Beatles: Let it Be (album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Keith V, Nov 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok. I know, another Beatles thread. And I know, this album maybe could have been better. And I know, Phil Spector turned out to be a convicted killer.
    However, I'm just asking about the album as it is. Personally, I like it. I've heard the Get Back albums.
    The Naked album.
    I prefer the official version. It has variety and a weird cohesiveness.
    It's my favorite of the alternate versions.
    Anyway, as an album, how do most of us view it?

As a semi important side note, it was one of the few full Beatles albums I'd heard back in '83 or thereabouts.
    It didn't sound too "Beatley" to me yet I thought ( as a preteen) it was pretty cool (I hadn't yet heard the White Album)

So, yeah, do we like it? :)

2. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I prefer the original version as well.

I love the chatter in between songs and kind of wish they did more.

Let It Be...Necked, took all of the charm out of the original and left us with cold frankenedits.

And it missed a golden opportunity to give us a ton of outtakes instead of the fly on the wall.

3. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I don't like it and prefer "Naked." I wish Let it Be and Long and Winding Road were single only releases or included on the Hey Jude album instead of the earlier songs.

4. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah. Well said. The album (especially if you don't know the back story) has a wonderful charm to it. A good listen

telepicker97 likes this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

One of the dozen or so best pop or rock LPs, though not the best that could have been made from the recordings they did in Jan 69.

Keith V likes this.
  6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Its ranked near the bottom on my list of Beatle favorites.

When I make a mix for the car I drop all the filler and replace it with Dont Let Me Down. Makes it a little better.

Coincidentally I found myself listening to ...Naked last week, probably for the first time since the year of its release. Its got some good things going for it, but annoys me by 1. Using alternate Dont Let Me Down 2. Dropping Get Back tag 3. Adding all that modern sounding effects to Across The Universe. But I kinda like it anyhow. Bonus disc is useless. Should have contained 70 minutes of unused songs.

saborlord123, Jayseph, FJFP and 4 others like this.
  7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I have a hard time enjoying that album.

Most of the songs are excellent, the playing is fine, and Spector's production isn't that bad, but I dunno... there's a sort of malaise that permeates it and that bums me out.

8. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

Yes, I think it's more enjoyable if you haven't seen the movie. The album conveys a chummy homespun atmosphere which is the antithesis of the actual sessions.

9. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

See, for me, that is NOT in the grooves. I think that feeling is brought to the album through our knowledge of what was happening in the studio, not to what we hear.

BeatlesBop, NumberEight and Keith V like this.
  10. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I like the album and prefer the original release. I wish the orchestration had been toned-down a couple of notches though.

Scott

BeatlesBop, Millington, Mr. H and 2 others like this.
  11. tdgrnwld

tdgrnwld Forum Resident

Put me in the camp that prefers Get Back, for all its flaws - the initial Get Back compilation, not the one with Across the Universe and I Me Mine. (That said, I think I Me Mine is fantastic in its original version.) I think I would prefer even more a lightly edited release of the rooftop concert.

seacliffe301 and Keith V like this.
  12. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Not my favorite Beatles album, but I do prefer the original Phil Spector. It's history, for better or for worse, if you read the story of the Beatles concerning this album alone.

Keith V likes this.
  13. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

was it the swan song? or did abbey road come after? either way it is their swan song......and not a bad one...i have the naked cd......it's good enough.....

Keith V likes this.
  14. action pact

Completely possible!

15. action pact

Abbey Road was recorded later than Let It Be, but Let It Be was released after Abbey Road, which is kind of unfortunate.

16. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I like it very much.

button and Keith V like this.
  17. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

It's not one of the Beatles' best albums but not because of Phil Spector. Overall, he did a good job producing.

Smartin62, starduster and Keith V like this.
  18. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Agreed. It was one of my first Beatles album purchases when I was a kid (Abbey Road and the White Album being the first two). I loved it. Still do. I can see why people wouldn't rate it though.

Keith V likes this.
  19. I like both but the original is a little too glossy sounding with the strings and prefer Naked.

theMess, KASHMIR and Keith V like this.
  20. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

"This is a new phase BEATLES album..."

The only Beatle album that might of needed some ad-copy spin to move it off the racks. Always enjoyed its vibe, though. It comes off as a mature effort.

[​IMG]

Yorick, EVOLVIST, Slokes and 2 others like this.
  21. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I wish they had just kept on keeping on with the "Get Back" album and released it the way it was originally supposed to be released, and with that cool cover...

saborlord123 and Keith V like this.
  22. action pact

There were tons of copies of this LP in the cut-out bins in the mid '70s. There were a lot of pirate copies pressed too.

23. Gone4ABurton

Gone4ABurton Forum Resident

Some love here for the original Spector LP. Much prefer it over the Glyn Johns & Naked versions. And for all the angst over the "overproduced" Long and Winding Road, that version did make it to #1 in the U.S.

24. Trixie Jones

Trixie Jones Raining in my heart

Love it. Not a huge fan of The Long and Winding Road, and a couple other songs could use some toning down, but there are some great John/Paul moments on the album. I've Got a Feeling, Two of Us, One After 909, and even Maggie Mae (yeah, I actually love it). I first heard it as a kid, so I just love all of John's banter on the album... and I even like Dig a Pony. (Yes, I'm the one!)

25. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of revisionism, or trying to rewrite history, so I prefer the original. It was only McCartney who didn't want Spector to produce it. To me, Let it Be and The Long and Winding Road MUST have the strings in them. McCartney's justification to the contrary is simple revisionism since Wings used to perform The Long and Winding Road with a horn section replacing the violins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.