

Joe

8. Steve Hoffman

Agreed. A great song. That's George on 12 string electric doing the intro.

9. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I remember reading somewhere that it was George's favorite Beatle song for guitar playing.

10. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Who plays the guitar intro to "She Said, She Said"? John praised the track highly in the Playboy interviews--apparently they pushed the treble through about three EQ channels to get that real snarly tone. Great song too--lotsa cool time changes, interesting rhythm arrangement.

Gardo

11. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Yes the rhythm guitar is John but that great rockabilly solo is by George - a challenge to nail for even the most accomplished guitar players.

12. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Guitar solo :confused:

13. Steve Hoffman

Usually the writer played the intro, in this case John, but it sounds like George to me. Someone know?

14. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

For me side two of that album is just about the best Lennon side of all.

15. Steve Hoffman

quote:
    Originally posted by Steve Hoffman:

The trick in speaking to anyone famous, so you don't come off like a loony fan is to ALWAYS ask them this first, no matter where you bump into them:

"What are you working on"?

That's the FIRST thing I ask. Puts them at ease, and they love to talk about current projects. Once they are comfortable, you can squeeze in a few questions about the past.

It works like a charm. It also works for actors and writers as well!

So, repeat after me:

"What 'cha working on"?

That's the ticket!!!!

This works well when you run into famous actors at Deli's or at the supermarket. I ran into Jamie Farr a while back at our local market and of course I asked him what he was working on. He smiled and talked about some dinner theater production. I saw humorist Mort Saul at our local Beverly Hills deli and bingo, put him right at ease. It was only later in the conversation that I told him how much I loved his work. If you start gushing right away they back away from you in terror!

:laugh:

16. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

The problem in your case Steve is to work out, when you run into these people, who says it first! :laugh:

17. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Mister Kite??!!

The google site that Joel referenced perplexed me. It refers to a guitar solo on
    "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite". As far as I can remember (I don't have the song here at work), there's no guitar solo or, for that matter, no guitar at all evident on that track. Am I missing something? Also, it says that the solo on "I call your name" may be John. But if you listen to it, I believe it's fairly apparent that it's George taking the solo on the 12-string, with John goosing the 2/4 rhythm along nicely with his aggressive chording.
    I, too, love John's solo on "I Call Your name". I also love the way he slides into the first chord behind George's intro--it's also very aggressive and it even sounds like the chord isn't even played exactly "correctly"--but it's just got a great feel to it.

18. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Another great John guitar contribution: The intro on the 45 version of "Revolution"! George allegedly didn't like it because it was "too distorted" (!!)

19. Steve Hoffman

The guitar solo on "I Call Your Name" is Mr. George Harrison. And let me tell you, it is a BITCH to play that correctly on a Rikki 12 string like he did!

20. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I'm Down

The plot thickens. I listened to the Anthology version of I'm Down only to find two seperate parts to the solo. The first out of the left channel is much the same as the beginning of the regular version, the second part (out of the middle) cuts in as the first ends and involves a lot of bending. Could the first half be George and the second half be Paul?
    Anyone know?

21. Drlep

Drlep Forum Resident

Re: Harrison's solo on "I Call Your Name." Absolutely one of my favorites by George. Really, how could you mistake that solo for the work of anyone else? It is quintessentially George. In fact, his work throughout the "Long Tall Sally" EP is absolutely exemplary. He is the one Beatle who doesn't have a vocal on that four-song set and I think in compensation he rips out simply lovely guitar solos on each of the tracks. In fact this EP is, for me, one of the highlights of Harrison's Beatles career which is one reason the EP remains a favorite of mine.

It is odd, over the years, how many Harrison Beatles solos I have memorized. Not intentionally, of course. But some of them are of such a piece with the melodies themselves that I can sing the George solos when they appear. They seem very simple, but at their best his solos have an elegance and a real compositional logic to them. I say this NOT as a musician, which I am not. (The only things I know how to play are records). In fact, if you were to remove his best solos from Beatles records -- just edit them out -- there would remain obvious holes, so a part of the records have those solos become.

Anyone else memorize any George guitar solos?

22. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

Steve,

Check out the 2 guitar solos on The Beatles' "Long Tall Sally" - first one is John, and it's very much like "You Can't Do That."

The second solo on "LTS" is George.

23. xios

xios Senior Member

Here's a pet theory of mine: the solo on "Day Tripper" is in two phrases- and it sounds like two different guitars- to me the first phrase sounds like Paul and the second phrase sounds like George. Anyone else think so?....

24. NGeorge

NGeorge Forum Resident

It's already 2002 and I still enjoy reading about The Beatles ... in any form. Be it George's licks (currently), or John's, any time is a good time when it transports me back when I was young and not so innocent.

Keep 'em coming!

George

25. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I've Just Seen A Face has two acoustic guitars.I'm wondering if the short solo is Paul's.Great Thread!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.