Beatles lyrics and melodies borrowed from other songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by crimpies, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident Thread Starter

Please feel free to add to this thread with specific examples of bits the Beatles 'borrowed' from other songs.

e.g.
    Run For Your Life - "I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man" borrowed from Baby, Let's Play House
    Come Together - "Here come old flattop, he come groovin' up slowly" adapted from You Can't Catch Me
    Isolation (John Lennon) - "I don't expect you to understand, after you've caused so much pain" adapted from Oh I Apologize (the B side of Money (That's What I Want))

John, naughty boy! :tsk: Anyway I think I found another one tonight. New to me anyway!

Eddie Holland* - Because I Love Her (written by Berry Gordy#) (United Artists single, 1959)
    *of Holland-Dozier-Holland, aka the writers of Please Mr. Postman
    #Berry Gordy also co-wrote both Money and Oh I Apologize, so John was somewhat of a fanboy

[​IMG]

The song starts with the lyric "Somebody please, please help me" which bears a striking resemblance to the Beatles song Help! both in the lyric itself and its delivery.

Check out the YouTube link above and tell me I'm not imagining it. John sure had a way with (other people's) words!

Update: The phrasing on Help! might be closer to The Valadiers version of Because I Love Her, found on The Complete Motown Singles Vol 2: 1962. I can't find the song on YouTube but I've uploaded the first 25 seconds to Sendspace: http://www.sendspace.com/file/4slext

Update 2: I always thought John was referencing Help! at the 1:10 mark of Going Down on Love - now it's clear to me he's referencing Because I Love Her and Help!. Very clever John, that's why we love you. :thumbsup:

Yorick likes this.
  2. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Kathy's waltz by Dave Brubeck- go directly to 1.00 in, it's 'All My Loving'

3. crimpies

Oh wow, that's great!

4. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Tried twice - don't hear any resemblance. Have that album, and have never noticed it.

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It doesn't last long, but it's there. Arnie

vonwegen, nbakid2000 and Drifter like this.
  6. MasterGlove

MasterGlove Active Member

In the intro of "Anthem" by Ringo, you can clearly hear the first drumbeats from "Glass Onion"

7. Arnold Grove

vonwegen likes this.
  8. crimpies

Between 1:02 and 1:08, the piano melody is identical to All My Loving - "Close your eyes and I'll kiss you, tomor" - fantastic!

MLutthans likes this.
  9. crimpies

Immediately preceding that do I hear the marching from the unused intro to Yellow Submarine (from the Real Love single)

10. Arnold Grove

One more nicked by John: The first 2 notes of "Instant Karma" come from the first 2 notes of "Some Other Guy".
    John's admitted it too at the 0:21 mark:

Arnie

11. Jayce

Jayce Forum Resident

IIRC, "Bungalow Bill," according to Ringo, borrowed from a song called "Stay as Sweet as You Are."

I don't have a link.

12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I assume the song he was thinking of is actually called "Don't Ever Change". Covered by The Beatles for BBC Radio. I think some similarities to "Bungalow Bill" (nothing overt) can be heard.

theMess likes this.
  13. My Home Townes

My Home Townes Forum Resident

Always thought "In My Life" was based off of "Tracks of My Tears." Intro is similar. I believe Paul in "Many Years From Now" admitted such.

14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Jackie Lomax's ad libbing at the end of "Sour Milk Sea" was the inspiration for "Get Back". And of course George got the first line of "Something" from James Taylor's "Something in the Way She Moves".

theMess likes this.
  15. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The Beatles have admitted this ...4th time around anyone?

Anyway Sun King was inspired by the sound of Albatross.

Drifter likes this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Hey, I was talking about the musical part possibly nicked from the Dave Brubeck song for "All My Loving". I was NOT commenting about my love-making prowess! ... ;) Arnie

Drifter likes this.
  17. slane

slane Forum Resident

No, that's not the one. It was a song by Ray Noble.

18. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Michelle - I love you, I love you, I love you from Nina Simone's take on I Put a Spell On You
    I Feel Fine - guitar riff sideways from Bobby Parker's Watch Your Step
    both acknowledgements by Lennon

This one's my guess. It's an old gospel piano riff heard many times that opens Lennon's God. I think he was most likely to have heard it on Ketty Lester's Love Letters.

nowhereman87 likes this.
  19. Arnold Grove

John really loved those old obscure 45's, especially those done by R&B girl singers. Arnie

20. slane

slane Forum Resident

It may be a contentious one, but 'And I Love Her' has similarities to 'The Honeymoon Song'. The Beatles were familiar with the latter song, having played a version on BBC radio. All the elements that are missing on the early 'Anthology' take of AILH can be traced to THS. The newly composed middle eight of AILH borrows from the middle eight of THS (C#m - G#m - B), and the newly added riff comes from a very similar one in THS too.

21. Arnold Grove

John in "I Am The Walrus" also got the "I'm Crying" line and descending riff from Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' "Ooh Baby Baby". Arnie

KoraKora likes this.
  22. bktouchstone

bktouchstone Forum Resident

Lyrically, I believe there is at least an homage in the chorus of Lennon's "Nobody Told Me" to the chorus on the Shirelles "Mama Said." NTM: "Nobody told me there'd be days like these" vs MS: "Mama said there'd be days like this." To further the homage Lennon ad libs an append to his chorus "Most peculiar Mama!"

23. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

On the first day of the Get Back/Let It Be sessions, George questions whether the shouted portion of Paul's part of I've Got A Feeling isn't identical to Otis Redding's Hard to Handle. "Isn't that from that? You know like, really, exactly note for note?"

In a 1977 interview with Crawdaddy, George said, "On Drive My Car I just played the line, which is really like a lick off Respect, you know - the Otis Redding version. I played that line on guitar and Paul played [or 'laid'] that with me on bass."

Obvious trio: La Marseillaise, In the Mood, Greensleeves in All You Need is Love.

The Ballad of John and Yoko - Lonesome Tears in My Eyes: There's a nice vocal isolation of John singing the last two bars that hammers it home. (15 seconds)

24. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

How about "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" and "Stewball"?

fallbreaks likes this.
  25. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I couldn't find Ray Noble's version of Stay As Sweet As You Are in a quick search of youtube, but here's Nat King Cole's version:

Obviously the tempo is quite a bit different, but the chorus melody right from the beginning (0:15), is very similar to 'Hey Bungalow Bill, what did you kill, Bungalow Bill.'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.