Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swedwards1960

swedwards1960 Forum Resident

My LP was signed by Bob Eubanks and Dick Biondi at the Chicago Beatlefest.

therockman and Mazzy like this.
  2. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Do we know for sure if this is actually the final artwork? It looks more like an ad or a poster for the release, not the product itself.

3. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I don't think the original cover art ever stood a chance of being used, being that it was a Capitol creation and we already know what George Martin (and Apple) thought about Capitol and their lousy engineers that couldn't record the Beatles properly so that George had to add more screaming to make it releasable.......

4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

You forgot the latest Beach Boys Party Naked which is pretty bad IMO!

5. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Point taken.

6. music4life

music4life Senior Member

That cover is HIDEOUS! I wish they had stuck with the original...

applebonkerz likes this.
  7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It really surprises me that they changed the cover. The Hollywood Bowl LP may not be an original studio album, or have the iconic status of the Red and Blue albums, but it's still a historical, official Beatles release. The old cover was perfectly fine, if rather beige. And even if it were hideous, and even if they had come up with something good, I still don't think changing the cover would have been the right thing to do.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  8. Agree. I think a slightly revision of the ticket and Bowl would have been better.

9. Squealy

Yeah, a modified version would be ok. The original cover was meant to be seen at LP size so for CD they might want to blow up those images a little and not have so much empty space. Lots of CD artwork was revised in the same way. But the cover still looks alright as is when reduced too.

10. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Yes, but the album is a tie-in to a new Beatles product (the movie) so I can see why they might think that a different cover makes sense. But, what do I know. I just buy their stuff.:shrug:

cartologist and Tommyboy like this.
  11. Squealy

Maaaaaybe it's a booklet and the original cover is on the second page, and you can remove the front and back of the booklet and use the original cover instead. Like the old McCartney Collection booklets, where you could take off the cover with the huge white border because the full size cover was behind it.

But I don't know how likely it is that it's a jewel case design -- based on the Beatles releases of the past few years, not very.

12. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I think with the bleeding over of the crowd screams, any artifacts won't be as obvious as if they were "demixing" an original stereo mix, a la The Beach Boys a few years ago.

Mr. Explorer and Mark Wilson like this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

My guess is that any of the songs on the new Hollywood Bowl CD that also appear in the film will sound different. I think there will be more "manipulation" of the sound for the songs in the film. Just like on the "1" DVD, how they flew in part of the guitar (and even piano) to boost up the sound of the live version of "A Hard Day's Night" from Paris 1965. But for the CD itself, I think Giles and Apple will be more "honest" with keeping any "tricks' to a minimum.

14. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Or like the Yesterday and Today CD cover.
    If they gave us a paste over of the original Hollywood Bowl cover, so we could hide the atrocity cover, I would like that.
    This Ron Howard cover is just as repulsive as the Butcher Cover, but just in a different way.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  15. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

This is great news, thanks for passing on the details!!

16. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

No, I didn't. However, repetition is a good thing with this type of news. Thanks for indulging me. I'm in the camp that prefers the new album cover photo over the original.

17. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

NumberEight likes this.
  18. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

Yeah the beige was the one thing I didn't like about the original cover. It looks rather mid-1970s.

19. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

It'd be fun if Giles and his engineering staff would DeMix "She Loves You", "I'll Get You", "Love Me Do", and "P.S. I Love You" and make stereo versions of those similar to what was done here....

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Dear God, no, please, no.

21. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Yes, as someone previously mentioned, Apple and Universal are watching this thread.
    Let's not be giving them any ideas like this that they may actually decide to attempt.

22. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I wouldn't mind it so much and kinda wish they did it for the "1" remixes from last year. It's very effort intensive but I've heard good results in the past from amatuers and if done carefully/conservatively, they could achieve something decent. At the very least, listenable and different. On how many CDs do we already have good mono transfers of these songs?

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

None.

Lownote30 likes this.
  24. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Point taken :p master the whole catalog well first, but after that… please don't rehash the same mixes for another 30 years. The 1+ blu ray/CD was a breath of fresh air and I was happy to hear new mixes on the majority of that disc. It's still in my car.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.