Beatles label question on Let it Be.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sam, May 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam

Sam Senior Member Thread Starter

Guys, I've been to Yoko Ono's site on all the Beatles records released around the world over the years. Great site! What I don't see on there is a Let it be British pressing that I have. The label on the record matches what Yoko has a picture of for the first release of Let it Be in the U.K. It's the lp jacket that confuses me. The back DOES NOT have any apple. Rather there is a rectangular box at the bottom that says "parlophone" and "EMI". Below that it says something like "Made in England" so I know it's British. I have not seen one that says Parlophone other than mine. Thanks for the help.

Sam

2. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

Is that really Yoko Ono's website, or just a website with her name in it? (not a trick question) :cool:

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Re: Re: Beatles label question on Let it Be.

Probably neither. The owner's name on the site is Masanori Yokono. And it's yokono.com not yokoono.com:)

4. bob g.

bob g. Senior Member

READ the homepage, Masanori (given name) Yokono (surname). Nice guy, displays his collection as is, gives as much info as he knows and that's it, a couple of mistakes but no more than most weblogs. Thanks Yokono-san.

thanks mcow1, you're first.

5. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

You have the box Let It Be? It looks to me like the only ones shown there are the ones inside the box.

6. Sam

Sam Senior Member Thread Starter

no, I don't have the box set. The label on the lp matches what is shown for a first UK pressing--green apple, etc. It's the back cover that I can't seem to find anywhere. Says parlophone. Not apple.

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Maybe it's a copy pressed in the U.K. intended for export to another country?

8. xios

xios Senior Member

I have a first press Let It Be with parlophone logo as well. Tracks, a UK memorabilia shop, used to say that they went in the original box set, but other UK vendors said the red apple version went into the box set (my box set has a red apple logo cover). My copy has an extra "P" in the catalogue number, so maybe it's an export sleeve- but the disc is a regular stock dark apple with no catalogue number change. I have seen red apple and parlophone logo originals around without box sets (my first purchased UK copy from 1972 had the later mouldy green logo and came cellophane wrapped with the Get Back book!), so it seems confusing. When the UK put out the box sets in the early 1980's, copies of Let It Be again had the Parlophone logo. These copies have the glossiness stamped onto the cover rather than layered like earlier pressings. Happy hunting....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.