Beatles Liverpool tourism

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rfreeman, May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

The Philharmonic, yes - but Wetherspoons? Yuk!

Bowland likes this.
  2. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

Also, I don't know if it has already been said, but the bronze statue of the Beatles, can't remember where exactly it is but it's as you enter a shopping centre (Matthew Street?) is ghastly and looks nothing like them. Sorry if that's sacriligious but I could do without a lot of those dark metal statues. I make an exception for the Cilla one though; that is excellent and really made me smile the first time I saw it.

muffmasterh likes this.
  3. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I like the Billy Fury one at Albert Dock.

4. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

Don't be a snob! Wetherspoons are great pubs, cheap beer, well kept beer, good choice of beer, sympathetic restorations and reopenings of great old building.

More power to Wetherspoons. Don't listen to this man Americans!

muffmasterh and MrGrumpy like this.
  5. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Well ok, it was all beginning to happen 34 years ago, not 30!

6. One of the great (yet strange) nights of my life was pub hoping (including visits to several so called private spots) with Allan Williams and Lorde Woodbine. I was with @dbacon working on our book and we all got pretty shot faced.

Allan would say, "ok you buy the first round and then I'll let you buy round two and three". And of course we did pay for all the drinks.

Fun time, great stories.... This was March 1980. We also hung around that week with Ray McFall, Bob Wooler and Victor Spinetti.

This photo was for illustrative purposes only for our book's introduction . The sign was never removed.....

[​IMG]

JoeRockhead, dbacon and forthlin like this.
  7. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Dunno about the one near MATHEW Street but this one near the Liver Building is great
    [​IMG]

ShallowMemory and Bowland like this.
  8. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

My wife and I went there in 2003, while on our honeymoon.

While I am a big Beatles fan, she isn't and is more into Shakespeare. So we stayed in Coventry, and one day we took the train to Liverpool, and the next day we took the train to Stratford-on-Avon. I guess you could call that a compromise.

When we went to Liverpool, we took the Magical Mystery Tour that afternoon, and then walked around the area of (and into) the Cavern before leaving.

The one thing I remember was when the MMT bus stopped outside Strawberry Fields, and we had gotten off, taken our pictures, and got back on the bus, a young teenage boy walking home from school decided to egg the bus (meaning, he threw eggs at the bus as we pulled away). If I had to guess, I would say he was tired of us tourists. I thought to myself, we're probably helping to pay for something in your life just by virtue of being there.

Outside of that one incident, we had a good time and it is something I am glad to have done.

Statements that the place has changed a lot since we have been there don't surprise me. I hope to get there again, but I don't know when that will happen. We returned to the UK in 2017, but this time when we left London we headed west to Winchester, Salisbury and Bath, so there was no return trip that time.

9. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Anyway, welcome, tourists, to my home town, it's a great city, and you can't help but like the place.

Oatsdad, Binni, scousette and 4 others like this.
  10. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

You could go on the Ferry that runs between Liverpool and the Wirral,when we were kids we used to hide in the toilets when we got to the wirral side of the mersey so we did not have to pay (you only paid on the wirral side then), it is not free like the Statten island ferry but a nice trip

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks so much for that!

Bill likes this.
  12. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Allan was our tour guide around Liverpool as well, what a character! We had arranged for the tour at a cost of (IIRC) 30 pounds, after the tour when it was time to settle-up he said "That'll be 45 pounds.":laugh: I think I ended up paying about 35 and it was well worth it--I was getting a tour of Liverpool with the Beatles first manager. We stopped by a record shop (I think it was in Mathew St) and Bob Wooler came in so I also met him that day. At the end of the day we were at Allan's place and he pulled out a trunk full of ephemera--mostly paper items related to the Cavern and the Mersey Beat scene from the 60s. He was offering it up for sale, but I was saving my money for records and picture sleeves at the time. In retrospect I could have had some sweet memorabilia at a pretty reasonable price. I did ask him to sign my copy of "The Man Who Gave The Beatles Away." The inscription reads "I Should Have Known Better" :)

Mazzy likes this.
  13. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

I do agree the Wetherspoon's - well, the one we walked into in Liverpool - was grim. Others are better.

Beer in Liverpool may be better appreciated at Brewery Village - the Peaky Blinders bar, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  14. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I just got back from 2 & 1/2 days at Liverpool. It was the end of a 4 city vacation (the others - Amsterdam, Brighton, and Manchester - for Patti Smith concerts).

Except for the National Trust tour and a concert, I went into it unplanned, and got a bit done, but ran out of time and missed out on a lot.

Wednesday 6/6 (or 6/6 in England)............got there mid afternoon and got to my hotel (I got a good cheap place called the Tune Hotel for $38 a night, 1 block away from Mathew St.).
    did a self walking tour around Mathew Street, and then the other side of the shopping area: Jacaranda, Blue Angel. Liverpool College of Art, looked for the Mersey Beat office, but Google Maps did a bad job of it. Went to a concert - Julie Byrne at Studio 2 (tried seeing live music on my trip every night), then back to the Jacaranda for a drink to to take pictures of the basement lounge. then walked back to my hotel. Watched some of the bizarre English game shows. (Surprised by Naked Attraction........they have less strict TV laws than the US)

Thursday 6/7 (or 7/6 in England)............I'm a cat person, so went to the Cat Cafe on Bold street for an hour in the morning. Next to the Liverpool Museum for the John & Yoko exhibit. Then the National Trust tour. The Forthlin House tour guide was a substitute and was good except mentioning that one of the many songs written in the house was "Mr. Moonlight" (I saw Roy Lee Johnson in concert a few years ago). She also said Paul never visited the house since moving out (true or not, he was there 22 days later). The Mendips tour guide was great. Loved John's bedroom. I then spent the whole night at the Cavern - £4 from 7:00 on...........spent 6+ hours there.

Friday 6/8 (0r 8/6 in England)............checked out on my hotel and put my luggage in storage. Took an Uber to Strawberry Field. I was there myself and got to take lots of pictures of the gate without tons of others there. Then did a 3+ mile walk starting around the corner back to Mendips and down Menlove Av. through the park (Allerton Oak tree), Penny Lane (and all the related sites), and finished walking up to 9 Newcastle Rd and then to 12 Arnold Grove. Got an Uber back to city center and went up the Radio City tower (great views, but they don't wash their windows). Then had to rush back to get a train to Manchester Airport to go home.

Satisfying and tiring 2+ days. Missed out on The Beatles Story (which as others said is more of a tourist thing), St. Peters Church, the Casbah, Ye Cracke and some others, but saw a lot.

nikh33, deany76, coffeetime and 4 others like this.
  15. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

You were unlucky. Macca was in Liverpool this weekend and visited 20 Forthlin Road and did a short set at the Philharmonic. He was pictured with James Cordon down on the Albert Dock.

Shame you didn't get to Woolton Village where J&P met in 1957

Paul McCartney Setlist at Philharmonic Dining Rooms, Liverpool

coffeetime and AndyNicks like this.
  16. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

There's photos around from Forthlin Road too.

Woolton was my big regret, but limited time.

17. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

Glad you enjoyed our humble city

deany76 likes this.
  18. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Macca was in Liverpool yesterday with James Cordon doing that carpool karaoke, they were getting selfies in front of The Beatles statue at the pier head , just strolling round different areas.

19. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Here's a clip of Macca with a new song in The Philharmonic pub in Liverpool yesterday. A pub I know very well. Short & sweet with, I think, his regular band....

20. scousette

scousette Forum Resident

George Harrison was

as an apprentice electrician at Blackler's department store, now John Blackler's pub associated with Wetherspoon's

21. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

As a West Midlander with excellent rail connections to Liverpool, I'd agree. It has a lot to offer and not just those four men who changed music.

nikh33 and deany76 like this.
  22. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

deany76 and Deek57 like this.
  23. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

24. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

Folks can not go wrong visiting Liverpool, my birth place, of which I am very proud.

#FREE JEREMY BAMBER, 33 YEARS OF INJUSTICE.

25. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Congratulations. You completed the Hajj with a 90 percent pass rate, and you are now ahead of 90 percent of Beatles fans. It took me two trips to do it all. One has to approach these things like a military operation, pounding the pavement by 8 am with detailed itinerary for the day in hand, otherwise sights will fall out of reach.

boiledbeans likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.