Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

We have been asked not to even discuss bootlegs in this thread which is getting attention from the label

2. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Good. Hello, UMG, can we have Let it Be on DVD please? Ta muchly.

3. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Well then perhaps we should not be discussing what we expect Giles Martin to do with the de-mixing either?
    Because we might hurt his feelings and UMG and Giles may be watching.
    Remember, those Martin's feelings are easily hurt. Even though Ron Furmanek remixed the songs on the official Apple MMT VHS re-issue, his name was omitted from the reissue and George Martin's were used, so that poor George Martin's feelings wouldn't be hurt.

Hey Giles: Do a good job. Be a bit adventurous and remix this to sound good. Don't put the drums over at 3PM.
    And yes, we know this is a concert and the folks in the rear of the Bowl probably wouldn't have heard it in stereo but that's not a reason for you to put everything in the center either. And for the movie, don't use that highly technical and futuristic method of yours that turns the speakers to the wall and uses the "bounce off the wall" technique. Did you win a Grammy for devising such a truly inspired method of developing "surround sound"?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Stare at the Yellow Submarine Songtrack artwork. Perhaps, it will take your mind off of the Hollywood Bowl cover.

Clark V Kauffman and qwerty like this.
  5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

If UMG is watching, here's my $.02.

Don't cheap out and use United to press the records!!!

dewey02 likes this.
  6. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Sorry if I reignited the bootleg kerfluffle. I deleted my, in all honesty, pretty tame post. But, if big brother is in fact watching, I'd like to see a true Capitol Box Set, Volume 3.

7. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

It was a songtrack/soundtrack to an animated film, what was it supposed to have on it?
    I actually like that cover FAR better than the original YS soundtrack cover.
    It has the bands name, the name of the album and a submarine.
    The Live at the Hollywood Bowl has:
    • The name of the album
    • The name of the director of a movie for which this is NOT the soundtrack album
    • The name of the movie (larger than the title of the album itself) for which this is NOT the soundtrack album
    • The name of the band in giant letters
    • A photo of the band that has nothing whatsoever to do with the venue (Hollywood Bowl) or the performance (the band on stage)

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I think the YSS cover is ugly looking. I don't really care though. It's all about the music and sound to me.

Mr. Explorer, Kim Olesen and brettb33 like this.
  9. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Albums with worse covers than the new Hollywood Bowl (IMO):

Rock 'n' Roll Music (the Happy Days album)
    Reel Music (A for effort, F for result)
    Past Masters (F for effort, F for result)
    1 (more inartistic minimalism)
    Let It Be... Naked (WTH?)

10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

No, not good...we don't need this board shut down.

11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Just enjoy the music :)

12. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

I do. I enjoy a good artistic album cover also.

applebonkerz likes this.
  13. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

It IS good that they're looking at our thread.

zobalob, musicfan37 and Lewisboogie like this.
  14. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Well, this concept is more suitable for "The Beatles Sing For Shell", which was the Channel 9 Network special recording of The Beatles 1964 performance at Festival Hall, Melbourne, Australia, which was sponsored by Shell. A wonderful fab four performance capturing their live greatness. Which should be their next live CD/blu-ray video, but will never be because it's in living b+w. And because it's the Australian tour, which had the greatest expression of Beatlemania which is unknown to the rest of the world due to the poor global communications of the day. And because the US corporations don't really think a great deal of Australia. And neither does the UK. I better stop typing before my rant gets me into too much trouble.

hazard, Mr. Explorer and Skywheel like this.
  15. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

If Capitol reads something here that they don't like, what will they do? Put an even worse cover on their next Beatles release?

16. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

What has Capitol to do with Beatles releases in 2016 or the future?

17. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Don't worry, most will get over it!

18. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I hope the "demixing" has moved on since Rock Band and the examples the gave on radio back in 2009. I recall Taxman being used for one and it sounded bloody awful.

Not holding my breath...

Tommyboy likes this.
  19. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

That the bass and drums and rhythm guitar are no longer mashed all together means that the mix can simply be more immersive than was previously possible. There is no need to pitch correct, stretch, or replace anything.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  20. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Of course not, but just imagine actual separation between the instruments for the first time ever. I enjoyed the original Hollywood Bowl album for what it is, but it certainly didn't compete with the studio albums for sound quality.

Now it could actually sound better than the original studio albums in some regards.

I certainly thought from a high-fidelity point of view that Giles Martin's recent Beatles remixing has been a success. It could still be argued that some of the studio effects re-creation or placement in the stereo picture could've been better/ closer to the original mixes.

DmitriKaramazov and Kim Olesen like this.
  21. noirbar

noirbar Forum Resident

No matter what else they do to the mix, if they can just bring down the screaming a few dBs, I'll be thrilled!!

obi and Tommyboy like this.
  22. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

And the band blocking half of the logo! ;) I'll get over it but it did strike me as a confusing cover.

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This.

I don't care that much about the cover or how you decide to place the instruments in the new mix. Just turn down the screaming.

DmitriKaramazov and Tommyboy like this.
  24. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, just like there was no need for the complicated edits of some of the 'Let It Be Naked' material, or editing and looping outtakes on 'Sessions/Anthology' ;)

(Bass & drums are one one track of the Hollywood Bowl tapes, with the two guitars on another, BTW)

Tommyboy and Mark Wilson like this.
  25. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The entire story sounded ridiculous and implausible to me since i first read about it a few moments ago. Like Mike McCartney wouldn't tell his brother about the first generation Hollywood Bowl tapes laying around at the first opportunity. Like anybody who had a chance to remix Hollywood Bowl wouldn't have dubbed it down to a cassette, cd-r, something/anything. Like Capitol would just happen to lose the tapes in the first place....

Lost In The Flood and Tommyboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.