Beatles Liverpool tourism

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rfreeman, May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Are you serious? Want to.Americanise the city? 30 years ago there was no Beatles tourism. There is a reasonable amount now and as stated here there are many other reasons to visit. Superb location, stunning architecture and excellent museums and art galleries. In fact I believe is it the 2nd most popular city to visit in England.

Siegmund, MoonPool, PJC68 and 2 others like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

please do...

3. Great Music Lover

Great Music Lover Well-Known Member

Well you could try a trip to Tupelo. There’s a childhood home of a pretty famous singer.

MoonPool likes this.
  4. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Been there. Note that I said "perfectly preserved." None of the furniture in Tupelo is original. The fairly new Johnny Cash home in Arkansas, I recall, has some stuff donated by the family. But the John and Paul homes are the real deal.

5. Great Music Lover

Great Music Lover Well-Known Member

According to The Echo, the houses have been kitted out with original fixtures and fittings and identical items of furniture. Both are now owned by the National Trust, and have been restored to look like the homes that Lennon and McCartney would remember. That’s not quite the same as saying that the houses still contain the original items that were there when John and Paul lived there.

Siegmund likes this.
  6. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I’ve been to Liverpool and I love it for all of the reasons you describe.

Siegmund, adm62 and nikh33 like this.
  7. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

There sure was. Jim and Liz Hughes opened the first Beatles Museum in December 1980 (entirely coincidentally). That's 38 years ago, nearly.
    This is all accurate.

8. Ivan

Ivan Forum Resident

This thread popped back up at the perfect time. I'll be in Liverpool for five days next month (staying at, of course, AHDN Hotel). I've got a few plans, but reading the opinions here has been really helpful :)

nikh33 and Gasman1003 like this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

If you are in Liverpool and have wheels, go about half an hour East and check out the beautiful little village at Church Lane, Grappenhall (South of Warrington - where George's mum lived).
    A primary school (which I attended), a Norman church and two pubs, that's it. Heaven.

WapatoWolf, sjaca, royzak2000 and 3 others like this.
  10. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

There was a (pretty basic) museum but the Beatles as a tourist attraction had not really started.

11. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

John's house has a bunch of Aunt Mimi's stuff, I believe.

12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I hope they cleaned them first ... ;)

13. vegard martinsen

vegard martinsen Forum Resident

14. Exactly. That’s why we were there in 1979 and early 1980 working on our Beatles travel book. The city hadn’t discovered what they had right in front of them yet

March 1980.

[​IMG]

15. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I first made the pilgrimage in April/May 1980, it seemed to me that Liverpool (and the rest of Britain) considered The Beatles passe. I was so glad when your book came out because it was a like a scrapbook of my trip with MUCH better photos and a professional presentation.

dbacon and Mazzy like this.
  16. Where would you recommend folks visit? My wife and I will be up there sometime in August.

17. Arnold Grove

nikh33's house ... ;)

18. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

That was actually the case at the time. In the wake of Punk, Disco and New Wave, the Beatles were as un-hip as they have ever been.

When a season of Beatles films (including Shea Stadium and MMT) was shown on British television over the 1979/80 new year period, opinion seemed to shift a little bit: as the 80s were born with the invasion of Afghanistan, people thought of the 60s as a more hopeful time but even Lennon's death at the end of that year didn't make them more 'relevant'.

The Britpop phenomenon of the late 90s really resurrected the Beatles and they still seem to have the momentum from that, even though Britpop is long gone.

Bowland, forthlin and Jack Lord like this.
  19. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

[​IMG]

It wasn't THAT bad!

The Beatle Conventions at the Adelphi Hotel were also getting into full swing in the mid/late 80's, so there was a bit of stuff starting to happen (not to mention that The Beatles Shop in Mathew St had already been open for a few years & was doing a good trade) - there's more awareness now for sure, but the period from about '84/'85 onwards when I started to spend a lot of time around Liverpool city centre was already seeing quite a bit of Beatle-related activity.

20. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I'd suggest Hope Street/Gambier Terrace area. You get a real feel of The Beatles' early days there- Ye Cracke pub, essential, the Art School, George, Paul (and Neil Aspinall's) school, John and Stu's flat...
    And Mathew Street, but go in the day time.
    Otherwise, go anywhere, friendly place. Good places to eat: Monro, Wreckfish, Brink (No booze at Brink), Il Forno, there are so many places.
    Admire the city's architecture, it really is the equivalent of Venice, Paris, Rome, etc, in microcosm.

forthlin, wayneklein and Siegmund like this.
  21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Everyone knows I live in a city centre apartment.
    Admiring the architecture.

22. Arnold Grove

But you can still charge admission. You know these Steve Hoffman Forum members would pay anything you'd charge to see your apartment... ;)

23. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I'd consider it for anyone with more than 20,000 likes.

24. Arnold Grove

In that case, I'll be there on Friday at noon. ;)

tappioha likes this.
  25. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

St George's Hall and the Walker Gallery are spectacular, as is the journey by train into Lime Street itself, those deep railway cuttings into the rocks! I've loved Liverpool since I was a child when my Auntie lived there, and she took us around the docks, then only just still in use. A great recent addition is the Wetherspoons pub built into Lime Street station - this allows you inside the heart of those great Lime Street railway buildings. I always go to the Crown by Lime Street when I'm there - a beautiful pub (although the beer is never great!), sit in the room upstairs and watch the sun set over St George's Hall. Best of all pubs is the Philharmonic, the most beautiful pub in the world!

On a recent visit I went up the Radio City tower, only a fiver for stunning all round views of the city, and also the Williamson tunnels at Edge Hill. (The mad mole of Edge Hill!). Had a good meal at the "Pen Factory".

I could walk around Liverpool forever, there is so much to it. It is the architecture that makes it. What a grand place! I recommend the Wirral too, all lovely.

royzak2000, foxylady and nikh33 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.