Beatles Liverpool tourism

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rfreeman, May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

Here it is - I teared up just a bit (must get back to Liverpool soon, it's been too long!).

Gavaxeman, deany76 and Carl80 like this.
  2. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

The gig at the phil pub which I believe only 50 people were invited, how do people get in on these exclusive performances? I only live 30 mins away and had no idea it was happening or that he would be in Liverpool.

3. Fnarf

Fnarf Forum Resident

It's not a Beatle thing, but there's a lot more to see in Liverpool besides Beatle things: 59 Rodney Street, the former home of Edward Chambre Harman and his wife Margaret, where they lived and worked from 1948 to 1988. Hardman was a famous photographer, and the house includes his studio and darkroom, as well as living quarters. It's also on the National Trust, and is open for tours Wed-Sat. It's really interesting, left exactly as it was when Hardman died, down to the open period magazines, tins in the kitchen cupboards, and so on. The prosaic workaday world is a nice complement to McCartney's house, and to my taste is more interesting than castles and stately mansions. Rodney Street is one of the best in the Georgian Quarter, one of the prettiest and best-preserved urban areas in England.

Liverpool also has a fabulous wealth of pubs despite many closures. Besides the ones mentioned in this thread, there's the Roscoe Head, the Baltic Fleet, Thomas Rigby's, Ye Hole in the Wall (fabulous, it's about 10 feet square), The Ship & Mitre, and a zillion others. My favorite drink is a pint of mild, if you can find it.

JoeRockhead, nikh33, foxylady and 2 others like this.
  4. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Just booked our National Trust tour of John and Paul's homes for October. Its starting to get real!

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Will you be there on John's birthday (Oct. 9)?

6. EddieMann

We arrive the next day! :sigh: Maybe that's a good thing.

7. Arnold Grove

Yes, I think so.

Everyone that you meet will have a hangover as opposed to be roaring drunk. ;)

EddieMann likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Have a great time. Hope it all works out easily. My trip there was FABulous. I gained so much insight into their early years by being able to see and feel the city of Liverpool.

nikh33 and EddieMann like this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you should give private tours of Beatleland...: ) love to see it!

10. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident

Yur wife is amazing! Have fun!

11. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident

I went to UK n 2017 on guided tour. I have to say my visit to Cavern Club was amazing. Lots of young kids but they were singing along w/musician. They knew every word of Beatle songs. It was a magical & emotional moment for me. I will never forget.

12. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

So you stayed in Coventry.??????........on your honeymoon????? I didn't even know Coventry had a hotel!
    A very random choice indeed

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  13. EddieMann

We'll be spending a couple of days in Stratford-on-Avon as well. Will have to check out Coventry on one of our day trips. Of course we'll be making a pilgrimage to Tanworth-in-Arden as well.

14. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Going to the ‘pool in November, staying at the hard days night hotel, excited I am

maclen and EddieMann like this.
  15. Gavaxeman

There a great record store upstairs in the antiques market in Stratford, opposites Shakespeare birth place house

EddieMann likes this.
  16. Gavaxeman

And they do great breakfasts , I always def the hotel breakfasts if there’s a local spoons close , and some are great old buildings converted .

17. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

There's a new museum in Liverpool about The Beatles. It opened last year on Matthew Street and belongs to Pete Best's family. Lots of unique memorabilia on three floors, and they keep adding stuff. When I visited last December I got lucky and Pete Best himself was there, so talked to him for a while.

The Casbah Club (which also belongs to the Best family) is open for guided tours. Very interesting place, and my guide back in 2013 was Pete's younger brother Roag Best, who is an excellent storyteller.

The famous Beatles Story on Albert Dock is a great interactive museum of the band's history.

The National Trust's guided tour of the houses in which Lennon and McCartney grew up is fantastic.

Strawberry Field (the former Salvation Army property that inspired Lennon) will open its doors for the first time next month, and it will include an exhibition that seems to be worth a visit.

The Quiet One and Bowland like this.
  18. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Visiting the Casbah is way up on my bucket list. I need to get there soon. To meet Roag, or Pete, would be amazing.

5th-beatle and JoeRockhead like this.
  19. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

In the actual Penny Lane, there is the Dovedale Towers. A decent pub in its own right. But most famous for being, for a short time in the late 60's, home to Freddie Mercury.

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. 5th-beatle

They're really nice guys, always generously giving full time attention to whoever is talking to them. They deserve all the success on both The Casbah and the Magical Beatles Museum.

PS: I just noticed that I wrote "Matthew" but I believe the correct name is Mathew Street.

21. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I'm hung up on what I would say. I suppose I would tell Pete I wish I had been there, too. And Roag... wow, talk about an innocent bystander in Beatleology! Every question fraught with peril...

5th-beatle likes this.
  22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Roag was my tour guide when I was at the Casbah in 2013. Really nice guy who makes you feel totally comfortable.

Liverpool is a great place to visit. Also took the National tour of John and Paul's houses. Spent quite a bit of time in each place. Probably the best tourism events ever for me. Nothing commercial about it at all - it's great that the money grubbers don't control these 2 tours.

EddieMann likes this.
  23. EddieMann

We were in Liverpool about 10 days ago. Visited the Casbah and the museum on Mathew St. Highly recommend both. Roag Best walked by me at the museum. He was on a mission though.

Oatsdad and 5th-beatle like this.
  24. 5th-beatle

I bet the next few weeks will be among the busiest ones of the year for him, with preparations for the 60th anniversary of the Casbah (a full day of concerts, including the only live performance by Pete Best), plus Pete's Q&A session at their museum two days later.

I believe both events are sold out, and they will happen during Beatleweek, which will bring the biggest number of fans at once to the city in the whole year.

EddieMann likes this.
  25. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

i got to spend a week in liverpool recently and had a nice hang out with friends Jackie Spencer and Roag. Jackie’s private tours are the way to go; lots of off-the-main locations and she tailors to interest. Great to see Roag, now super busy with the new museum. i love how it’s a big sprawling building like the family home (casbah- a must see place). i also must put in a pitch again for the British Music Experience- amazing collection of original gear and artefacts 1945-present. i’ll post photos soon on my Spy Vibe site.

MerseyBeatle, EddieMann and Mazzy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.