Beatles meeting Oct '69, where's the tape?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YpsiGypsy, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

That's why Gilmore refers to "mixed signals", I would imagine.

2. slane

slane Forum Resident

3. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

The fact that Schaffner actually quotes Lennon means either he heard the tape, or he's summarizing an account of the tape that he read elsewhere.

The plot thickens...

4. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

i recall reading somewhere, can't remember where, that, somewhat surprisingly, George didn't like the 4 songs each suggestion--and pushed back, arguing that songs should be chosen solely on merit. hope we find out if that's true...one day.

5. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Lennon considered McCartney an equal; he considered George an inferior talent. That's the difference.

Paulwalrus and somnar like this.
  6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's worth noting that Schaffner's book appears to be the source of the myth that the cover of the Yesterday and Today album was designed to protest Capitol's "butchering" of their UK album tracklists. And he seems to have drawn that conclusion from misreading/misunderstanding a Lennon interview. So I'm not sure that his journalistic standards were necessarily that high, or that we should put much stock in an unsourced anecdote in his book.

Paulwalrus, somnar, 2141 and 3 others like this.
  7. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I even think it was even the opposite. He was doing a little home demo project of nice little half songs until it became clear the Beatles were done.
    Then he moved onto a prior studio to record “Maybe I’m Amazed”.
    I bet he was holding that song back for the Beatles until the end.

8. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

"And in the end, the song you take, is equal to the love you make!"

theMess and Zeki like this.
  9. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Yeah, that has a ring of truth to it.

ralph7109 and theMess like this.
  10. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Do you think he might have just made it up out of his own imagination?

Paulwalrus likes this.
  11. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

thanks, exactly as i remember it, although clearly Lennon is more generally disinterested than just specifically disinterested in the forthcoming single. Compare this Lennon with the Bob Harris Lennon or some other interviews he did around the time of Bob Harris, clearly the competence of the interviewer would be a big factor ( fools not sufferred gladly etc ) but even so its a different Lennon entirely.

andrewskyDE and theMess like this.
  12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yeah, I agree with "generally disinterested". In the interview itself. I don't see anything of particular note here. Sometimes, I would imagine, he just might not be in the mood for an interview (and this was a pretty poor attempt).

andrewskyDE, muffmasterh and theMess like this.
  13. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

It didn't take them long to get disinterested in their singles. They admitted they got a buzz when their first made no 18, but when they got into havi g numerOnes all the time, they stopped looking. I think even John thought they hadn't all made top spot (like, they were pretty much top ten mostly)

They obviously cared what the singles were, but once established, etc.

14. Neil Anderson

i don't like correcting other people's word usage, but i can't take it anymore. Please everyone, stop using "disinterested" when you mean "uninterested."

somnar, andrewskyDE and O Don Piano like this.
  15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D I stand by my usage: detached/bored/apathetic

Hammerpeg likes this.
  16. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

muffmasterh and blutiga like this.
  17. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

uninterested, indifferent, incurious, unconcerned, unmoved, unresponsive, impassive, passive, detached, unfeeling, uncaring, unenthusiastic, lukewarm, bored, apathetic, blasé, nonchalant;
    informalcouldn't-care-less
    "he looked at the other Beatles with disinterested eyes" :)

18. Neil Anderson

Kingsley Amis wrote "The most famous and ancient of all misuses and not for that reason any less a case of ignorant b--------. Nowadays perhaps this depraved form is responding to decades of denigration and starting to become less popular than its virtuous cousin, ‘uninterested’." The King’s English

Using "disinterested" to mean bored, apathetic, etc. would only make sense if people today commonly used "uninterested" to mean objective. Not in my experience.

blutiga likes this.
  19. muffmasterh

if we keep using dis it may enter the dictionary, uninterested to me means doesn't care, dis-interested to mean carries a slightly different meaning in that someone who may have been interested once is now interested no longer but i appreciate that thats not what the oxford might say. If others have a similar understanding to me then the word may get traction.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  20. muffmasterh

The King's English also evolves, its one of the reasons for the success of English.

Paulwalrus and kevywevy like this.
  21. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yes disinterested should be rehabilitated in language to its true meaning. But then again, is it possible to be truly objectively disinterested in anything.

22. muffmasterh

and indicating also that once may have been interested but has since become uninterested.

23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

This is how threads balloon in size!

24. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

And when balloons lose all of their air they become disflated. ;)

25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

No, I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of he heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy. And possibly he misunderstood something, or the original source material was distorted. You never know when no source is given, and as I said the fact that he got another historical detail wrong that could have easily been checked illustrates that he wasn't necessarily applying the most rigorous journalistic standards.