Beatles Live at the Star Club: Can new remastering techniques help these recordings?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Edward Heck, Apr 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edward Heck

Edward Heck Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am a newbie here so forgive me if I have overlooked a similar thread-if so, kindly direct me there. I'm sure you will agree there are many very powerful and awesome sounding songs in the session that, if they could be cleaned up some how, would offer an amazing and historical group of Beatles recordings. Can new(er) technologies hold any hope for Live at the Star Club? Would it not be mind blowing to hear "Sweet Little 16" from that performance if you could hear it clearly?
    Any interest here, or am I alone in my thoughts?
    Great forum-I have learned a lot here. Dean

chrischrischris and Lewisboogie like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I wish you could hear those RAW tapes, they sound amazing.

3. Edward Heck

So you've heard them? That's awesome. Would've loved to have been a fly on that wall.......
    Looks like it's time you reach out to Giles and tell him you have a project you'd like to discuss with him....
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Steve. I appreciate it.

4. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Does Apple Corp. own these tapes? I enjoy the rough-n-ready energy of these performances. So much better musically versus the "Beatlemania" era concerts.

5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I can't wait until they demix this sucker and give us a stereo version! :hide:

dbacon likes this.
  6. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Just do with what pops up (youtube,etc...)
    raw sound and all!

Doubt Apple will visit these performances.

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Obviously, some deal was made...
    since some of it wound up on the "Anthology" DVD.

8. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

funny, i was doing that yesterday, very rocking indeed...

9. Edward Heck

In the most general sense, my idea for starting the thread was to see what I could learn from you guys about decent live recordings. Being a small-town kid and not knowing any real resources to hear this stuff, in my little world, there simply is just too few (commercially) available recordings of the Beatles live. We hard-core Beatles fans not only know they were amazing song writers, singers and instrument players, etc, but were OMG astounding in live performances (when they could hear themselves). I'm simply hungry for more. So I wondered if Star Club was resurrect-able? Eight Days A Week, while fantastic, left me a little high and dry because I thought there would be more. I had followed the internet stories of the Toronto (?) firm hired to scour the earth for "anything" Beatles live for the upcoming Beatles concert film. Where did it go???Obviously there is A LOT of good material out there---and someone's got it. Hoped to see some of that collection of footage in an "anthology"-like presentation instead of a feature length film.
    When is some entity going to officially release the "good stuff" before us older generation Bealte fans die off and interest wanes?
    PS on the You Tube advice from longdisto1. I do look there and am disappointed to see some of the (WOW-FACTOR) live performances I saved, sadly, were deleted from my "saved" videos because of copyright infringement. Does the recording industry know that many Bealte fans like me are willing to pay the bucks for this stuff?
    I look forward to your comments guys, thanks.

10. Edward Heck

Hi Kozy814. Wikipedia says the ownership was granted to the Beatles from a lawsuit in the 90's.
    Rough & ready is right! Probably about the time Brian found them. He know he was hearing something special. Dean

kozy814 likes this.
  11. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

If the original reels were available, it would be nice to get the absolute most out of what's on them by using a carefully optimized ATR with the right head and tweaking the head height/azimuth. At the very least, the digitized copy could be perfectly speed corrected and any wow/flutter eliminated regardless of any speed variations in the original recording deck.
    After that, there are many advanced digital processing techniques that could be applied, but I'm guessing there's only so much that can be done given the limited frequency range on the tape to begin with. I'm sure it could sound better than what we've got now. As I recall, the liner notes on the original LP said the tape signal was passed through several parametric equalizers for that release.

PhoffiFozz, goodiesguy and Tommyboy like this.
  12. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

There are people out there that have tried to get the best sound out of those tapes and most are a miss. but when done right, the songs can sound powerful.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  13. Ettan

Ettan Forum Resident

14. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Yes, guys in the Beatle bootleg crowd have fiddled with the Star Club as well as other outtakes. a lot of good work. I have a copy of a "remastered" Star Club that sounds way better than the original release.

rstamberg likes this.
  15. chrischrischris

chrischrischris Forum Resident

Demixed or Spectralayered into stereo, this would be a delight:

gabbleratchet7 and DK Pete like this.
  16. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

i can't say i've heard the RAW master tapes, but there's a great 2CD fanmade set using mostly better, unfutzed with sources and the quality is actually quite nice for an amateur (well, amateur-ish) recording of the time. It is the Beatles at their rockin' best. There's a punked-out energy about the Star Club gigs that needs to be heard to be believed.

Chris M and ted321 like this.
  17. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I'm needledropping my Beatles to PC and did my 1979 Pickwick 1st live recordings Volume 2 today.
    I enjoy this music, but clearly there are better versions out there. What is the best, most thorough out there? Boot or official, both?

18. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

You need to ask this on bootlegzone forum :) You'll have your answer with very little research there.

BDC likes this.
  19. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

You can actually hear the guitars on these. Don't mess with them.

20. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

79 Pickwick?

21. ShockControl

I don't know what that means.

22. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Live at The Star Club-The Executive Version.

23. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

and we don't know which album release you are talking about!

24. ShockControl

Well, apparently I don't either. Every track I've heard from the Star Club tapes has loud guitars. And that's a novelty with the Beatles, because you can't hear the rhythm guitar on any Beatles record until around "And Your Bird Can Sing" and "Dr. Robert."

dewey02 likes this.
  25. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.